The Student Room Group

HELP!! Advice on Insurance Uni's

Basically I need to decide on an insurance uni this week as I want to get finance sorted and finally have an idea where I might be heading next year. Hopefully my insurance will be irrelevent but you never know!
I have applied and been given offers for Psychology at Reading, UEA, Oxford Brookes and Dundee. Then I applied for Psychology with Clinical Psychology at Lincoln. I have decided to firm Reading which want ABB and I'm predicted A*,A,B/C. I cannot decide between Dundee which are BCC or Lincoln which is 300 points. I eventually want to do Clinical Psychology so I love the course at Lincoln, but I know it won't exactly help me any more than a normal Psychology course. Also the uni itself is quite new and isn't that highly rated at the moment. The main issue with Dundee is that it is 500 miles away, long terms and 4 years. But I love the course, uni itself, it is also cheaper and the reputation it has is good. I am a family-orientated person and I have a boyfriend of 3 years who is at Oxford which is on my mind as I know the distance with Dundee would be difficult.

I would like to hear any suggestions anyone has and general advice and opinions as I really cannot decide!! I will give rep and be eternally greatful for any helpful constructive advice!
Reply 1
It seems youre discounting oxford brookes and UEA then? In your situation id choose lincoln if the course is better for you, its closer to you home and family and boyfriend than dundee and its a years shorter course so you can get on with what you want to do just that little bit faster
Reply 2
Yeah that's where I think I'm leaning towards. I didn't like Brookes so much when I went to look the 2nd time and UEA's course isn't really for me. I just like the offer Dundee gave as I'm slightly worried about the summer and wonder whether it would be better to go to a better Uni (dundee) that is further. I just don't want to regret anything when I'm older! thanks for your help!
Original post by Francesca7

Basically I need to decide on an insurance uni this week as I want to get finance sorted and finally have an idea where I might be heading next year.

You have more than a month to still make decisions. Why are you rushing into something when you've still got time to think about it if you're unsure?
It makes no difference to your application whether you reply tomorrow or in May, so why rush it?
You do not need to be applying for finance yet. I've applied late every single year I've been a student (5 years) and it has come on time, you have nothing to worry about in terms of getting your money when we're only in April :smile:

Have you visited Dundee? This will help you get an idea of whether the distance really is for you (if you're coming from Oxford it would involve a change of trains at Birmingham or London then again at Edinburgh depending on the time of day) and also give you time to find out properly about the course structure as you would not just be studying psychology in the earlier years.
Similarly, have you visited Lincoln?

From a personal perspective, I'd say to you not to worry about your relationship. If its worth the distance, you'll get through it. My boyfriend lives in Aberdeen and I live in London.... its manageable and as a student you'll be really flexible in terms of travel, whereas we both work so only have weekends.
Reply 4
Original post by oxymoronic
You have more than a month to still make decisions. Why are you rushing into something when you've still got time to think about it if you're unsure?
It makes no difference to your application whether you reply tomorrow or in May, so why rush it?
You do not need to be applying for finance yet. I've applied late every single year I've been a student (5 years) and it has come on time, you have nothing to worry about in terms of getting your money when we're only in April :smile:

Have you visited Dundee? This will help you get an idea of whether the distance really is for you (if you're coming from Oxford it would involve a change of trains at Birmingham or London then again at Edinburgh depending on the time of day) and also give you time to find out properly about the course structure as you would not just be studying psychology in the earlier years.
Similarly, have you visited Lincoln?

From a personal perspective, I'd say to you not to worry about your relationship. If its worth the distance, you'll get through it. My boyfriend lives in Aberdeen and I live in London.... its manageable and as a student you'll be really flexible in terms of travel, whereas we both work so only have weekends.

Thank you for that piece of advice. I have visited All my choices and I loved them all apart from Oxford Brookes. I live in Suffolk so it is quite a way from Dundee. I just worry that Dundee is 4 years instead of 3 bearing in mind I want to do Clinical Psychology after.
I'm not worried about my relationship breaking up, I just worry that I wouldn't be as happy if we were too far from each other.
I guess I just want everything in place so all I have to worry about is actually getting the grades.

Thank you for that piece of advice. I have visited All my choices and I loved them all apart from Oxford Brookes. I live in Suffolk so it is quite a way from Dundee. I just worry that Dundee is 4 years instead of 3 bearing in mind I want to do Clinical Psychology after.
I'm not worried about my relationship breaking up, I just worry that I wouldn't be as happy if we were too far from each other.
I guess I just want everything in place so all I have to worry about is actually getting the grades.

The extra year of a degree isn't something you should be overly concerned about - I've been through the Scottish system and am now doing a PGCE so I'm in my 5th year of education whereas had I been in England I would have "only" done 4.... but its irrelevant in the grand scheme of life. Have you looked at the outside courses aspect of a Scottish degree? Generally, you chose 3 subjects to study in your first 2 years (which is why its 4 years) then you do not confirm anything about your final subjects until 2nd year. This means you can add subjects into your degree once you're at uni and you've got scope to change if you realise its not what you thought. Some people dislike this aspect whereas others really enjoy it, so the major aspect of your decision is going to be whether you want this in your degree or not. If you don't want it, then rule Dundee out.

In terms of the relationship, flights are amazing. As I said, I live 500+ miles from my boyfriend and we fly door to door London-Aberdeen in just over 4 hours. If you look at that in terms of train travel, even if you were in Lincoln and he were in Oxford, you'd be looking at a similar amount of time on the train. The actual distance becomes meaningless, its the travel connections which are the things to consider for long distance relationships.

My boyfriend is just finishing his final year at Lincoln doing Psychology :biggrin: He's found that the course was really good and there seems to be decent support from tutors etc, and he's already got his postgrad (teaching) sorted for September, so the course is clearly valued by other uni's.
Reply 7
Original post by Becca-Sarah
My boyfriend is just finishing his final year at Lincoln doing Psychology :biggrin: He's found that the course was really good and there seems to be decent support from tutors etc, and he's already got his postgrad (teaching) sorted for September, so the course is clearly valued by other uni's.

Thanks for that piece of advice, it is nice to hear personal stories about uni choices. Glad he enjoyed it. Sounds good with the support too :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by oxymoronic
The extra year of a degree isn't something you should be overly concerned about - I've been through the Scottish system and am now doing a PGCE so I'm in my 5th year of education whereas had I been in England I would have "only" done 4.... but its irrelevant in the grand scheme of life. Have you looked at the outside courses aspect of a Scottish degree? Generally, you chose 3 subjects to study in your first 2 years (which is why its 4 years) then you do not confirm anything about your final subjects until 2nd year. This means you can add subjects into your degree once you're at uni and you've got scope to change if you realise its not what you thought. Some people dislike this aspect whereas others really enjoy it, so the major aspect of your decision is going to be whether you want this in your degree or not. If you don't want it, then rule Dundee out.

In terms of the relationship, flights are amazing. As I said, I live 500+ miles from my boyfriend and we fly door to door London-Aberdeen in just over 4 hours. If you look at that in terms of train travel, even if you were in Lincoln and he were in Oxford, you'd be looking at a similar amount of time on the train. The actual distance becomes meaningless, its the travel connections which are the things to consider for long distance relationships.

That's good to know about flights etc. Hopefully I will decide by the end of the week :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending