The Student Room Group

I'm gay but hate the LGBT acronym

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tommyjw
Civil partnership. It is simply silly to expect a full blown religious ceremony to just up and change it's tradition and 'rules' if you will, i understand why people want it.. and even though it doesn't affect me i'd still like it, however i can understand why it's not allowed.

Employment is smaller than discrimination because of disability or gender, in fact the topic is so small that it hardly appears anywhere near as much in the news etc as the previous examples to the point where i who hread papers and websites and such very often cannot even remember an article about it.

Can't give blood?
Please do your research, there are plenty of scientific real facts and evidence for that.

Adoption thing is just wrong. Gay's can adopt.
https://www.newfamilysocial.co.uk/about-us/

yes gays can adopt, but they have to fill out more paperwork, and are quite regularly placed behind homosexual couples.

i cant be arsed to explain stuff to you because you'll never understand, but they can get around the whole passing on diseases issue to make it able for gay men to give blood but they refuse.

there's no point you going on like heterosexual people and homosexual people are treated completley equally because theyre not, simple as.
Reply 61
Original post by kellymichelle
yes gays can adopt, but they have to fill out more paperwork, and are quite regularly placed behind homosexual couples.

i cant be arsed to explain stuff to you because you'll never understand, but they can get around the whole passing on diseases issue to make it able for gay men to give blood but they refuse.

there's no point you going on like heterosexual people and homosexual people are treated completley equally because theyre not, simple as.

Prove they are put behind homosexual couples.
And i have no idea about paperwork, but who cares? there is obvuiously a reason for it.. the paper work isn't gonna be 'fill this out, for no reason, because your gay' there are obviously real reasons that we have no idea about because we aren't involved, and i don't think .more paperwork' exactly equates to not having the same rights.

Research shows that completely removing the current exclusion on blood donation from men who have sex with men would result in a fivefold increase in the risk of HIV-infected blood entering the blood supply. While changing deferral to one year from the last sexual contact would have a lesser effect, it would still increase this risk by 60%. 3
Like i said above.. that is evidence enough that, even if unfair, gays shouldnt be allowed to donate blood.

Homosexuals are treating more equal than other races, or people with a disabiliuty.
In fact the only place they are really treated unequal is in a general employment sense, which obviously is smaller than other discrimination factors, but it still there.

Each and every one of your points has been proven wrong. I am not trying to be mean, i am the first to shout out that everyone should be treated equally, you just seem to think gay people are treated SO unequally, when they are not.
Original post by Tommyjw
Research shows that completely removing the current exclusion on blood donation from men who have sex with men would result in a fivefold increase in the risk of HIV-infected blood entering the blood supply. While changing deferral to one year from the last sexual contact would have a lesser effect, it would still increase this risk by 60%.

Enough said.

EDIT: Just kinda trying to.. emphasise what you said lol :P

And you did perfectly. :smile: What people often don't seem to realise is it's not a case of 'one blood donation to one patient.' Blood donations are pooled so one infected unit can be devastating. Not to mention all of the other uses of the donated blood!

It's not worth it. There's too many people living with HIV as it is to risk infecting more.
Reply 63
if you were really gay you wouldnt have this closeminded opinion. i dont believe you're gay for even a second. gay people as a whole are alot more accepting of people especially those that fit into lgbtq. you would understand that just like being gay, being trans or bisexual is not a choice. you would be telling people that you cant help who you are attracted too, so why cant some people be attracted to both sexes?
do you think some people would spend thousands of pounds on sugery and go through all the bullying, and the comeing out, and all the isolation and rejection if they didnt truly believe they were born in the wrong body.
idiot.

Oh my gods, are you really serious?! Gay people can be as closed minded as anyone. Hell, they can be even worse to gays than straight people.

As for the topic, I personally dislike the initialisation, as it's not an acronym, because transvestites are not necessarily transgender, but get lumped under that term regardless. Otherwise, I couldn't give a hoot.

Good troll thread, though.
Reply 64
get off your high horse.
straight people all hang round in 'little groups' together so why cant gay people.
alot of homosexual people tend to have more in common.
and mainly its because they like to campaign about their rights and stuff.
most gay people aren't like that.
you cant possibly understand homosexuality unless you identify as it so dont try.

You are wrong. I am not straight and I hang about with straight people. It's not that straight people EXCLUDE LGBT's, I just don't think there are enough brave people to truly come out, therefore it seems that straight people just bundle together, but they don't. Being straight is not exactly an interest unless you love taking the piss out of non-straight people, which is just plain stupid.

I understand that you are a part of LGBT but why are you getting so defensive of every single post that doesn't agree with your opinion?
Reply 65
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
No minority group achieves anything by sitting down and shutting up. We have to stick together to be heard at all, unfortunately yes there are some people who associate with gay-only circles or whatever, but that doesn't mean we all do. And until I get the same rights as everybody else, I will continue to go to Pride, and I will continue to speak up to ignorant fools.

This :love:

I don't get straight people who pick on LGBT+ people for going to LGBT+ support groups or Pride marches. It's none of their damned business what other people do anyway, it's not like we hurt them by having equal rights or asking for them, and if there was such thing as a gay person who only associated with other gay people, a straight person wouldn't ever get to hear of it anyway, by definition.
Original post by Anonymous
I understand being straight, and I don't meet up with my pals for a chat about it on a weekly basis. There is very little reason why a gay would have more in common with another gay, unless they let the fact they are homosexual dictate their hobbies i.e. enjoying fashion. Like I said it's like LADs, all being immersed in football. Normal straight people meet up over stuff they enjoy rather than the fact their straight, and a lot of these clubs also have gay members too. If people met up at a fashion club and the majority of them were gay I could at least understand that.

WHAT?

I have gay friends. I have straight friends. I have bi friends. But I don't separate them. And only one of them I met because she's gay (and we have loads in common - we're not friends purely on this basis). I meet people for all sorts of reasons: I have friends from my lessons, friends from when I was a kid, friends from guiding... But when I go to uni I'll be joining the LGBT soc because I'd really love to find a girlfriend and it's nice to have one group of people who it's safe to talk about your crushes with...
Original post by Tommyjw
Prove they are put behind homosexual couples.
And i have no idea about paperwork, but who cares? there is obvuiously a reason for it.. the paper work isn't gonna be 'fill this out, for no reason, because your gay' there are obviously real reasons that we have no idea about because we aren't involved, and i don't think .more paperwork' exactly equates to not having the same rights.

Research shows that completely removing the current exclusion on blood donation from men who have sex with men would result in a fivefold increase in the risk of HIV-infected blood entering the blood supply. While changing deferral to one year from the last sexual contact would have a lesser effect, it would still increase this risk by 60%. 3
Like i said above.. that is evidence enough that, even if unfair, gays shouldnt be allowed to donate blood.

Homosexuals are treating more equal than other races, or people with a disabiliuty.
In fact the only place they are really treated unequal is in a general employment sense, which obviously is smaller than other discrimination factors, but it still there.

Each and every one of your points has been proven wrong. I am not trying to be mean, i am the first to shout out that everyone should be treated equally, you just seem to think gay people are treated SO unequally, when they are not.

you havent proved anything. you've just given your opinion on the situations or said things like its a statement when its not. youve proved naff all. if youre not gay then youve never been put into a situation where you've been discriminated against for being gay so its easy enough for you to say all of that :')
funny stuffff.
until you're gay and have been discriminated against,shut up.
marriage.
also studies have shown in the past that sometimes people are less likely to be employed because of their sexuality.
adoption.
gay men cant give blood.

Religious people can't help believing. They can't help what their holy book says. Therefore they can't help but abide by those principles. The state should give you equal access to its ceremonies, and does. But your right to get married, and your right to be married by the exact person in an exact venue should not trump the rights of another minority group who can't help their spiritual persuasion any more than you can help being gay.

I fail to see why an employer would know you're gay without directly asking, or unless you wore it like a badge (in which case a straight person acting in an equal manner would probably also not be hired). I don't doubt there have been a lot of instances of outings and subsequent firings, but you have the law in place to deal with that and if massive fines and financial loss isn't enough to deter a businessman from such behaviour you walking down the street once a year isn't going to do much to change the situation.

Last time I checked gays had the same adoption rights as straight people in this country. And other users have already shown you how wrong you are to challenge the fact that those who engage in homosexual conduct can't give blood.
Reply 69
Original post by Tommyjw
Ye because people who completely exclude one gender altogether are somehow less attention seeking than people who have an interest in both.... ?
Great logic right there.

Haaaagrid, yer pushin me ova the LINE! Classic
Original post by Anonymous
Religious people can't help believing. They can't help what their holy book says. Therefore they can't help but abide by those principles. The state should give you equal access to its ceremonies, and does. But your right to get married, and your right to be married by the exact person in an exact venue should not trump the rights of another minority group who can't help their spiritual persuasion any more than you can help being gay.

Then why are atheist heterosexual couples allowed to marry?
Reply 71
you havent proved anything. you've just given your opinion on the situations or said things like its a statement when its not. youve proved naff all. if youre not gay then youve never been put into a situation where you've been discriminated against for being gay so its easy enough for you to say all of that :')
funny stuffff.
until you're gay and have been discriminated against,shut up.

