The Student Room Group

Would it be possible for me to get an A* in maths

Okay. So last week I got my A2 Jan results and I did pretty well. In maths (so far) I'm averaging over 80% and in my C3 exam I got 89/100. Now I'm just asking this because I am a little unsure as to how the A* grade works, but if I were to get over 90 in C4 (I know not all that likely) to end up averaging 90 in C3 and C4 would I end up with an A*. (Assuming I Still average at over 80% overall)
That's how it worked for us, good luck :smile:
Reply 2
YES. I actually got the same mark as you in C3 (89%), and my School's Maths dept. are assuring me now I 'only' need 91% in C4 to get an A*.

Haha, because that'll happen. But yes, you only need to average 90% on C3 & C4 to get an A* in A level Maths.
Reply 3
Alright thanks. I've just heard rumors that you need 80+ in every exam (not just as an average) to get an A* (as well as 90 average in C3 and C4) to be honest though it didn't seem right at the time when the person said it although they were determined they were right so it did make me second guess myself is all.

So yeh 'only' 91 in C4 for an A* now, I mean obviously it's a long shot but its nice to now know that its theoretically in reach =P.
Hey what if you get 83%....what % do you need to get for C4?

Its suprising that the Statistics or Mechanics modules dont count to get the A* grade
Reply 5
Original post by Girl_Learning
Hey what if you get 83%....what % do you need to get for C4?

Its suprising that the Statistics or Mechanics modules dont count to get the A* grade

I'm surprised someone who does A-Level Maths cannot work out they'll need 97% in C4 to average 90% if they got 83% in C3. :colondollar:
Reply 6
Original post by Groat

Original post by Groat
I'm surprised someone who does A-Level Maths cannot work out they'll need 97% in C4 to average 90% if they got 83% in C3. :colondollar:

I lol'd :biggrin:
Reply 7
Be careful though of the grade boundary, if it is anything like what it was for the January session exams, then even a 68/75 will not be an A. One way to make sure you get all the marks down on the paper is to isolate difficult questions and do them again and again, and do the Solomon/difficult papers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending