The Student Room Group

Applying for Uni now

Hi all, I just have a few questions regarding applying for Uni for this year.

Basically, I'm decided that after taking a two-year break after finishing college, I am now going to apply for Uni this week. I've completed everything on UCAS but just awaiting my reference from my old tutor.

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure that it is still possible to apply at this time? what are the chances of being accepted into my chosen course as I have the entry requirements already? has anyone applied at a similar stage and got into Uni okay?

Would really appreciate the help, really excited about going so hopefully I won't be disappointed!

Regards
Dan

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
cutting my nails now. really excited.

regards.
Reply 2
Poor attempt at sarcasm? thanks for the help.
Reply 3
replying to this thread now. really excited.

regards.
Reply 4
Cool brah.
Reply 5
You've left it a tad late. Don't be surprise if you don't get an offer - the deadline for equal consideration was 15th January.
Reply 6
I'd say it's very late, to be honest.

Depending on how your grades are, you may get offers, but just don't expect imperial/oxford (obviously) What do you want to do/ How are your A levels? and where?

_Kar.
Reply 7
Original post by Dannnn
Hi all, I just have a few questions regarding applying for Uni for this year.

Basically, I'm decided that after taking a two-year break after finishing college, I am now going to apply for Uni this week. I've completed everything on UCAS but just awaiting my reference from my old tutor.

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure that it is still possible to apply at this time? what are the chances of being accepted into my chosen course as I have the entry requirements already? has anyone applied at a similar stage and got into Uni okay?

Would really appreciate the help, really excited about going so hopefully I won't be disappointed!

Regards
Dan

Hey, you've passed the deadline for equal consideration, which was 15th January. However some Unis accept late applications if they still have places left. So your best bet is to ring up your choices just before you send your application off to check if they are considering late applications. If they are send it off straight away! In the mean time you can look at the courses on UCAS and if they are marked with a grey x there is a good chance they are still recruiting.

If you meet and exceed the requirements and have a strong personal statement and they are still recruiting you have just a good a chance as anyone else :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Kareir
I'd say it's very late, to be honest.

Depending on how your grades are, you may get offers, but just don't expect imperial/oxford (obviously) What do you want to do/ How are your A levels? and where?

_Kar.

Thanks for the reply.

My first choice is Digital Media at Christ Church Canterbury. I've got the right grades I believe, passed with a Double Merit which my friend told me was more than enough.

I called up the Uni earlier and asked if it was still possible to apply and she said it was, didn't give me much help after that so I came here instead.

Have people applied around this time and still been accepted?
Reply 9
Hey, the deadline for equal consideration was in january, however, if your applying to the less competitive universities for the less competitive courses you should in theory be okay.

Which universities/courses are you thinking of applying too?

I would consider emailing the universities directly or ringing them to see if they are still accepting applicants.

Remember if you don't get any unconditional replies you can always go into clearing

Good Luck
Reply 10
Original post by Dannnn
Thanks for the reply.

My first choice is Digital Media at Christ Church Canterbury. I've got the right grades I believe, passed with a Double Merit which my friend told me was more than enough.

I called up the Uni earlier and asked if it was still possible to apply and she said it was, didn't give me much help after that so I came here instead.

Have people applied around this time and still been accepted?

Unless your friend is an admissions tutor I wouldn't really listen to them with regards to what the entry requirements are. In my university some people got on the course with 2 A Levels as poor as D and E, where as some other peoples course requirements where BBB etc. It just depends on how strong other aspects of your application is as well.
Well where did you apply?
Also, yeah, the deadline was in January for you to be equally considered... But if you tell us what course/unis you applied to, you may get a better response :smile:
Reply 12
Hey, I got rejected from all 4 of my choices this year (in Medicine). As you can only apply to four for Medicine, I still had an option open so I used it for Law at Exeter.

They said that they couldn't possibly look at mine with equal consideration as those recieved before the 15th January, not to keep my hopes up and that I wouldn't hear back until the 31st March.

I got an offer 1 and a half weeks later on the 16th March :biggrin:, so although they say you won't be considered equally, it in no way means that you won't get an offer.

I also managed to change one of my Medicine applications to Law and also recieved an offer late.

