The Student Room Group

Best college for intensive one year A level course

Hi all,

I just needed advice on which college to go for a one year intensive A level course, I already got accepted by oxford college, but the fee's are really bothering, its 17.023£ for a full year excluding the accommodations ...etc

But I need to know study wise, is oxford college a good place to study? especially for a one year A level course? if they do help you to get the best out of you?

And for other colleges which one to pick? I am not interested in getting into college year like grade 12 or whatsoever, I am interested in getting into a COURSE a full year course of intensive one year A level, and I need advice on study wise about oxford college and other ones. I tend to start going there from september, and I really want to get in university by september, people might think that I just want to get to university fast...etc but the answer is not that, I already lost a year and I don't want to loose another one, that's why I want to work for the year I lost
Reply 1
help pls
Reply 2
To be honest, I'd self-teach if I were you or do 'distance learning' with a college which facilitates this.

Much cheaper as all you need to spend money on are a few textbooks.

but can I ask what A-levels you are looking to do?
MPW possibly?
Reply 4
Original post by W.H.T
To be honest, I'd self-teach if I were you or do 'distance learning' with a college which facilitates this.

Much cheaper as all you need to spend money on are a few textbooks.

but can I ask what A-levels you are looking to do?

French English and maybe Sociology.
And no thanks, distance learning I will never do that, I have to be in a college to get good marks for my university

and what is MPW
Reply 5
Original post by d.luffy
help pls

Albemarle college. My older brother went there last year, and did 1 year intensive.
Reply 6
Lansdowne College. It's like MPW, up in London. Both are expensive though.
Reply 7
But how much??
does this mean I have to pay the same price?

What about study wise is oxford tutorial college good?
Reply 8
Original post by d.luffy
French English and maybe Sociology.
And no thanks, distance learning I will never do that, I have to be in a college to get good marks for my university

and what is MPW

Yeah you can't really self-teach those subjects - maybe sociology though, but as its an essay subject (I think) you would probably want a teacher to check if you're applying the exam technique correctly.

By the way, theres this place called Westminster kingsway college which do sociology and English (Lit and Lang) intensively for one year. Heres their website: http://www.westking.ac.uk/14-to-19/a-levels/?Section=A02&SectionType=Main&Filter=FSAvble_1419
Reply 9
Original post by W.H.T
Yeah you can't really self-teach those subjects - maybe sociology though, but as its an essay subject (I think) you would probably want a teacher to check if you're applying the exam technique correctly.

By the way, theres this place called Westminster kingsway college which do sociology and English (Lit and Lang) intensively for one year. Heres their website: http://www.westking.ac.uk/14-to-19/a-levels/?Section=A02&SectionType=Main&Filter=FSAvble_1419

The thing is, I want to know study wise, which one is more qualified to give intensive courses, I don't want to apply in a place where I fail, if Oxford tutorial college is good study wise and I know its expensive then I rather go for it, but I need idea's first.
Original post by domino0806
MPW possibly?

Seconding MPW. I've never heard anything but good reviews from people there. Costs though- website link: http://www.mpw.co.uk/index.asp?scW=1280
Reply 11
Original post by d.luffy
The thing is, I want to know study wise, which one is more qualified to give intensive courses, I don't want to apply in a place where I fail, if Oxford tutorial college is good study wise and I know its expensive then I rather go for it, but I need idea's first.

Bear in mind the college which I just gave you don't do French intensive A-level...so that may rule that out for you as an option.

I've never been there so I literally have no idea how good it is. But if you're that worried about the teaching quality and if money is not too much of a problem for you, then you could always hire a private tutor for a couple hours every week to supplement your studies. I don't know how much they charge but I imagine around £20 an hour, probably more.
Reply 12
Hmm, I got accepted in Oxford tutorial college to be honest, and I have low grades in my IGCSE, and they won't let me take Intensive course because it is too hard... I know I can do it, but if you could provide me with what college is good, since now Ihave an idea on MPW, I will email them, though I can't see the fees
Reply 13
Original post by W.H.T
Bear in mind the college which I just gave you don't do French intensive A-level...so that may rule that out for you as an option.

I've never been there so I literally have no idea how good it is. But if you're that worried about the teaching quality and if money is not too much of a problem for you, then you could always hire a private tutor for a couple hours every week to supplement your studies. I don't know how much they charge but I imagine around £20 an hour, probably more.

I have done this with my IGCSE which I am still doing and will be doing my exams in May, but this way I really got bored of my house and I get so depressed.

That is why for the A level I want to have a chance to get good marks and at the same time go to college, I am not in UK, I am in Egypt right now...

Yes it did, I am not going to choose it since there is no french, I rather go for a college which has all my needs.

PS: Seems nobody knows about oxford tutorial college:mad:
Reply 14
My friend went to Westminster Kingsway.

It's supposed to be alright, although some students are not the type you might want to socialize with.

Collingham is another place that does Intensive but you have to pay a lot of money as it's an independent college.

Quick Reply

Latest