The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SteveCrain
seems a well furnished idea; why medicine then

More stable career. I love biology, and science on the whole. I've been very ill in the past (as in, death in 3 days without medication), and I hate the idea that it could happen again, so I want to be able to diagnose and cure myself as well as others. I fancy working abroad, in relief efforts and disaster zones. Don't particularly like all the mathematics in doing Economics at university, certainly far more than you'd need in a city firm. Potential to do something similar after a medical degree, by joining a pharmaceutical firm or similar. There's also potential to start business using knowledge accessible only to doctors (vaguely worded, but it means that doctors can also become business men), as someone I know is doing. My parents don't mind me doing Economics, but they'd prefer me to do medicine, it's the least I could do. I really enjoy helping people and I regret that I didn't start earlier. I'm still not sure whether Economics interests me enough for me to study for 3 years. Fascinated by hospitals ever since I had to get grommets as a kid. I love thinking through the ethical dilemmas some doctors face. After you get to consultant/GP level, it's relatively easy, whereas unless you're hugely successful, you'll still be working your ass off at 50 in a city firm. Chicks love doctors.

Many, many reasons, what about you, what route would you take if it were not for medicine.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 861
Original post by SteveCrain
Probably the scope of career options. I may choose not to apply, but in the while I am ticking the boxes. urself?

Scrubs! nah i wanted to do a job that I'll feel usefull, but wanting to becoming a doc and becoming one takes a lot of work
How are u guys getting yr work experience??
I'm kinda stuck here cos I'm from HK and I will be spending the summer at home..
Unlike the UK they don't allow shadowing unless you have some connections
And I assume that most UK medical schools expect some medicine-related work experience??
Sighhhh
Original post by cz100
Hospital accommodation. I don't know any more about it right now so a bit scared and excited too. My first time away from home alone!

Wow, that actually sounds quite scary but exciting. What are you going to do when you're not at the hosp? I guess it'll mean you're more prepared for being away when you go to uni, though. :smile:
Reply 864
Original post by Straight up G

More stable career. I love biology, and science on the whole. I've been very ill in the past (as in, death in 3 days without medication), and I hate the idea that it could happen again, so I want to be able to diagnose and cure myself as well as others. I fancy working abroad, in relief efforts and disaster zones. Don't particularly like all the mathematics in doing Economics at university, certainly far more than you'd need in a city firm. Potential to do something similar after a medical degree, by joining a pharmaceutical firm or similar. There's also potential to start business using knowledge accessible only to doctors (vaguely worded, but it means that doctors can also become business men), as someone I know is doing. My parents don't mind me doing Economics, but they'd prefer me to do medicine, it's the least I could do. I really enjoy helping people and I regret that I didn't start earlier. I'm still not sure whether Economics interests me enough for me to study for 3 years. Fascinated by hospitals ever since I had to get grommets as a kid. I love thinking through the ethical dilemmas some doctors face. After you get to consultant/GP level, it's relatively easy, whereas unless you're hugely successful, you'll still be working your ass off at 50 in a city firm. Chicks love doctors.

Many, many reasons, what about you, what route would you take if it were not for medicine.

Be honest, that's your main reason. :sexface:
Reply 865
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Wow, that actually sounds quite scary but exciting. What are you going to do when you're not at the hosp? I guess it'll mean you're more prepared for being away when you go to uni, though. :smile:

Maybe go for a dander around the town... each day is only 9-4 and I can't shut myself in the room the whole time! Like everyone I've talked to have said, we have to leave home sooner or later so I'll get a feel of what it'll be like. I'm dreading carting the suitcase around the airport after 4 days of hiking though.
Original post by Rocketeeer
How are u guys getting yr work experience??
I'm kinda stuck here cos I'm from HK and I will be spending the summer at home..
Unlike the UK they don't allow shadowing unless you have some connections
And I assume that most UK medical schools expect some medicine-related work experience??
Sighhhh

Email/write to GP surgeries. You could get work exp sorted for before/after you go to HK... even if it means missing school?

But med schools know hard it is to get work exp so it's not a requirement, it just helps you get an insight... if you can show that you understand the positives and negatives of medicine as a career without med then you don't need work exp. You could read Max Pemberton's books/talk to medics on here/watch that Junior Doctors programme that was on the BBC (apparently it was quite accurate?) to get the insight, I think.
Do you have any volunteer work with kids/people with disabilities or illnesses/elderly people? Because that's more of a requirement than work exp, it seems. :smile:
Original post by oHellno
Be honest, that's your main reason. :sexface:

Do you love doctors, darling?

and y u stalkin
Original post by cz100
Maybe go for a dander around the town... each day is only 9-4 and I can't shut myself in the room the whole time! Like everyone I've talked to have said, we have to leave home sooner or later so I'll get a feel of what it'll be like. I'm dreading carting the suitcase around the airport after 4 days of hiking though.

Which city is it? You should so explore the med school (if they have one) :teeth:
They're right but it's still scary that we have to move out and accept the responsibility so soon. :/
Ouch. :s-smilie: Try not to pack too much, I guess. :p:
Reply 869
Which city is it? You should so explore the med school (if they have one) :teeth:
They're right but it's still scary that we have to move out and accept the responsibility so soon. :/
Ouch. :s-smilie: Try not to pack too much, I guess. :p:

Somewhere in Surrey... Quite close to London I think. I don't think I'd want to go near London though since I live in a smallish town and won't be used to the big city at all. One of my friends went to London with her youth group last year and she said it was really scary especially when they had to use the underground and they were in a big group.
Reply 870
Do you love doctors, darling?

and y u stalkin

Yes, I do :sexface:

i always stalk you:ninjagirl:
(edited 13 years ago)
Haha wow, looking at this thread makes it all feel real!! [& that rhymes :ahee:]
Original post by oHellno
Yes, I do :sexface:

i always stalk you:ninjagirl:

Well, stop it, I don't like the idea.
Reply 873

Well, stop it, I don't like the idea.

:ahee:
Original post by ithoughtofthis
Haha wow, looking at this thread makes it all feel real!! [& that rhymes :ahee:]

Well aren't you Eminem :tongue:

And yep, seems like just yesterday I was in year 11, thinking I had ages until writing on a thread like this.
Original post by oHellno
:ahee:

Stop being rude. I never liked it when you were rude to me.
Well aren't you Eminem :tongue:

And yep, seems like just yesterday I was in year 11, thinking I had ages until writing on a thread like this.

:ninja: Yes. Yes I am, how did you---? :ninja:

I always looked at the 'Medicine 2011' Applicants thread, apprehending the moment I'd be able to contribute to the 2012 one! Didnt think it would come so soon :shock:
Original post by cz100
Somewhere in Surrey... Quite close to London I think. I don't think I'd want to go near London though since I live in a smallish town and won't be used to the big city at all. One of my friends went to London with her youth group last year and she said it was really scary especially when they had to use the underground and they were in a big group.

Ah, fair enough, although you never know, you might like it. :p:
The underground is scary but it's an experience. When I went, we saw the guy from Queen's Nose... the one who burned down the house. :ahee: And there are some really beautiful places so I guess it has its ups and downs.
Email/write to GP surgeries. You could get work exp sorted for before/after you go to HK... even if it means missing school?

But med schools know hard it is to get work exp so it's not a requirement, it just helps you get an insight... if you can show that you understand the positives and negatives of medicine as a career without med then you don't need work exp. You could read Max Pemberton's books/talk to medics on here/watch that Junior Doctors programme that was on the BBC (apparently it was quite accurate?) to get the insight, I think.
Do you have any volunteer work with kids/people with disabilities or illnesses/elderly people? Because that's more of a requirement than work exp, it seems. :smile:

Nah i dun think i should miss school for work experience..
thanks for the advice btw, im watching the programme as well its awesome!
yea i do.. i was in cambodia for 11 days during christmas building a school for khmer kids..
its got nothing to do with medicine though :s-smilie:
Original post by ithoughtofthis
:ninja: Yes. Yes I am, how did you---? :ninja:

I always looked at the 'Medicine 2011' Applicants thread, apprehending the moment I'd be able to contribute to the 2012 one! Didnt think it would come so soon :shock:

I dunno, I've got these psychic powers.

And yep, same. Odd that I'm part of one now. Hits home the reality that UCAS is just a few months away.

Latest

Trending

Trending