I proved gay people could adopt.
I proved a real reason to justify why gay people cannot give blood.
I proved gay people do not get discriminated at work anywhere near as much as you seem to think

What is your problem? You seem to think gay people get so much abuse, they don't not compared to my disabled or black friends, so maybe you should shut up?

Homosexual discrimination in employment is small, very small, that is a simple fact. You seem to be trying to exaggerate just how 'unequal' gay rights are.

Going back to the 'your not gay so can't comment' is so childish, the simple fact is is it isn';t a big deal anymore, you seem to be stuck in the mindset of someone 50 years ago.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm gay. I hate gay people like you. You can't want equality and superiority at the same time.

Where did he say he wanted equality? :s-smilie:

No they can not. How much do you actually know about bloodborne infections? And transmission via blood transfusion? It has been investigated, the BTS review their guidelines regularly.

(And I am gay, so you can't tell me to shut up. The difference is that I am almost certain I know more about this topic than you.)
Original post by Sashari
You are wrong. I am not straight and I hang about with straight people. It's not that straight people EXCLUDE LGBT's, I just don't think there are enough brave people to truly come out, therefore it seems that straight people just bundle together, but they don't. Being straight is not exactly an interest unless you love taking the piss out of non-straight people, which is just plain stupid.

I understand that you are a part of LGBT but why are you getting so defensive of every single post that doesn't agree with your opinion?

LOL. not all of my friends are gay you know.. of course i have straight friends.
because some of the things people say regarding homosexuality is just SO off the mark its funny, and its because of people like this that homophobia will always be around.
people going on about gay people are treated the same as straight people.
in alot of cases, yes they are, but in alot of cases, theyre also not.
do your ****ing research.
what about the people that have been murdered solely for their sexuality?
what about american gay couples who have been turned away from adopting children because of their sexuality.
what about people in uganda who are sentenced to the death penalty for being gay? or the woman who are raped to try n 'cure' them of their homosexuality.
the westboro baptist church???
open your eyes a bit.
its not just about the UK,and thats all anyone is talking about here. the UK. homophobia exists a hell of alot more in other places.
bla bla you can have a civil partnership you can adopt etc. yes, in ENGLAND. not everywhere. and thats why we have pride. and thats why gay people stand up for their rights.

now anyway, you can all feel free to carry on quoting me but id say dont bother cause im getting bored now and im not gonna read anymore, cheers.
Original post by Calumcalum
Where did he say he wanted equality? :s-smilie:

Fair point :p: but how many people do you know who enjoy being discriminated against?
Reply 76
Fair point :p: but how many people do you know who enjoy being discriminated against?

Subs/slaves/bottoms? :p:
Original post by Tommyjw
I proved gay people could adopt.
I proved a real reason to justify why gay people cannot give blood.
I proved gay people do not get discriminated at work anywhere near as much as you seem to think

What is your problem? You seem to think gay people get so much abuse, they don't not compared to my disabled or black friends, so maybe you should shut up?

Homosexual discrimination in employment is small, very small, that is a simple fact. You seem to be trying to exaggerate just how 'unequal' gay rights are.

Going back to the 'your not gay so can't comment' is so childish, the simple fact is is it isn';t a big deal anymore, you seem to be stuck in the mindset of someone 50 years ago.

read my last post. (Y)
nah its not a big deal ANYWHERE is it. open your ****ing eyes.turn on the news you closeminded ****.
people are getting murdered soley for their sexuality but nah its not a big deal ANYWHERE, your right how silly of me.
eurgh people like you :')

thanks for the amusement, bye.
Then why are atheist heterosexual couples allowed to marry?

Exactly this. Marriage is not only legal for religious people so why should religions get a say in MY life. How would it affect any religious people if I were to marry the woman I love.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
WHAT?

I have gay friends. I have straight friends. I have bi friends. But I don't separate them. And only one of them I met because she's gay (and we have loads in common - we're not friends purely on this basis). I meet people for all sorts of reasons: I have friends from my lessons, friends from when I was a kid, friends from guiding... But when I go to uni I'll be joining the LGBT soc because I'd really love to find a girlfriend and it's nice to have one group of people who it's safe to talk about your crushes with...

This makes sense from a lesbian standpoint because there are so few of you you are extremely unlikely to ever cross paths and fall in love in general society. The people I know in LGBT just infuriate me though. They never shut up about it. A lot of them are absolute fanatics... living in LGBT houses, frequenting every LGBT night, placing all their other non-LGBT friends in a separate 'I cant talk about every last facet of my life with you so you mean less to me' way. It is no different to the highly religious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending