The Student Room Group

Most interesting, fascinating element of the periodic table?

I need to make a 1min stop animation for my ICT project on one element. At first I chose Uranium, but I don't want to do that anymore.

What do you think is the most interesting element of the periodic table?
Reply 1
helium cause it does cool stuff to your voice :awesome: you could include a little video of its effects!
Reply 2
None of them are particularly interesting, I won't lie...

Carbon is pretty amazing though.
Helium.
Thorium. Do it. I did a 1500 word essay on its possible uses in nuclear power. It's awesome.
Reply 5
I quite like mercury :erm: But I still wouldn't go anywhere near it :tongue:
Radium perhaps? Marie Curie discovered its properties the hard way.
Reply 7
Carbon.

Basis of Organic Chemistry :awesome:
Reply 8
Carbon!
You can do organic chemistry, life, how it's made in a star, diamond, graphite, the fullerenes ect

Uranium is just as interesting if not more so. Nuclear reactors, Nuclear weapons, it being created in supernovas, it's decay pattern.

Silicon for it's use in electronics as it's a semi-conductor.

I'd enjoy having a project like that OP, have fun
Mercury
Reply 10
Hydrogen

Makes up 90% of the universe. We wouldn't be here without it, stars wouldn't exist etc.

Such a simple element but bloody useful.
Reply 11
Original post by mrengineer

I'd enjoy having a project like that OP, have fun

We had to do a treasure hunt, which consisted of 3 levels, a puzzle, an animation and a movie, and everyone did pirates/soldiers etc and I did mine on Chemistry. I did the puzzle on Carbon, animation on Oxygen and now I need to make the movie. I called the hunt ''Element Quest'' and the story behind is that a young chemist wants to get a Chemistry Snobel Prize (I couldn't do Nobel due to copyrights) and in order to get it, he needs to complete my ''Element Quest!''
lead

:drool:
Reply 13
Original post by BPat
Hydrogen

Makes up 90% of the universe. We wouldn't be here without it, stars wouldn't exist etc.

Such a simple element but bloody useful.

Interesting, I googled it and it is very fascinating, indeed!
I mean I knew what Hydrogen does before, but more details
Reply 14
Original post by CJRyan
Carbon.

Basis of Organic Chemistry :awesome:

I did my puzzle on Carbon :wink:
Helium is the least interesting, it's basically inert, so not much you can do with it, besides getting a high-pitched voice.

Fluorine is the most fun, has the highest electro negativity, and very reactive to the point where you can get some weird combinations as they just latch on to each electron.
Reply 16
Try
Helium - super fluid at close temperatures to 1-2 kelvin
Mercury - Pretty cool liquid metal
Hydrogen - Stars and forms any other element, simplest element and our universe is rich in it.
Carbon - Diamond, graphite, carbon based organisms...oragnic chemistry.
Well these are my favourite.
Carbon

I used to think it was boring until IB Biology and my degree. Seriously, carbon is such an amazing element - it defines all life.

Quick Reply

Latest