The Student Room Group

This happening in any other sxith forms

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CJRyan
Core 2 - is being really rushed, and so is Mechanics, but to a lesser extent
History Unit 1 - Still have a week of learning, then have to revise a whole year of work o.o
History Unit 2 - Finished and doing essay practice, but she never really taught us, it was more we write notes on the chapter then she would go though it in lesson
Biology - Probably going to be a bit of a squeeze
Chemistry - One teacher we have plenty of time to finish the course and with the other teacher we keep missing his lessons for school stuff so we are a bit behind :/

Have you done Unit 1's in January?
Reply 21
Maths dep. always seems well organised/on-time at my college, never had any problems there. Biology and Chemistry tend to really end up cramming things in (which bites back in the exam). The syllabus is ridiculous though, considering they omit huge areas of it in the exams anyway.
Reply 22
Original post by canthardlywait
Precisley! I finish college at 3.45, only for teachers to give us HW which takes 1.5-2 hours(preventing me from actually being able to revise the stuff i need to.Not to mention the whisper of an extra period suggested sometimes! And then saturday classes WTF?)

Saturday classes are nothing. I will have a couple of classes during EASTER! I absolutely know what you mean about homework. It will take you 2 hours not even per subject, but per TEACHER. >.<
It's ridculous how when you complain about a teacher to the head, the head will simply defend everything the teacher does and ahve an asnwer for everything. If we say "she just uses powerpoints and goes through them really quickly", the answer is "improve your note taking".
The unit 2's of subjects are being massivley rushed. Teachers are basically going trhough powerpoints and giving us homework for something we don't even correctly understand. I think we'd learn more just self teaching at this rate.

At least the teachers are going through your Subjects - mine took like one and a half terms on the first unit, two days on the second, then gave up teaching and left us to our own devices for the third and fourth :rolleyes: :tongue: lol.
I went to a School Sixth Form, which is apparently different to a College-based Sixth Form - in general though I do think it's normal.
Just try your best and work hard, make sure you have all the Work you need then ask teachers for help if they're not teaching you, as that's the least they could do :tongue:
The worst part is when you read you specification/syllabus and see that your teachers just miss parts out. :frown:
Pretty much done core 4 now, 2 months revision.

Most of physics done too.
Original post by OmnipotentOmelette
The worst part is when you read you specification/syllabus and see that your teachers just miss parts out. :frown:

I know, its like pick and choose with some teachers!
Reply 28
Have you done Unit 1's in January?

Yeah for Chemistry, Biology and Maths, but for History I didn't have any January exams. For all my subjects I have two teachers :smile:
Original post by ~*Horse_Mad*~
At least the teachers are going through your Subjects - mine took like one and a half terms on the first unit, two days on the second, then gave up teaching and left us to our own devices for the third and fourth :rolleyes: :tongue: lol.
I went to a School Sixth Form, which is apparently different to a College-based Sixth Form - in general though I do think it's normal.
Just try your best and work hard, make sure you have all the Work you need then ask teachers for help if they're not teaching you, as that's the least they could do :tongue:

I go to a school-sixth form. They constantly complain how we should grow up if we want treating like adults. Yet maybe they should teach u slike adults, not giving us lessons as if they've got a hangover.
The unit 2's of subjects are being massivley rushed. Teachers are basically going trhough powerpoints and giving us homework for something we don't even correctly understand. I think we'd learn more just self teaching at this rate.

C2 is being rushed so badly. Went through one chapter in about 2 lessons, and still don't get it :confused:
Economics we are done, Geography still a bit to do, but think we should be okay and biology one topic will be rushed I think, but the other topic will (hopefully) be fine :rolleyes:
Reply 31
I've finished the syllabus for both Maths and Psychology, almost finished for geography and a RIDICULOUS amount left in Biology.... =/
Original post by yaymeg
I've finished the syllabus for both Maths and Psychology, almost finished for geography and a RIDICULOUS amount left in Biology.... =/

Biology teaching seems to be ridiculous nearly everywhere.
I go to a school-sixth form. They constantly complain how we should grow up if we want treating like adults. Yet maybe they should teach u slike adults, not giving us lessons as if they've got a hangover.

Ohh never mind having a hangover, try having teachers with 'issues' - honestly, the things I had to put up with in school are laughable looking back on it now, but at the time they were sooo damaging to my schooling :tongue:
I still came out of it with 4 A-Levels Grades D and above by my own merit - I just think hard work and perseverance are key, Good Luck!! :biggrin:
When i was at 6th form, some units were a bit rushed i have to admit.
Reply 35
It happened in AS and its happening again. How are we supposed to learn this much content/ why did we waste whole lessons earlier in the year watching irrelevant videos and doing practise questions about stuff ON THE OLD SYLLABUS?!!! >:frown:

In Maths we've finished the syllabus, the same in Chemistry and German.

Biology on the other hand is a different story altogether - we've still got about 5 weeks worth of content left to cover, with only 3 or so school weeks until our study leave begins -.-

EDIT: The same happened for Biology when we sat Unit 1 Biology in January - had to go through one whole topic over the Christmas holidays -.-
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Lucygator
It happened in AS and its happening again. How are we supposed to learn this much content/ why did we waste whole lessons earlier in the year watching irrelevant videos and doing practise questions about stuff ON THE OLD SYLLABUS?!!! >:frown:

Exactly. They were stupid lessons where were told to make powerpoints and present them to the class, when in reality all that was needed was some notes being made, which would take half a lesson.
Chemistry is on target, but that's because we have a timetable of what we're going to learn/what practicals are going to be done each week
Psychology we've basically finished
Maths... I kinda sit in class and just teach myself because i've done C1/2 but my classmates all seem to be worried about whether they'll finish on time
EnglishLit is nowhere near finishing and i have mocks next week.. on poems that we haven't even finished reading :|
Biology seems to be nowhere near finishing :|
Original post by thegodofgod
In Maths we've finished the syllabus, the same in Chemistry and German.

Biology on the other hand is a different story altogether - we've still got about 5 weeks worth of content left to cover, with only 3 or so school weeks until our study leave begins -.-

We've been denied study leave.And forced to come in on certain dates over easter holidays, for 6 hours of more **** teaching.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest