The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by laughylolly
Yay! It's nice to know there's another girl here who wants to do Maths at uni. I've heard things about the male/female ratio for subjects like Maths/Physics/etc. but I'm sure it's not as bad as I think it is.

really, i didn't think the ratio was that bad tbh. but hey nice to meet you.
Original post by chibi_oc
really, i didn't think the ratio was that bad tbh. but hey nice to meet you.

I heard in some places it's like 70/30 but I could be totally wrong. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

By the way your GCSE's are amazing, how come your not thinking of applying to any of the 'bigger' maths uni's like Warwick?
Reply 122
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
Apologies, there was no gender symbol by your name. But the Cambridge summer school sounds good, i'm guessing it's way too late to apply?

I'm not to sure about applying because our school was given three places for the summer school. So anyone who was interested in applying for oxbridge was told. So I'm going for physics since there was no maths option. So I don't know anything about applications. Maybe if you ask your school?
Original post by chibi_oc
I'm not to sure about applying because our school was given three places for the summer school. So anyone who was interested in applying for oxbridge was told. So I'm going for physics since there was no maths option. So I don't know anything about applications. Maybe if you ask your school?

Ok thanks, im not interested in oxbridge anyway but that's mainly because i have no chance at an offer. It would just be good to add to my personal statement.
Reply 124
I heard in some places it's like 70/30 but I could be totally wrong. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

By the way your GCSE's are amazing, how come your not thinking of applying to any of the 'bigger' maths uni's like Warwick?

70/30, XD dear god lol, liking those odds oj.

Thanks, your results are brilliant XD and you have so much stuff prepared!! action-packed summers, loving this.

Cuz I have doubts about whether I'm good enough for those places at times, and then other times I don't XD I have fears of mucking up interviews and all that other stuff. But I've still got a couple of months to boost the ol' self-esteem.

Anyone else feel like that?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 125
Ok thanks, im not interested in oxbridge anyway but that's mainly because i have no chance at an offer. It would just be good to add to my personal statement.

Lol, hence why I'm going, for the experience of cambridge and so I can write it down on my p.statement.
Yay! It's nice to know there's another girl here who wants to do Maths at uni. I've heard things about the male/female ratio for subjects like Maths/Physics/etc. but I'm sure it's not as bad as I think it is.

It could be worse, you could be doing computer science or engineering :tongue:
Reply 127
Sorry to hijack the thread :tongue:. Did not see the point iof starting a new one :biggrin::smile:

For those in the know,do you need an innate mathematical ability to be able to do

university level maths,or is it something that can be learn't through 'skull sweat' ?
Original post by any_name
Sorry to hijack the thread :tongue:. Did not see the point iof starting a new one :biggrin::smile:

For those in the know,do you need an innate mathematical ability to be able to do

university level maths,or is it something that can be learn't through 'skull sweat' ?

Most (if not all) people here are doing their a-levels, so we wouldn't know !
Original post by dnumberwang
It could be worse, you could be doing computer science or engineering :tongue:

That is very true. But I love Maths so the number of girls/guys doing the course doesn't really matter does it?

I think most people who love maths do have a natural ability for it. I was reading this book, it was an introduction to Mathematics, and it was talking about why a lot of people really dislike maths. It said because a lot of people don't have the natural ability to linking technique A and B together to solve a problem and find it hard to learn more upon what they already know in Maths. As they can't connect A to B they begin to dislike the subject because they simply can't keep up with it at GCSE/A level... onwards. So yes, I think the majority of people who do go on to study Maths at university are people who love the subject and therefore are likely to have a natural ability in it to a certain extent.
Reply 131
I think most people who love maths do have a natural ability for it. I was reading this book, it was an introduction to Mathematics, and it was talking about why a lot of people really dislike maths. It said because a lot of people don't have the natural ability to linking technique A and B together to solve a problem and find it hard to learn more upon what they already know in Maths. As they can't connect A to B they begin to dislike the subject because they simply can't keep up with it at GCSE/A level... onwards. So yes, I think the majority of people who do go on to study Maths at university are people who love the subject and therefore are likely to have a natural ability in it to a certain extent.

Thank you for the reply and detailed explanation.
Are you thinking of applying for Maths with Economics?

Of Course. :smile:
Thank you for the reply and detailed explanation.

No problem. There's probably other views to it but as far as I know that is the case.

Original post by Reminisce
Of Course. :smile:

I was wondering because LSE don't run a pure maths course anymore =(
I was wondering because LSE don't run a pure maths course anymore =(

It's 75% mathematics so it would not be a problem adapting my PS slightly towards economics. LSE's a brilliant uni so this small tweak would be worth it.
It's 75% mathematics so it would not be a problem adapting my PS slightly towards economics. LSE's a brilliant uni so this small tweak would be worth it.

A while ago I was asking around whether it be okay to apply for Maths with Economics and Maths. What I got back was that if you put anything else but maths in your PS for somewhere like Oxford that they will see it as you haven't made your mind up and aren't committed 100% to maths (unless you blend the Economics part in very very well). So I don't really want to run the risk of sacrifcing my application for say Oxford when the competition at LSE is just as high or higher and I might not even get a place there at the end of it all. But I guess if you REALLY wanted to go to LSE then of course go for it.

Hey, out of interest any idea whether it is really competitive like straight economics is at LSE?
I went to the open day and I heard about the admissions statistics. One word:
BRUTAL
Hey, out of interest any idea whether it is really competitive like straight economics is at LSE?

6.8% of applicants were sucessful year for Mathematics with Economics whereas only 3.8% got in for just Economics.

However at Oxford last year 18.5% of applicants were sucessful.
6.8% of applicants were sucessful year for Mathematics with Economics whereas only 3.8% got in for just Economics.

However at Oxford last year 18.5% of applicants were sucessful.

Woah, that's painfully low. At cambridge i know it was about 20% for 2010 entry. I have the 2012 prospectus because i was considering it at one point.

Latest