The Student Room Group

I'm gay but hate the LGBT acronym

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
Fair point :p: but how many people do you know who enjoy being discriminated against?

It depends - I think words like 'equality' and 'discrimination' are often used without giving a proper account of what they mean. If equality and non-discrimination mean treating everybody exactly the same, or denying any differences between certain demographic groups (as they often do in popular rhetoric), I'm not sure that many people interested in truth would advocate them. If women are generally anatomically weaker, so be it. If men are generally lazier, fair enough. If white people are generally slower, we have to deal with it. What seems to me to be the genuine problem is not that we recognise differences between different groups of people (even differences which may be offensive - truth is more important than political correctness, imo), but when claims are made with no substantiating evidence, or when they are applied to the whole demographic (of which the claim may not be true anymore, even if it holds for the majority). That seems to me to be the problem with the OP - not that he recognises differences between gay and bisexual/transgender people or that he treats them differently, but that he calls them attention seeking with no evidence to suggest they are in general, let alone in every circumstance.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this. Some straight people live in all-straight houses, go out to straight bars every weekend and assume they can't talk to anyone non-straight about love, sex etc. What's the difference?

And why is it ok for me as a 'lesbian'? (FYI I identify as gay. I never use lesbian.)

Come back and answer all this when you have the balls to not do it under the anon function.

Not deliberately. They just happen to be in a massive majority, so the odds are extremely low. I wonder where these straight bars are? Last time I checked 'straight bars' were frequented by everyone and are thus just called 'bars'. I think you'll also find that straight people talk about love and sex freely between sexes, if they talk about it at all. They don't just go running to a group of people of their own sex on a weekly basis for a catch up. And to be fair, I have already expressed my sincere dislike of men who take pride in their straightness and live their life by it.

It is ok for you as a lesbian because you account for less than half a percent of the entirety of society. Everyone knows plenty of gay men and they bump into each other regular, so they can form relationships with relative ease. Well, at least all my gay friends do.
Original post by Anonymous
You have to show a genuine faith to get married within a church. You must attend a service for a few weeks prior, and pretend you believe at least a bit. Now, of course there are some churches who use it as a money making scheme who aren't that fussed about whether the person believes, but the bible isn't even slightly explicit about not officiating marriages between two non-believers is it? A strand that runs through every single ceremony, and teaching on religious marriage, is that it is between a man and a woman however. The bible does not confer the rights to marry same sex couples on its ministers, and to dupe homosexuals into believing they have God's blessing when you simply don't know or suspect it could even be wrong is a sin. Firstly, it is not loving your neighbour to endorse and say God endorses something that could be a sin. Secondly it is not in the job description.

That doesn't answer my question though. Atheists can't get married in churches, fair enough, if I was a heterosexual Christian I probably wouldn't want my wedding to be held in a mosque. It doesn't mean atheists can't get married though - that's what registry offices are for.
Original post by Tommyjw
Have you?
Don't think so.
Your arguements are full of idiotic fluff, go do some research and try again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_by_country_or_territory

oooh look at all of those big red crosses, thats funny, i thought we were equal.

all your doing is trying to change your opinions into facts.
Reply 104
Original post by kellymichelle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_by_country_or_territory

oooh look at all of those big red crosses, thats funny, i thought we were equal.

all your doing is trying to change your opinions into facts.

Umm.. What?

You really are an ignorant retard.
You claim to be all for equality, and know little about the facts such as the giving blood.
We were obviously disucssing the United kingdom you retard. Hence the laws etc we discussed, that is obvious, if you didnt realise that you are as stupid as i thought. If we were dicussing the whole world it would essentially hbe impossible as we would have to discuss individualy countries and law stec Not in one place AT ALL did i imply gays were equal across the world you twit.
Original post by Tommyjw
Umm.. What?

You really are an ignorant retard.
You claim to be all for equality, and know little about the facts such as the giving blood.
We were obviously disucssing the United kingdom you retard. Hence the laws etc we discussed. Not in one place AT ALL did i imply gays were equal across the world you twit.

and yet you brought up other issues from around the world? :/
so you're allowed to include the rest of the world but i'm not.. hmm, interesting.
Not deliberately. They just happen to be in a massive majority, so the odds are extremely low. I wonder where these straight bars are? Last time I checked 'straight bars' were frequented by everyone and are thus just called 'bars'. I think you'll also find that straight people talk about love and sex freely between sexes, if they talk about it at all. They don't just go running to a group of people of their own sex on a weekly basis for a catch up. And to be fair, I have already expressed my sincere dislike of men who take pride in their straightness and live their life by it.

It is ok for you as a lesbian because you account for less than half a percent of the entirety of society. Everyone knows plenty of gay men and they bump into each other regular, so they can form relationships with relative ease. Well, at least all my gay friends do.

Ok. I politely asked you not to use 'lesbian' to identify me. What part of that did you not understand?

There is no reason for you to be anonymous. If I can show my face around school knowing that everyone knows I'm gay and worrying whether today's the day I get crap for it... If I can deal with answering ridiculously personal questions about my sex life and fantasies from people I hardly know who think it's my job to inform them of everything... If I can hold hands with my best friend in town while I have insults shouted at me...

If I can do all that everyday, you can post on the internet using your username.
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
That doesn't answer my question though. Atheists can't get married in churches, fair enough, if I was a heterosexual Christian I probably wouldn't want my wedding to be held in a mosque. It doesn't mean atheists can't get married though - that's what registry offices are for.

I have no problem with non-believers, or same sex couples, using the secular meaning of marriage to describe themselves. I couldn't care less if couples didn't even have a ceremony at all and just told people they were married. If you want to freely play and alter the meaning of words that's no skin off my nose. I am just opposed to the repeated attempts to force religious institutions to officiate marriages they don't want to, just to prove a point.
Reply 108
and yet you brought up other issues from around the world? :/
so you're allowed to include the rest of the world but i'm not.. hmm, interesting.

my god you are so stupid.
How very supercilious of you.
Reply 110
Ok. I politely asked you not to use 'lesbian' to identify me. What part of that did you not understand?

Why do you identify as "gay", to the point of disliking "lesbian"?
Original post by Tommyjw

or you've just realised all of your arguments are invalid and now have nothing left to say. BOOM.
Reply 112
or you've just realised all of your arguments are invalid and now have nothing left to say. BOOM.

Yep, my arguement for the reason gay men cant give blood is invalid.
My reasoning that gays can adopt perfectly fine (and proof of that) are invalid.

Wasn't aware your so amazingly intelligent you can ignore pure facts.
I have no problem with non-believers, or same sex couples, using the secular meaning of marriage to describe themselves. I couldn't care less if couples didn't even have a ceremony at all and just told people they were married. If you want to freely play and alter the meaning of words that's no skin off my nose. I am just opposed to the repeated attempts to force religious institutions to officiate marriages they don't want to, just to prove a point.

So am I. My problem is with atheist heterosexual couples being able to use marriage in a secular sense, but not homosexual couples of any religious or non-religious denomination.
Reply 114
I know what is being discussed has veered wildly from my OP, but I am shocked at how well I've trolled
Original post by Hylean
Why do you identify as "gay", to the point of disliking "lesbian"?

I have my reasons. I shouldn't need to justify them. I should be able to correct people and them just accept that.

This is another form of discrimination based both on sexuality and gender.
Original post by Tommyjw
Yep, my arguement for the reason gay men cant give blood is invalid.
My reasoning that gays can adopt perfectly fine (and proof of that) are invalid.

Wasn't aware your so amazingly intelligent you can ignore pure facts.

every other thing youve said except for the giving blood thing is clearly bull****.
and deep down you know it.
you havent proved that gay people can adopt 'purely fine'.
and what about the rest of the world though hmmm
because it was never in any part of the discussion that we were 'only talking about the UK'. you added that in when you realised that you were acting like the UK was like the rest of the world.
and then you contradicted yourself and included examples of problems that arent in the UK.
are you gonna shutup now or what cause im tired :')

There is no reason for you to be anonymous. If I can show my face around school knowing that everyone knows I'm gay and worrying whether today's the day I get crap for it... If I can deal with answering ridiculously personal questions about my sex life and fantasies from people I hardly know who think it's my job to inform them of everything... If I can hold hands with my best friend in town while I have insults shouted at me...

If I can do all that everyday, you can post on the internet using your username.

I like the option to freely discuss my viewpoints on this relationship issue without fear of reprisal for it. Now, if this was a forum that was tolerant of all viewpoints and beliefs of course I would unmask. But like you feeling you can't freely discuss your love interests with straight people, I cannot discuss my feelings towards this relationship issue amongst these ridiculously excessive liberals.

Sorry for using the term lesbian, that is just the easiest way of differentiating between sexes, it gets a bit confusing otherwise. There is no need to get so rude and arsey about it, but I appreciate you've just run out of issues to campaign over so it's time to make one up.
Original post by Tommyjw

What do you achieve by just yelling abuse at her?

I agree with you that there is not a huge amount left in terms of equality laws based on sexual orientation. However, there are still some controversial issues such as the formal recognition of homosexual marriage, and opposition to teaching about same-sex parenting in schools to be dealt with. There are of course lots of other serious issues in society and our world as a whole which would take higher priority if needed; but that doesn't detract from causes such as LGBT equality.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 119
I have my reasons. I shouldn't need to justify them. I should be able to correct people and them just accept that.

This is another form of discrimination based both on sexuality and gender.

No more so than anyone calling an actress an "actress".

I'm was only asking because you're using a word that is traditionally associated with male homosexuals, whilst "lesbian" is used for female homosexuals. Just caught my interest. To try and make it a case of discrimination is a bit strange though. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending