The Student Room Group

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by TurkeyProphet
What's all this privilege crap?

"Article 26.

* (1) Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.
* (2) Education shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. It shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or religious groups, and shall further the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance of peace.
* (3) Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.
"

It is a right!

True but so long as disruptive students arent dealt with effectively everyone loses out on their education because half the teachers time is spent on controlling the class.

The fact is education may be considered a human right, but so long as these people remain disruptive others are not being educated properly and that is wrong.
Reply 141
Original post by d4nny
An interesting point. As a middle kid, I guess you are seen to be 'where you should be' and therefore are fine, so you don't get attention.

you'd think they'd help the ones in the middle so they end up being at the top, not dropping to bottom... looks better for the school then having loads at the top. schools love to look excellent soo.. that always confused me :/
Original post by Gemma16
you'd think they'd help the ones in the middle so they end up being at the top, not dropping to bottom... looks better for the school then having loads at the top. schools love to look excellent soo.. that always confused me :/

I agree but I guess not everyone can get extra attention, because then nobody would!
Reply 143
Original post by d4nny
I agree but I guess not everyone can get extra attention, because then nobody would!

yeah impossible to help everyone :/ if it was up to me, the ones in the middle and the ones at the bottom who struggle with their work NOT the ones at the bottom who DON'T want to learn would get the most help :smile:

they always gotta do fun things, like go on trips because they didn't want to work :s-smilie:
Reply 144
Original post by d4nny
How ignorant! Have you ever even been to Africa or somewhere like that in the developing world? You are so lucky to be born into a country that has one of the best education systems in the world.

Which Africa are we talking about here? The one that got dominated by the Catholic Church and all those who resisted Christianity were killed, the one that got picked apart by the West having its populous thrown into slavery for three centuries or the one today where indigenous peoples land is raped for monetary gain, diamonds, oil or whatever else with only a few saints going over to lend a hand while the rest of us flick a few crumbs off the table so we can feel better about ourselves?

You want to get on a moral high horse? your in the wrong stable. Yes, education is a RIGHT. Whats not a right is people ****ing others over for personal gain which has been happening for centuries and will never change with that 'be happy with the cards your dealt rubbish' where anyone who speaks out should shut up and look at what they have rather than asking questions about why they have more and why others have less.

http://www.ted.com/talks/magnus_larsson_turning_dunes_into_architecture.html

They dont teach you how to do this in school and im sure they wouldn't touch it even on an engineering/architectural degree. You think such decent and helpful schemes would have round the clock coverage wouldn't you? Everyone involved to celebrate this achievement and work for a better world? But no, we are told to lap it up be happy with what we own and how the world is but still pushed to consume and spend money we dont have we got by ****ing someone else over (Middle East/Africa) on **** we dont need that was made by someone else we are ****ing over (like China)

You want to change the world then go do something about it, dont put someone else down on your pseudo moral crusade because your just as bad as they are if not worse.
Original post by Gemma16
yeah impossible to help everyone :/ if it was up to me, the ones in the middle and the ones at the bottom who struggle with their work NOT the ones at the bottom who DON'T want to learn would get the most help :smile:

they always gotta do fun things, like go on trips because they didn't want to work :s-smilie:

The solution is streaming but no one wants to admit that because it isn't politically correct to have a bright class, middle class and thick class.

Even though studies again and again show that this gets the best out of pupils.
Reply 146
Original post by arabcnesbit
Education is a privilege, not a right. If you can't behave yourself like a civilised human being then why should you gain the privilege of education?

We worry far too much in this society about helping the"poor little darlings" who can't/won't behave themselves. Lets concentrate on helping the people that actually want to help themselves instead.

In this country, yes it is your 'right' to have an education.
Original post by TurkeyProphet
What's all this privilege crap?

"Article 26.

* (1) Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.
* (2) Education shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. It shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or religious groups, and shall further the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance of peace.
* (3) Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.
"

It is a right!

How exactly is this education free? Are the fairies at the bottom of my garden going to pay for it?
Original post by EggmanD
Which Africa are we talking about here? The one that got dominated by the Catholic Church and all those who resisted Christianity were killed, the one that got picked apart by the West having its populous thrown into slavery for three centuries or the one today where indigenous peoples land is raped for monetary gain, diamonds, oil or whatever else with only a few saints going over to lend a hand while the rest of us flick a few crumbs off the table so we can feel better about ourselves?

You want to get on a moral high horse? your in the wrong stable. Yes, education is a RIGHT. Whats not a right is people ****ing others over for personal gain which has been happening for centuries and will never change with that 'be happy with the cards your dealt rubbish' where anyone who speaks out should shut up and look at what they have rather than asking questions about why they have more and why others have less.

http://www.ted.com/talks/magnus_larsson_turning_dunes_into_architecture.html

They dont teach you how to do this in school and im sure they wouldn't touch it even on an engineering/architectural degree. You think such decent and helpful schemes would have round the clock coverage wouldn't you? Everyone involved to celebrate this achievement and work for a better world? But no, we are told to lap it up be happy with what we own and how the world is but still pushed to consume and spend money we dont have we got by ****ing someone else over (Middle East/Africa) on **** we dont need that was made by someone else we are ****ing over (like China)

You want to change the world then go do something about it, dont put someone else down on your pseudo moral crusade because your just as bad as they are if not worse.

WTF? All I'm saying is that few kids in Africa even get the opportunity to go to school, and if they do it isn't as good as in the UK. Despite this, they lap it up and are truly grateful.

In China they have an even better education system than they have here. Although they have a large class size, they work from around 7 in the morning to about 5 in the afernoon with an extra 3 hours homework.