Good Luck! :smile:
Just apply to the courses in extra and you've got just as much chance as anyone else applying now in clearing. Also you could always call/ email university asking if they might take you. Good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by snufkin_
Hey, the deadline for equal consideration was in january, however, if your applying to the less competitive universities for the less competitive courses you should in theory be okay.

Which universities/courses are you thinking of applying too?

I would consider emailing the universities directly or ringing them to see if they are still accepting applicants.

Remember if you don't get any unconditional replies you can always go into clearing

Good Luck

I applied at Christ Church Canterbury which is the only Uni I actually want to go to, three of my choices were there. I also applied at the University of Greenwhich. My first choice is Digital Media, doubt it's the most popular of subjects, well I hope it isn't.

The woman on the phone wasn't helpful at all to be honest so I'm going to give them another call tomorrow and find out more.

If I apply this week, how long do they usually take to reply? or do they decide in June?
Original post by Thomas...
Hey, I got rejected from all 4 of my choices this year (in Medicine). As you can only apply to four for Medicine, I still had an option open so I used it for Law at Exeter.

They said that they couldn't possibly look at mine with equal consideration as those recieved before the 15th January, not to keep my hopes up and that I wouldn't hear back until the 31st March.

I got an offer 1 and a half weeks later on the 16th March :biggrin:, so although they say you won't be considered equally, it in no way means that you won't get an offer.

I also managed to change one of my Medicine applications to Law and also recieved an offer late.

You got the offer for law at Exeter? With a Med's PS? That's crazy!
Reply 16
Original post by Thomas...

Thank you, this is certainly reassuring :biggrin: I'm hoping I get the same response as I don't think I can wait another year.

And congratulations :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by Silent-Varjoisa
Just apply to the courses in extra and you've got just as much chance as anyone else applying now in clearing. Also you could always call/ email university asking if they might take you. Good luck!

How do I apply through Extra? and thank you, I'm going to call them after work tomorrow anyway :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Dannnn
I applied at Christ Church Canterbury which is the only Uni I actually want to go to, three of my choices were there. I also applied at the University of Greenwhich. My first choice is Digital Media, doubt it's the most popular of subjects, well I hope it isn't.

The woman on the phone wasn't helpful at all to be honest so I'm going to give them another call tomorrow and find out more.

If I apply this week, how long do they usually take to reply? or do they decide in June?

They can take any length of time up until the deadline that UCAS gave them. To give you an example of timescales - in my first year I applied around late March time and I got 2 replies within a week, and the other 3 replies where over the next few months.

What I think you should do is google the course director, and send them a polite enquiring e-mailing, just saying how much you would love to do the course but are wondering about if there are many places available for the next academic year and what the usual entry requirements are?

Admissions people are generally unhelpful at the moment as they are inundated with calls and e-mails with people wanting to know when they will be got back to. It's a very stressful time for them, if I where you I would send off UCAS asap and hope for the best.

Just bear in mind that this year it is one of the most competitive years for UCAS cause of the fee increase for 2012, so don't get your hopes up too much. And you may have to be flexible with which universities you want to go to and the courses as you may have to go through clearing.
Reply 19
Original post by snufkin_
They can take any length of time up until the deadline that UCAS gave them. To give you an example of timescales - in my first year I applied around late March time and I got 2 replies within a week, and the other 3 replies where over the next few months.

What I think you should do is google the course director, and send them a polite enquiring e-mailing, just saying how much you would love to do the course but are wondering about if there are many places available for the next academic year and what the usual entry requirements are?

Admissions people are generally unhelpful at the moment as they are inundated with calls and e-mails with people wanting to know when they will be got back to. It's a very stressful time for them, if I where you I would send off UCAS asap and hope for the best.

Just bear in mind that this year it is one of the most competitive years for UCAS cause of the fee increase for 2012, so don't get your hopes up too much. And you may have to be flexible with which universities you want to go to and the courses as you may have to go through clearing.

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah I can understand that, don't think she much about what I was asking either so will try again tomorrow.

I've just sent the Uni an email so hopefully they get back to me, just asked if it was still possible to apply for that course and if there were many places available.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending