The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laughylolly
I've heard about what the Engineering course do (know people that have went on them) but I have no idea about the Maths. I wonder if we'll do any practical work or if it will all be solving problems and learning how to proof etc.

How far away are you? I'm in North Scotland so I'm pretty far away, not sure how I'll be getting there yet.

I live near Cambridge so probably a bit closer then you actually. I am going to get the train hopefully. Yeah I did originally apply for the engineering course but then I changed my mind because i realised I much prefer maths :smile: I hope we get to do some exciting maths (i.e. no stats), but also some stuff in the evenings.
Original post by ilovedubstep
I live near Cambridge so probably a bit closer then you actually. I am going to get the train hopefully. Yeah I did originally apply for the engineering course but then I changed my mind because i realised I much prefer maths :smile: I hope we get to do some exciting maths (i.e. no stats), but also some stuff in the evenings.

Yeah. I have a feeling it will be mostly like solving unusual problems and looking at some of the more well known proofs and learning how to present proofs.

I just realized there are two Durham Maths courses now. One held from the 4th-7th and the other from the 11th - 14th. I'm on the 4th-7th one. What about you?

Sounds pretty good from the website description
Yeah. I have a feeling it will be mostly like solving unusual problems and looking at some of the more well known proofs and learning how to present proofs.

I just realized there are two Durham Maths courses now. One held from the 4th-7th and the other from the 11th - 14th. I'm on the 4th-7th one. What about you?

Sounds pretty good from the website description

11th - 14th :/
11th - 14th :/

Oh okay.

I think they decided to make two Durham courses because Bath - Focus Maths pulled out or something.
Oh okay.

I think they decided to make two Durham courses because Bath - Focus Maths pulled out or something.

Yeah, well you can tell me what it is like then when you come back. Also I agree, the description does look good. I am looking forward to the stuff about proofs.
Yeah, well you can tell me what it is like then when you come back. Also I agree, the description does look good. I am looking forward to the stuff about proofs.

Will do =)

I think we are getting more information from the uni nearer the date so that should give us a better idea of what we are going to do there.
I wish I could actually bother to read.
GCSE: 10A*s 3As and A in Additional Maths
A Level: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics. (see sig for more info...)
Unis: Oxford, LSE, Imperial, Warwick, ...
Other Stuff: Readings (Chaos theory, infinity, number theory, finance...), work experience (maths related), STEP, etc. etc...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 108
I might do, it's either maths or chemistry. I love both and I just don't know which I want to do. =/
I do chemistry, biology, maths and further maths. I'm also going to do an AS in additional next year. If I do apply to do maths I'll probably apply to Oxford, Warwick, imperial, Bristol, and either Durham or bath. :smile:
Oh and other prep: did some work experience at an accountantcy, I read, only the really interesting stuff (chaos, Fermat,topology) basically everything but stats and even worse decision! Oh and obviously I do step, but it's mainly for fun until I decide that maths is definitely what I want to do. :tongue:

Oh yeah and I tutor for gcse maths... And core 1.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 109
Original post by Hoody93
Could you imagine, tbh step is the only maths I've ever come across that I go wtf? Where do I start? Some of the question... I go to the step teacher and say so how would i do this, then she ponders and says i have no idea, i'm left thinking "greeaaat"...

I have two step teachers too. I thought that was the norm tbh. :tongue:
2 Questions:

Why have STEP teachers when it's all on the regular syllabus?

And if you do have STEP teachers, why so early when you have over a year until you need to take the exam (if you'll be needing to take it at all that is)?
Uhm Hi im jake ,
3A* 8a's and 2b's
I take Bio- Chem- Maths-Computing (Gonna drop bio)

Thinking of applying for MMORSE
(though i only know of warwick that does it, may apply to nottingham, leicester for Statistical Maths).
-I went to a few seminars/open days regarding maths through school
-LOVED 'Finding Moonshine' -Marcus Du Satoy

And i just love how everything is related to maths :smile: its like they way i look to how fast my sisters car can go but yeah

*Prolly the worst candidate here haha*

Oh yeah did some work experience at FNC, Barclays Capital, and Deloitte **
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by JakeyShakey
Uhm Hi im jake ,
3A* 8a's and 2b's

(though i only know of warwick that does it, may apply to nottingham, leicester for Statistical Maths).

And i just love how everything is related to maths :smile: its like they way i look to how fast my sisters car can go but yeah

don't worry you're not quite the worst candidate. i'm the first post, check out my gcse grades.
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
don't worry you're not quite the worst candidate. i'm the first post, check out my gcse grades.

But you do further maths haha :frown:
i wish id taken it !
but im not willing to take it for next year! >.<
Uhm Hi im jake ,
3A* 8a's and 2b's

No further maths?
Everyone, you're all beginning to worry me. You all have such amazing GCSE's compared to me, am i wrong to think i have a chance at places like Warwick (MMorse) and Southampton?

Edit: Incase you cba to look to the first post, my gcse's are 2A*, 5A and 3.5B. Also pretty sure i'm going to get 4 A's at AS.
(edited 13 years ago)
Everyone, you're all beginning to worry me. You all have such amazing GCSE's compared to me, am i wrong to think i have a chance at places like Warwick (MMorse) and Southampton?

For straight maths, Warwick give out offers to pretty much everyone who applies (I think), it's just quite a hard offer involving STEP. So it might be the same for MORSE? But I think it is good because it basically means if you are good at maths you can get in and your gcses aren't taken into account.
Reply 117

P.s. Is there any other girls on this thread applying for Maths, or is it all guys at the moment?

Welcome to the thread, as far as i'm aware you're the only girl at the moment and the only Scottish person. I'm sure there will be plenty more on their way soon though. Anyway what's 'the divine proportion' like? I'm looking for more books to read over the summer.

Hey, I'm a girl!!! And I'm from Northern Ireland btw.
And it was my idea to steal a STEP teacher so clearly I should get the best one, this data analyst person. DIBS

Oh and is anyone going to a Cambridge summer school from the 4th-6/7th July?? I'm not exactly sure on the dates but our school was offered three places and I'm going for Physics. Just want to know if anyone else is going and why there was no maths option?
Original post by chibi_oc

Yay! It's nice to know there's another girl here who wants to do Maths at uni. I've heard things about the male/female ratio for subjects like Maths/Physics/etc. but I'm sure it's not as bad as I think it is.

Original post by Reminisce
GCSE: 10A*s 3As and A in Additional Maths
A Level: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics. (see sig for more info...)
Unis: Oxford, LSE, Imperial, Warwick, ...
Other Stuff: Readings (Chaos theory, infinity, number theory, finance...), work experience (in the University of Cambridge Department of mathematical sciences), STEP, etc. etc...

Are you thinking of applying for Maths with Economics?

Uhm Hi im jake ,
3A* 8a's and 2b's

I was thinking about that too. It looks really good and I'm thinking about a career in actuarial work so...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by chibi_oc
And it was my idea to steal a STEP teacher so clearly I should get the best one, this data analyst person. DIBS

Oh and is anyone going to a Cambridge summer school from the 4th-6/7th July?? I'm not exactly sure on the dates but our school was offered three places and I'm going for Physics. Just want to know if anyone else is going and why there was no maths option?

Apologies, there was no gender symbol by your name. But the Cambridge summer school sounds good, i'm guessing it's way too late to apply?

Latest