If, getting back to the subject, those disruptive pupils don't know how lucky they are, then they can f*** off.
Original post by AshleyT
In this country, yes it is your 'right' to have an education.

It shouldn't be a right. That's the point I'm trying to make? Education should be privatised. That's the only way people will take advantage of the opportunities an education will provide, if they are made to directly pay for it instead of the current indirect through taxation approach.

If they realise they are blowing thousands of pounds a year and if their parents are paying for this I think we would have very few behavioural problems in school.
Send them to Jamie's dream school.

Actually we should build a school specifically directed at yobs. Let's call it "Yob School".

In Yob school there is a very refined social hierarchy. So refined, in fact, that there is actually a huge board outside the school displaying where exactly each person is in the pecking order - because this is all that matters.

The pecking order is determined by fighting ability and general don't-give-a-f***-attitude. You match this, you reach the top and get all the babes.

At the end of the year you fight it out with each and every one of your classmates for your GCSE's. If you succeed, then you're lucky enough to get a solid punch in the face by a headmaster! Everybody's happy!
Perhaps some kind of school with a different learning environment. I don't know what would work, maybe very strict or maybe very freeflowing and organic or something. Maybe those students would do better in a different system, and children who do better in the current system can work uninterrupted.

Also we can't just expel all these students or else we end up with a mass of uneducated young people who will have nothing to contribute to society and will probably go out criming and such
Reply 152
I've had a thought. As I think this is one idea that America actually got right with regards to education. What if you had schools run by the military where you would send disruptive and unruly students. You kill two birds with one stone (so to speak). The disruptive students are no longer interfering in others learning, and the military is more likely to know how to instil discipline than regular teachers. Higher discipline means they are more likely to behave and actually learn something.

Everybody wins.
Original post by limetang
I've had a thought. As I think this is one idea that America actually got right with regards to education. What if you had schools run by the military where you would send disruptive and unruly students. You kill two birds with one stone (so to speak). The disruptive students are no longer interfering in others learning, and the military is more likely to know how to instil discipline than regular teachers. Higher discipline means they are more likely to behave and actually learn something.

Everybody wins.

Good point. We can never have enough cannon fodder.
Original post by d4nny
And you're going to pay the taxes for this?

Yep. Counselling could help a lot with their behavior and self esteem. Grow a backbone. All bad behaviour has a reason behind it. Giving them support and helping them develop their confidance is better than throwing them out.
Reply 155
Original post by arabcnesbit
It shouldn't be a right. That's the point I'm trying to make? Education should be privatised. That's the only way people will take advantage of the opportunities an education will provide, if they are made to directly pay for it instead of the current indirect through taxation approach.

If they realise they are blowing thousands of pounds a year and if their parents are paying for this I think we would have very few behavioural problems in school.

And what about parents who can't afford to pay for their childrens education?

What about the children who really want to learn and really want to better themselves, but their parents can't afford education?

Also, there's various private school students who don't care that their parents paying for their education. I know one person who constantly messed around in class and bunked off school all the time. Paying for education does not eliminate bad behavior. Especially when some children may not understand the financial implications.

Although yes i understand what angle you're coming from, 'If people directly pay for education, they'll appriciate it more'...but it's not always going to be the case at all. You could use the same angle with the NHS and other systems.

Also, what will kids do who's parents can't afford education?

And furthermore, what about those who DONT want to be in school(and want to work or do something else) but their parents force them, and pay for their education? You're likely to get behavior problems there too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 156
Original post by d4nny
WTF? All I'm saying is that few kids in Africa even get the opportunity to go to school, and if they do it isn't as good as in the UK. Despite this, they lap it up and are truly grateful.

You can be grateful for having a right as well as a privilege.

Original post by d4nny
In China they have an even better education system than they have here. Although they have a large class size, they work from around 7 in the morning to about 5 in the afernoon with an extra 3 hours homework.

Having a child spend 13 hours a day in school could only be in place to force them to get used to the slave labour pay and hours they have in China, hardly something worth bragging about or something to be considered 'better'.

Original post by d4nny
If, getting back to the subject, those disruptive pupils don't know how lucky they are, then they can f*** off.

Disruptive pupils are bored, they need different outlets so they can be moulded into something positive, leave all those who want to be educated behind to get the crap office jobs IMO.
Reply 157
Original post by limetang

Everybody wins.

Bad behavior does not magically appear and thus magically dissapear. There are usually other reasons that will not magically dissapear when being sent to military schools(for example, kids with ADHD or Autism, Military school is unlikely to help them)...It may help some children of course.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 158
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Nothing should be done! You have to learn to deal with people, to not expect everything to be perfect and sterile. :h:

Negged.
Original post by AshleyT
And what about parents who can't afford to pay for their childrens education?

They can get a loan. How do university students who can't afford to pay tuition fees upfront get an education?

Also, there's various private school students who don't care that their parents paying for their education. I know one person who constantly messed around in class and bunked off school all the time. Paying for education does not eliminate bad behavior. Especially when some children may not understand the financial implications.

The school can get rid of any pupil it wants. If I were a parent of another child at this school I'd ask why this disruptive pupil was still at the school.

Although yes i understand what angle you're coming from, 'If people directly pay for education, they'll appriciate it more'...but it's not always going to be the case at all. You could use the same angle with the NHS and other systems.

Lets do just that.

Also, what will kids do who's parents can't afford education?

See my first point.

And furthermore, what about those who DONT want to be in school(and want to work or do something else) but their parents force them, and pay for their education? You're likely to get behavior problems there too.

I think the parents would have something to say to their little darling if this was the case. Also there would be schools to fulfil every niche since it will become a free market not a state monopoly.

Quick Reply