The Student Room Group

graduate entry medicine is competitive because there are less places so whats used to

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by HSG1992
I will, have fun on your next gap year.

with your attitude tbh i dont care where your going yeh and i will have fun .....have fun with overloaded back to back studying....
Reply 61
Lulz. You're going down the "have fun doing what I've been denied from doing" route, seriously? Not exactly a good taunt.
Reply 62
Original post by Taffy Duck
Lulz. You're going down the "have fun doing what I've been denied from doing" route, seriously? Not exactly a good taunt.

well for the time being i dont mind...anyway hes clearly a troll....i dont care if a person says he goes to cambridge medical school on tsr unless i see them in real and they show me their offer letter.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by alia
well for the time being i dont mind...anyway hes clearly a troll....i dont care if a person says he goes to cambridge medical school on tsr unless i see them in real and they show me their offer letter.

I'd agree. In fact, I'd go further than that. It's not just qualifications....How do I know that you're not a duck? Everyone on here could be...Unless I get photographic proof of your non webbed feet and a letter from a doctor, confirming you're not a duck, then I'm going to have to assume you're a duck. And a silly duck at that.
can you remind us why should we be trying to help you?!
MEOW!

I'll offer my advice. Don't go for grad entry, it's more competitive than what it is for people with A Levels. My 3 housemates applied for med as grads this year and they were rejected from all 4 choices w/o iv. So don't assume as a grad you'll get a place, you might be stuck in the same position as what you are now.
Also, you'll have to come up with the money yourself, and with the fees rise it's gonna be ridiculously expensive for you. They'll be removing NHS funding for the 4 year courses in a couple of years I reckon, they're already doing it with things like paramedic science.

Your chances of getting in depend on where you apply. Diff med schools favour different things.
Reply 66
theres more competition for grad entry in what way????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know theres less places but do they have higher cut offs or what?

SOMEONE PLS HELP ME ON ABOVE QUES LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by alia
theres more competition for grad entry in what way????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know theres less places but do they have higher cut offs or what?

SOMEONE PLS HELP ME ON ABOVE QUES LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

More applications per place. UKCAT cut-offs might be slightly higher. More experience expected. Less chance of being short listed for interview.
Reply 68
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
More applications per place. UKCAT cut-offs might be slightly higher. More experience expected. Less chance of being short listed for interview.

oh okay thanks.:smile:
do you know of anyone who got in through graduate entry?
Original post by alia
oh okay thanks.:smile:
do you know of anyone who got in through graduate entry?

Yes.
Reply 70
Yes.

were they bio "medics/chemist/ligists",pharmacists or just life science graduates?
Original post by alia
were they bio "medics/chemist/ligists",pharmacists or just life science graduates?

All of the above, plus English, Engineering, Maths, Accounting etc.
Reply 72
All of the above, plus English, Engineering, Maths, Accounting etc.

are you a graduate entrant?
is there a thread?
Reply 73

Only a few schools have a higher applicants:tongue:lace ratio for grad med (eg. Keele). In general, it comes out at around 10:1, which is only slightly higher than your typical undergad scheme.

But you're right, the graduate applicants typically have higher entry exam scores, are more experienced and generally give better interviews.

That said, I've had a lot more success in my GEM application than I did applying for undergrad.
Learn English. Get a better UKCAT. Then **** off.

This. /thread.
Original post by alia
are you a graduate entrant?
is there a thread?

Yes and yes.
Reply 76
Only a few schools have a higher applicants:tongue:lace ratio for grad med (eg. Keele). In general, it comes out at around 10:1, which is only slightly higher than your typical undergad scheme.

But you're right, the graduate applicants typically have higher entry exam scores, are more experienced and generally give better interviews.

That said, I've had a lot more success in my GEM application than I did applying for undergrad.

exactly this is why i want want to do graduate entry because of the exp you gain...
Original post by alia
exactly this is why i want want to do graduate entry because of the exp you gain...

You'd gain just as much on your gap year volunteering.
Only a few schools have a higher applicants:tongue:lace ratio for grad med (eg. Keele). In general, it comes out at around 10:1, which is only slightly higher than your typical undergad scheme..

I dunno.. Based on the (rather old and sketchy, I admit) data on medicalschool online, school leaver chances range from 9-38% whereas the GEP courses are 5-16%.
Reply 79
Original post by winter_mute
You'd gain just as much on your gap year volunteering.

lol why does everyone want me to reapply....I CANT!!!!
sorry to sound like a prick when everyones just trying to help but the tuiton fees arent worth and i made a mistake.YES!
i shouldve done bio this yr...too bad i didnt but medicine isnt the world.
i cant sit at home forever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending