The Student Room Group

I'm gay but hate the LGBT acronym

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phebec
I know what is being discussed has veered wildly from my OP, but I am shocked at how well I've trolled

youre a tool
Reply 121
Original post by kellymichelle
every other thing youve said except for the giving blood thing is clearly bull****.
and deep down you know it.
you havent proved that gay people can adopt 'purely fine'.
and what about the rest of the world though hmmm
because it was never in any part of the discussion that we were 'only talking about the UK'. you added that in when you realised that you were acting like the UK was like the rest of the world.
and then you contradicted yourself and included examples of problems that arent in the UK.
are you gonna shutup now or what cause im tired :')

the discussion was clearly about the UK, you only brought up international things when he owned you. He even said he knows homophobia is terrible internationally.
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
So am I. My problem is with atheist heterosexual couples being able to use marriage in a secular sense, but not homosexual couples of any religious or non-religious denomination.

That will change in due course. Gays can call themselves married, conjoined, whatever they like. You just have to tick a different box on a form, and even then you could just tick the married box. It's hardly a life changer. Gays have just been fighting for so long they don't know how to stop and enjoy the rights they've won.
Original post by Hylean
No more so than anyone calling an actress an "actress".

I'm was only asking because you're using a word that is traditionally associated with male homosexuals, whilst "lesbian" is used for female homosexuals. Just caught my interest. To try and make it a case of discrimination is a bit strange though. :s-smilie:

To be fair, I often prefer to use the word gay over lesbian.

That person is gay.
That person is a lesbian.

I don't think I like being defined as "a homosexual", it's part of me rather than a defining factor, if that makes sense?
Original post by Phebec
the discussion was clearly about the UK, you only brought up international things when he owned you. He even said he knows homophobia is terrible internationally.

never stated = no argument.
you created a thread which you knew would cause controversy purely for that reason. youre a tool. simple as.
Original post by Anonymous
That will change in due course. Gays can call themselves married, conjoined, whatever they like. You just have to tick a different box on a form, and even then you could just tick the married box. It's hardly a life changer. Gays have just been fighting for so long they don't know how to stop and enjoy the rights they've won.

But why should we have to wait? Why should we stop and "enjoy" what we have "won" when there is still discrimination going on, not just here but all over the world?
Reply 126
To be fair, I often prefer to use the word gay over lesbian.

That person is gay.
That person is a lesbian.

I don't think I like being defined as "a homosexual", it's part of me rather than a defining factor, if that makes sense?

That makes sense, the latter bit anyway, I just don't see how "gay" is any better in that sense, really. That's why I used the "actress" analogy, because, like you say, it's a part of you rather than an identity or defining factor. Just found it interesting. I like psycho- and sociolinguistics, so I was curious.
I agree, but not with the attention seekers! Ignorant person
Reply 128
every other thing youve said except for the giving blood thing is clearly bull****.
and deep down you know it.
you havent proved that gay people can adopt 'purely fine'.
and what about the rest of the world though hmmm
because it was never in any part of the discussion that we were 'only talking about the UK'. you added that in when you realised that you were acting like the UK was like the rest of the world.
and then you contradicted yourself and included examples of problems that arent in the UK.
are you gonna shutup now or what cause im tired :')

You havent proved adopting isnt? You have as little experience in it as i do.

Yes, it was obvious we were talking abvout UK. If we werent talking about UK than the fact we were both talking about specific adoption, marriage and giving blood facts was wrong. We were both talking about it, thus we both knew we were intentionally only talking about the UK at those points. Got that stupid?
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I have my reasons. I shouldn't need to justify them. I should be able to correct people and them just accept that.

This is another form of discrimination based both on sexuality and gender.

That is like someone calling you a female. Words tend to discriminate i'm afraid. Like if I pointed at the cutlery draw and said pass me a piece of cutlery, the person would say 'which one' and I would say 'uh uh uh, I don't accept cutlery discrimination in my household'. Inuit's have 7 different words for snow, we have three different words for the three groups of homosexuals.

This reminds me of the South Park where every single thing has exactly the same name pronounced differently. Would you like us to say gay with an upward inflection so we know we're referring to a female homosexual, or would that be pronunciation discrimination?
Original post by Tommyjw
You havent proved adopting isnt? You have as little experience in it as i do.

Yes, it was obvious we were talking abvout UK. If we werent talking about UK than the fact we were both talking about specific adoption, marriage and giving blood facts was wrong. We were both talking about it, thus we both knew we were intentionally only talking about the UK at those points. Got that stupid?

yeah ok.
i cba anymore.
iv only really joined in cause its really made me laugh.
now if you excuse me im gonna go meet my girlfriend and wave rainbow flags around demanding equality. byeee.
Original post by Hylean
That makes sense, the latter bit anyway, I just don't see how "gay" is any better in that sense, really. That's why I used the "actress" analogy, because, like you say, it's a part of you rather than an identity or defining factor. Just found it interesting. I like psycho- and sociolinguistics, so I was curious.

Nah, I see what you mean. i do have ideas about this, but I've got a mother bitch of a headache, so I'm gonna go sleep that off and maybe come back tomorrow ;d
Reply 132
erm nah,
its true.
just like anything.
you cant possibly truly understand transexuality if you arent one.
you cant understand things unless youve been through them yourself.
and your comment there just proves it.
you dont know jack about it.

This really is total nonsense and more importantly dangerous isolating nonsense that some people in LGBT try and propogate.

My experience as a gay guy is very different from my current partner and hugely different from that of my ex for a massive variety reasons. The same is true of all my gay friends. The simple reason is that of course that all LGBT individuals have different circumstances/feelings/beliefs etc.. - the only loose binding connection being that we are not heterosexual.

The idea that I can truly understand every gay guy is as absurd. Why simply because we are both attracted to the same sex?

Equally it is absurd to suggest that I cannot understand the feelings of my straight male friends because I am not straight and have never fancied a girl.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I have my reasons. I shouldn't need to justify them. I should be able to correct people and them just accept that.

This is another form of discrimination based both on sexuality and gender.

Lesbian: female homosexual.

You're female. You're homosexual. You're a lesbian.

Simple as. Wasn't me as the anon, but ranting against correct use of the word lesbian is ridiculous.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by sherlllll
Lesbian: female homosexual.

You're female. You're homosexual. You're a lesbian.

Simple as. Wasn't me as the anon, but ranting against correct use of the word lesbian is ridiculous.

she could be genderqueer or something and therefore not want to identify as a lesbian.
but then again i suppose her username suggests she's not genderqueer.
Reply 135
she could be genderqueer or something and therefore not want to identify as a lesbian.
but then again i suppose her username suggests she's not genderqueer.

Now there's an awful term if ever there was one. "Genderqueer", who thought that up!
But why should we have to wait? Why should we stop and "enjoy" what we have "won" when there is still discrimination going on, not just here but all over the world?

You have driven an issue to the point at which you are now fighting to tick a different box on a form, when you yourself have defended being so different you need an entirely separate club to meet up at. Even few feminists have tried to have the 'male' and 'female' box replaced with a 'human' box. You will definitely get to tick that elusive box one day, you could even tick it today, the police are hardly going to come and cart you off if you put that on the census are they?

And hey, you shouldn't have to wait. I just think you should, because you have the opportunity to reap the rewards of what all the homosexuals before you fought for, and if they came forwards from the 60s to now they would be dismayed at how far we've come and laugh heartily at how amazing it is that the last hurdle in Britain is being able to tick a box on a form that gives your unity to your partner an identical instead of parallel status.

And I would like to add to this, that your parading down every highstreet in Britain once a year in a highly homosexual fashion (not that I could care less) is actually damaging attempts at equality for homosexuals in other countries. These highly religious societies look at our society and see our manifestation of equal rights and think it will be the same in their country, and they don't want thousands of men walking through their town centres in leather thongs, but nevertheless that is what they think will happen if they stop their discrimination. They laugh at us and think we are ungodly and it toughens their resolves to keep gays in a subordinate position. Didn't you see the Scott Mills thing in Uganda? All the homophobes just laughed at the idea of equality, often stating that in Britain it has resulted in the homosexualising of our society.
Reply 137
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_by_country_or_territory

oooh look at all of those big red crosses, thats funny, i thought we were equal.

all your doing is trying to change your opinions into facts.

Using your logic is it not impossible for those of us lucky enough to be gay in the UK where homosexuality is widely accepted to know what gay people in, for example, Uganda are going through - after all we haven't been through it!
Reply 138

This.

I don't see how it hurts anyone if a woman who only pursues relationships with women doesn't like the word 'lesbian'. I don't. It's not aesthetically pleasing, and I have mild synaesthesia so certain words really bother me because of the texture/colour associations they have. If I self-describe as 'queer', I'm not hurting anyone.
Original post by Hylean
Now there's an awful term if ever there was one. "Genderqueer", who thought that up!

no idea!
it is a bit of an odd term tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending