The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by twelve
Yep, 14 as well. I lost most of my marks for Responsibility, and Motivation and Interest. But I had full marks for extra-curricular activities :smile: I don't really know how I could have improved the responsibility section really ://

i had four last year, got a summer job an i got 6. No need to mention duration if you've not had it for long
Original post by Jin3011
Damn those GCSE's.
One never realises their importance at the time:frown:
Leeds seemed to think that I had no other interests; basically saying I had no life.
So I was wandering what sort of extra-curric stuff did you have in your p.s ?
Sorry for all the questions, but you're just more wiser than I am:redface:.
~Thanks.
Yea i really regret not paying attention to it cos i could have done so so so much better, a lot of them i just got a result and was like when did i do this? :sigh:

erm i had quite a few tho i didn't put them all on. I played basketball, football. Athletics on national level, saxophone (in an orchestra for a couple of weeks - not really my thing, lol). I'll PM you that part of my ps later (student council - i did that for the ps I'm not a geek :tongue:), won a couple of orienteering in high school, church technician. I'm not really, still didn't get in. Lol
Reply 341
Can anyone help me how to start a thread ?. Pleaseee
Original post by fruitfan
Can anyone help me how to start a thread ?. Pleaseee

Which forum do you want to start a new thread in?

If the Medicine forum, you just click on the Forum tab at the top, find the Medicine forum, then click on 'forum tools' and 'post new thread'.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay?f=195
It says "Forum Tools" there towards the top before 'Announcements'.

It's the same procedure all the time, only which forum you want to a post a thread in will change.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 343
Original post by platty1907
What was your score breakdown? Mine was 4/6 motivation & insight, 4/6 social awareness, responsibility 2/6 and non academic achievements 4/6.
I got 6/6 for reference and 9/16 on academics. They clearly don't like predicted grades, I can hardly get better predictions than 3A* and 1A

Motivation and Insight - 2/6
Repsonsibility - 2/6
Social Awareness - 4/6
Extra Curriculars - 6/6

Reference - 6/6
Academic - 13/16

Yeah I have a feeling they like achieved grades more than predicted - I think you get extra marks for academics as a reapplicant.

Original post by tiggix
Okay, so here's a question...
The University of Glamorgan and Cardiff university offer this 'widening access' scheme - if you do a bsc hons degree in medical sciences at Glamorgan uni, they select 'up to ten' students in the second year, who, if they achieve a 1st or a 2:1 at the end, and fulfil Cardiff admissions criteria, can be moved onto the Cardiff medical course, starting from the second year.
There are places for this Medical Sciences degree at Glamorgan on UCAS Extra... should I apply?! Or stick with the 'take a gap year and reapply' plan?

You could always take a gap year, reapply, and as your fifth option, put that course down? That way you've got another chance before you have to apply for grad entry.
Reply 344
Thankksss
Original post by twelve
Motivation and Insight - 2/6
Repsonsibility - 2/6
Social Awareness - 4/6
Extra Curriculars - 6/6

Reference - 6/6
Academic - 13/16

Yeah I have a feeling they like achieved grades more than predicted - I think you get extra marks for academics as a reapplicant.

You could always take a gap year, reapply, and as your fifth option, put that course down? That way you've got another chance before you have to apply for grad entry.

You get 2 more points just for having your A levels.
Reply 346
I realise I'm being really stupid here and I'm the only person who hasn't worked it out but who do I contact for feedback and what do I say? :/
Reply 347
Original post by Tinth
I realise I'm being really stupid here and I'm the only person who hasn't worked it out but who do I contact for feedback and what do I say? :/

I looked on the websites for each university and looked for anybody to contact like 'medical admissions team' 'admissions administrator' etc etc. I had no idea what to say really, but I basically just said I'd like some feedback and asked a few specific questions.
Am I allowed to keep a few lines of my old ps that I liked without Ucas reporting it as plagiarism?

Also: I've been scouring a lot of the uni websites and it seems to me that quite a few are changing their selection procedure for 2012 but also some don't even tell you their selection procedure!
Damn Cardiff haven't replied to a single email I've sent them in 6months :|
Original post by laurenl93
Am I allowed to keep a few lines of my old ps that I liked without Ucas reporting it as plagiarism?

Also: I've been scouring a lot of the uni websites and it seems to me that quite a few are changing their selection procedure for 2012 but also some don't even tell you their selection procedure!

its not plagiarism if you wrote it in the first place?
i plan on keeping mine pretty much the same, structure-wise anyway :tongue:

This is from the UCAS website, hope it helps :biggrin:
*Your personal statement will not be compared to your earlier applications, if you have applied in previous cycles or schemes.
*Don't be tempted to copy another person's application materials, or download your personal statement from a website. There could be serious consequences to using other people's work.

So, what I understand from here is that you are allowed to have similar lines with your PS but not with the PS of others. :biggrin:
Original post by atomos

Original post by dariadaphne
:biggrin:

Ah Kay thanks :smile:

On another note: gutted because I thought I'd gotten over my rejections but then my mate got an offer from my first choice who he didn't careabout anyway and now it's set me off on another crying fitt reminding me how heartbroken I've been trying to supress

Annoying because I just want to get over it and stop feeling like ****, like one day I'm all 'ooh let's order some more prospectuses and see where I wanna go' an then next it's like 'all my friends got offers and the two places I loved rejected me'

It's only seeing this thread that makes me feel better tbh, :/ :smile:
Reply 352

On another note: gutted because I thought I'd gotten over my rejections but then my mate got an offer from my first choice who he didn't careabout anyway and now it's set me off on another crying fitt reminding me how heartbroken I've been trying to supress

Annoying because I just want to get over it and stop feeling like ****, like one day I'm all 'ooh let's order some more prospectuses and see where I wanna go' an then next it's like 'all my friends got offers and the two places I loved rejected me'

I know, I'mexactly the same :frown: Wasn't a good day today for me either really :/ A guy on the bus was saying how he no longer has a choice about where he wants to go, so he'll have to be going to his fourth choice. This is for medicine as well, and I was sat thinking 'grrrrr, why can't you just be glad you have a place?!?!' but I held it in! :P And then he went on to say that he wasn't sure he was going to get the grades anyway.

I think that got to me more, knowing that actually, I can get the grades he needs as long as I get C's in all my summer exams :/

This thread definately helps though - every day there is somebody else who feels the same and who I can have a good rant with when I need to :smile: Noone else quite understands really :/ They do try, all my friends are lovely, but I don't think they can quite understand how four pre-interview rejections makes you feel :frown:
Reply 353
I totally feel the same way .
Reply 354
Original post by twelve
I looked on the websites for each university and looked for anybody to contact like 'medical admissions team' 'admissions administrator' etc etc. I had no idea what to say really, but I basically just said I'd like some feedback and asked a few specific questions.

People try to understand but I don't think they can considering how much of our lives we have already put into trying to stand out as an applicant and get the grades, at least we have each other, eh.
Ah Kay thanks :smile:

That's how I feel too :frown: One day, it's like: I can't wait to improve my application/I can't wait to read prospectuses/I can't wait .... etc and the other is like Why didn't I get there in the first place so now I would not be searching/applying/hoping again ? :frown: It's sad but we do have to get over it and try to make the best of it for the next year ... It will only strengthen us for when we become doctors and have more difficult problems to deal with :smile:
Reply 356
Original post by dariadaphne
That's how I feel too :frown: One day, it's like: I can't wait to improve my application/I can't wait to read prospectuses/I can't wait .... etc and the other is like Why didn't I get there in the first place so now I would not be searching/applying/hoping again ? :frown: It's sad but we do have to get over it and try to make the best of it for the next year ... It will only strengthen us for when we become doctors and have more difficult problems to deal with :smile:

Yeah, this is what I keep thinking :smile: Its all for the best!
Totally off topic, but does anyone have the email address for St Andrews med school. Just want to email them to check what I need to put in my letter to get feedback.

Thanks
Totally off topic, but does anyone have the email address for St Andrews med school. Just want to email them to check what I need to put in my letter to get feedback.

Thanks

Well, they have two, but this is the one I used to ask for my feedback letter and they answered to me :biggrin: [email protected] ... But they will send you an e-mail telling you that if you need more info, you should send them a letter by post and that they will explain everything to you in a letter, not an e-mail :frown: Hope it helps :biggrin:

Thanks

Btw, you don't need to put anything specific: just send a letter asking for feedback, with your UCAS ID and that's all :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending