The Student Room Group

Statistics S1 question driving me wild!

I have been struggling with this question for the past 20 minutes for some reason. I bet the answer is going to be so simple :frown: , can you help?

Question: Joe Sleepwell misses lectures by oversleeping. Probability that he oversleeps is 0.6. Find the probability that in e ten week term with two lectures a week, he misses more than half of them.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by wavey93
I have been struggling with this question for the past 20 minutes for some reason. I bet the answer is going to be so simple :frown: , can you help?

Question: Joe Sleepwell misses lectures by oversleeping. Probability that he oversleeps is 0.6. Find the probability that in e ten week term with two lectures a week, he misses more than half of them.

Any help would be appreciated.

There are 20 lectures in total. You just need to use the binomial distribution with n=20 and p=0.6 to find P(X>10).
Reply 2
Assuming that each lecture is independent (i.e. if two lectures were on the same day then they wouldn't be independent) then you can model the number of missed lectures by a binomial distribution. The value of p would be 0.6 and n would be 2*10=20, the total number of lectures.

You would need to get your required probability using cumulative binomial tables.
Reply 3
Reply 4
Original post by Phil_Waite
There are 20 lectures in total. You just need to use the binomial distribution with n=20 and p=0.6 to find P(X>10).

thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest