The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Normandy114
Good luck, I done some at the RD&E a couple months ago, REALLY enjoyed it.

Thanks, you too. Ah Devon!? That's where I live. Although I'm going aaall the way to one of Imperial's Hospitals in London :redface:
That gives me some confidence, one of my friends did one day work experience in one of our local hospitals... and then decided that he no longer wanted to do medicine :rolleyes:
Original post by manic_fuzz
Thanks, you too. Ah Devon!? That's where I live. Although I'm going aaall the way to one of Imperial's Hospitals in London :redface:
That gives me some confidence, one of my friends did one day work experience in one of our local hospitals... and then decided that he no longer wanted to do medicine :rolleyes:

Gotta love devon :smile:
Jesus, Imperial! Good luck, I wouldn't have even bothered applying that far, Exeter is far enough thank you :tongue:
On the work experience I was shadowing a consultant surgeon, so got to see some really cool things like key-hole surgery and got to shadow some F1 doctors/med students for one of the days, so got to ask them lots of questions about the process of becoming a doctor.
(edited 13 years ago)
Just out of interest, how do most of you go about applying for work experience? E.g. phone/letter/email etc.

I want to get a week or so at a GP nearby, so went on Google Maps and found the numbers of all the GP surgeries in like a 1 mile radius from where I live.

Gonna call all of them tomorrow :tongue: :yawn:
Original post by itsrayray:)
Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English Lit and German:smile:
How did you do in the January exams?

Cool - We do the same subjects (except I don't do English Lit)
Original post by thegodofgod
I want to get a week or so at a GP nearby, so went on Google Maps and found the numbers of all the GP surgeries in like a 1 mile radius from where I live.

Gonna call all of them tomorrow :tongue: :yawn:

I would do that, but there's a grand total of 1 GP surgery in a 10 mile radius :colonhash:
Original post by fodé
Hey, guys. I'm aplying as well this year for entry in 2012. I'm aplying for Scottish unis. No tuition fee is good! Who's with me :biggrin:? Also, any Romanians aplying this year?

People like you are the reason Scottish students are missing out on places! Because it's free! I hope the Scottish government put a stop to this crap
I would do that, but there's a grand total of 1 GP surgery in a 10 mile radius :colonhash:

lol - I've got a list of 16 in my 1 mile radius :colondollar:
Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English Lit and German:smile:
How did you do in the January exams?

Wow good choices, can't believe your doing 5! Do you have any free clases?
Bio: A (that was a very hard exam)
Chem: B (1 mark from an A :frown: )
Core 3: D (That was the hardest exam known to man so i'm not suprised)
History: C (Maybe next time :redface: )

How about you?
Reply 828
Original post by Anterior view
People like you are the reason Scottish students are missing out on places! Because it's free! I hope the Scottish government put a stop to this crap

And would that make you better qualified than a non-Scottish?
Cool - We do the same subjects (except I don't do English Lit)

:smile:they are good subjects:smile:
How did you do in the january exams?
Original post by Fluffy Chuckie
Wow good choices, can't believe your doing 5! Do you have any free clases?
Bio: A (that was a very hard exam)
Chem: B (1 mark from an A :frown: )
Core 3: D (That was the hardest exam known to man so i'm not suprised)
History: C (Maybe next time :redface: )

How about you?

Haha yeah it can be a bit busy but I do still have some frees thankfully!
Didn't do exams in English Lit and German, not till the summer.
Are you doing A2 now?
I did Core 1- 98, Stats-95
Bio-A and Chem-A
Original post by fodé
And would that make you better qualified than a non-Scottish?

Go apply in England and pay for it! You are only USING Scotland and there are many people getting pissed off about it
Reply 832
Original post by Anterior view
Go apply in England and pay for it! You are only USING Scotland and there are many people getting pissed off about it

Yeah... Whatever... For me it's not all about tuition fees. Costs of living in Scotland are cheaper than in England. Plus, the Scottish unis are very good.
:smile:they are good subjects:smile:
How did you do in the january exams?

Pretty decent - got 80/100 UMS in Bio1 (A), and 94/100 UMS in Chm1 (A) - Don't do any of the Maths or German units until summer.

How did you do?
lol - I've got a list of 16 in my 1 mile radius :colondollar:

The joys of the countryside :rolleyes:
Reply 835

Ah wow, that's awesome. I was too late, so didn't even get a chance to look at the application form as it was already over subscribed. :erm:
Haha yeah it can be a bit busy but I do still have some frees thankfully!
Didn't do exams in English Lit and German, not till the summer.
Are you doing A2 now?
I did Core 1- 98, Stats-95
Bio-A and Chem-A

Hehe that's good, I don't know what I would do without my free classes :eek:
Oh ok and yeah doing my A2 this year, I just want a B now Maths is becoming so hard!
Wow you did good! See this is why I have second thoughts on applying :redface:
*sigh* just got a message from school careers saying that my Trust isn't going to let people who've applied for work experience over the Summer know whether they've been accepeted/rejected until some time after Easter.

Given the lengths of waiting lists, that doesn't leave those who're rejected a reasonable amount of time to try and find a new placement. They've not even given notice that they've received people's applications, even when school have asked :frown:
Original post by Stegosaurus
*sigh* just got a message from school careers saying that my Trust isn't going to let people who've applied for work experience over the Summer know whether they've been accepeted/rejected until some time after Easter.

Given the lengths of waiting lists, that doesn't leave those who're rejected a reasonable amount of time to try and find a new placement. They've not even given notice that they've received people's applications, even when school have asked :frown:

Does it have to be done via the school? I organised some by just emailing a doctor.
Does it have to be done via the school? I organised some by just emailing a doctor.

Unfortunately, yes. The Trust have a 'streamlined' WE application system which is handled by an outside organisation which only deals with schools, not individuals. The Trust put forward how many places they have for WE and then this is divvied up between the local schools by the organisation, with the applications being handled by them. We've got something like 8 WE places for the school and 20-odd medics.

I had an offer from an ENT Consultant to come to his outpatient clinics, but it's since had to go through a similar process and there's nothing he can do :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending