The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Haha, just walk, unless it's a small lecture like <20 then just say excuse me for a moment as you leave.
You dont ask pal, you just walk out and walk back in
My lectures are usually 2 hours...
Original post by Elise713
Okay, so it's a bit of a stupid question but if you're in the middle of a lecture and you need the toilet, can you go? i can't imagine putting my hand up and asking, but then again i'd feel rude just walking out. So, from students at uni, what do you dooo? :colondollar:

also..how long are lectures normally? :redface: :tongue:

You can go to the toilet any time you wish. Definitely don't put your hand up to ask though... people will laugh at you.
Reply 4
Try and learn some control and go before or after?
Reply 5
Yep its totally normal for people to leave to go to the toilet - your lecturer shouldn't say anything about you leaving and if so just say your going to the toilet and all is fine =]
Reply 6
Ha ha! Good question! This is important info for us newbies!! Not sure I can last an hour without a wee break!!! Will have to get in training :-)
Reply 7
The seats in our lecture hall take the piss, if you need to go to the toilet and you happen to be sitting in the middle of a row, 1/2 the row would have to stand up to make room for you. It might be really disruptive for some.
Yes - just go.
You just storm out as if the lecture was s*** and you got fed up.
Reply 10
Treat it like a film. As long as you're quiet and get back in quickly, no harm done except the people on your row might be a bit upset.
I just leave, unless it's coming up to the end of lecture anyway.

Lectures are either 50 minutes, or 1h50.
Original post by Hopple
Treat it like a film. As long as you're quiet and get back in quickly, no harm done except the people on your row might be a bit upset.

hmm - a very good analogy :tongue:
Our lectures in Southampton are generally only an hour at most so I never really thought about it. Just go out and come back with as little fuss as possible, though, and if you are likely to get up for a break during the lecture then sit near one end of the row of seats. Otherwise you get something like in the cinema when the whole row has to get up to let you out...
If you're sitting near the door/at the end of a row, sneak out when the lecturer turns around.

Otherwise, if you're in the middle of a row, you'll have to wait.
Reply 15
Original post by gemma_sb
Ha ha! Good question! This is important info for us newbies!! Not sure I can last an hour without a wee break!!! Will have to get in training :-)

I may have to join you in that training! :tongue:

Original post by uer23
The seats in our lecture hall take the piss, if you need to go to the toilet and you happen to be sitting in the middle of a row, 1/2 the row would have to stand up to make room for you. It might be really disruptive for some.

just have to find a sly way to sit at the end :biggrin:

Original post by oh-my-diddy
You just storm out as if the lecture was s*** and you got fed up.

:')
Reply 16
I've never yet left a lecture early, though I have seen people pop out for 5 minutes, no big deal, and certainly don't raise your hand and ask! :biggrin:
Reply 17
just go. my lectures are 2-3 hours each, and going to the toilet is away to stop yourself committing suicide from BOREDOM!

enjoy :biggrin:
just wander out, even to answer important phone calls!

my lectures are 3 hours, with a break half way through, then you go into seminar groups, which are much smaller.
My brothers at Imperial and when I ring him sometimes he blocks my call then two minutes later calls me back saying sorry I was in a lecture so I'm assuming he just steps out. I don't know why the fact it's Imperial is relevant :smile:

Point being most lecturers will just be happy if you show up regularly to lectures. No lecturer will call you out for leaving because for all they know you have some sort of medical condition or something. My gf's sister has Crohn's and must always be leaving her lectures the poor thing.

Unless you show up to every lecture and leave 4 or 5 times I don't see it being a problem. The lecturer certainly wont call you on it in front of everyone. Imagine being in a lecture and the lecturer asks the student why he keeps leaving and he replies by saying he has some sort of medical condition. The lecturers gonna look like an idiot. He might just pull you aside after and ask you if you always do it but I doubt you need to leave that much.

Latest