The Student Room Group

Did you fill in your census form?

Scroll to see replies

we did it online
Reply 41
I heard that if you declare on the form that you're a homosexual, they target your income benefits aswell if you're on them...
Reply 42
Yes, but I crossed out all the barcodes and wrote stuff outside the boxes so it would cost them more to process.
apparently there's a £1000 fine if it's not filled in and sent off.

and i think i saw on the news that they will be processing them and then at some point in April they'll be going round to all the houses they didn't receive one from.
Original post by GwrxVurfer
Ok, can I install 24/7 cameras in every room in your house, have unrestricted access to your finances, emails, and every website you ever visited?

Obviously I will put in place "safeguards" to ensure the information is not abused. And you are doing nothing wrong, so have nothing to fear. So really, if you refuse, you're a "paranoid idiot" aren't you?

I forgot that the census did that. Here I was thinking that it was a few questions, none of which were really personal; silly me.

Logic fail.
Reply 45
Original post by mahaneap
Yes, but I crossed out all the barcodes and wrote stuff outside the boxes so it would cost them more to process.

*headdesk
Funny attempt by you to try and mislead other posters. Not so good attempt at trying to be subtle about it.

I was challenging the principle. You hold the principle that no one should object giving out personal information. You don't seem to recognize that, even if you have nothing to hide, you are still entitled to privacy. And with this hypothetical situation, I was trying to demonstrate this point.

Humor me. Tell us all why would you object to having 24/7 cameras in all rooms of your house if you have done nothing wrong?

I actually wouldn't mind. I think you'd be quite bored and wouldn't really get that big an audience though. Obviously the toilet should be exempt, otherwise that'd be depraved.

If you live in the UK then you have no right to challenge the principle behind the census. I think every nation carries one out, so good luck in escaping it.
Reply 47
I didn't do mine, I don't want the government getting the information on me that Tesco, Facebook, the internet and anyone who can put in the effort for 5 minutes can get!

Note the sarcasm.
Ok, and what would your response be to someone who pointed out that the only possible reason you would want the toilet exempt is because you are doing something illegal in there?

Aren't we meant to live in a free society, where everyone has the freedom to express an opinion, to challenge ideologies, to make up their own mind whether they agree or disagree with their rulers?

So I'd somehow be committing a crime in the toilet, even though all other cameras would be able to pick up if I had picked something up that was illegal. It's not as if I would take my phone to the toilet to make phone calls (because you'd have records of that).

You do live in a free society, to an extent. Going by your logic you should be allowed to rob, kill and rape in order to "express an opinion". Rules are in place for a reason, namely to improve the standard of living.
Reply 49
Do you think that if you have done nothing wrong, then you have nothing to fear?

Pretty much.
Reply 50
Let's hope that your definition of "wrong" is always the same as the Government's definition then! :biggrin:

For me, privacy comes first. I have nothing to hide, therefore it is wrong of the authorities to request that I divulge information.

Okay. Well I have nothing to hide. And I don't care if some random person in a census office knows about my gender/job/religion etc.
Yes, I filled it in. Fair to say I'm the only Gay Gaelic Speaking Gypsy in this village.
Reply 52
Original post by harvie_316
why should they keep my private info up to date. Its called private for a reason, were slowly losing all our freedoms.

They use your private information, eg your religion, to tailor policies to the majority. That's why the humanists are so against people putting Jedi. Essentially, if you don't fill out the census they'll do nothing to help you.
Reply 53
Neither do I. Which is why I won't divulge information on the threat of "if you have nothing to hide....".

Bottom line - If I have nothing to hide, then there is no mandate for anyone else to demand personal information.

Do you understand why I hold this position?

Yes, but how do they know that you have nothing to hide? You could be lying...therefore they check. Big deal.
Reply 54
I had to round up all my poor english speaking flatmates in a sort of bizarre tea / census filling out party xD
Why not do it? It gives the government info so they can properly fund all your local ammenities, so you're just depriving yourself really.

Plus you live in this country, and it is illegal not to
Reply 55
Well my dad filled it in! And I was proud to be person 3!! Ha ha! It's interesting and a good idea, I have done family tree searching before and its so important to have information recorded for future generations
Yes - don't you get fined if you don't complete it?
Because I have an unalienable right to privacy. This overrides government laws.

So what do you object to in the census. I assume people know your name, your address, your date of birth, your job, your faith, and your health generally?
yes...and it was a bit odd, because i am not british, irish or european. oh well!
Charlie, stop trying to wiggle your way out of this by talking about technicalities. We're talking about why you would want the toilet to be exempt.

I've given you two opportunities to answer that question. I am now asking you a third time, and will be completely clear so there can be no misunderstanding: WHY would you want the toilet to be exempt?

No. You are confused between expressing an opinion, and actually doing something. In a free society, everyone has the right to express an opinion that raping and killing is OK. They don't have the right to go ahead and actually do it. I assume you agree, and you simply misunderstood what I was saying. Glad we could clear this up.

Why would I want the toilet to be exempt? Probably because that is a private act (which is what you wanted me to say). A private act that no-one else should see, or know about.

You can express an opinion either through speech or action. If I were to express my disdain for banks I might speak about it, or I might act - actions speak louder than words, after all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending