The Student Room Group

graduate entry medicine is competitive because there are less places so whats used to

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I dunno.. Based on the (rather old and sketchy, I admit) data on medicalschool online, school leaver chances range from 9-38% whereas the GEP courses are 5-16%.

example: Barts

undergrad - 1 in 3 applicants get a place
graduate - 1 in 13 applicants get a place
(from their 2012 prospectus)

AND ukcat cut-off was something like 60 points higher I believe?

So....if you're having problems getting on to an undergraduate medicine course, then definitely do not think that applying to a GEP three years later is an easy alternative!
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I dunno.. Based on the (rather old and sketchy, I admit) data on medicalschool online, school leaver chances range from 9-38% whereas the GEP courses are 5-16%.

that, and the courses which do have data on there are, from what i've been told at interview by admissions staff, generally on the lower end of the competition scale compared to the ones which aren't on it. kings and newcastle definitely have applicant ratios as high or higher than 5%, at least.
Original post by alia
lol why does everyone want me to reapply....I CANT!!!!
sorry to sound like a prick when everyones just trying to help but the tuiton fees arent worth and i made a mistake.YES!
i shouldve done bio this yr...too bad i didnt but medicine isnt the world.
i cant sit at home forever.

you will have to pay at the very least 9000 pounds of your own money with no student loan available straight off the bat for tuition fees for the gep course. and that's if they increase the funding available... which they won't. with the 5 year you may pay more overall, but it's all as a loan that you can ignore until you get a well paid job. you also sound, to be frank, like a tit and gep is more competitive at interview so unless you completely change your personality in 3 years you're probably better off going for the 5 year
Original post by alia
lol why does everyone want me to reapply....I CANT!!!!
sorry to sound like a prick when everyones just trying to help but the tuiton fees arent worth and i made a mistake.YES!
i shouldve done bio this yr...too bad i didnt but medicine isnt the world.
i cant sit at home forever.

Don't do medicine then! Change your plans, if medicine isn't the end of the world, since it seems very unlikely that you'll get in, pick a different career! The facts aren't going to change just because you throw a strop. And yes, before you ask, I am a graduate in Philosophy, and have 2 offers for medicine. No I cannot show you my offer letters, I can't be arsed and my duck ate them.

Maybe considering your propensity for endlessly arguing without making a coherent point and your penchant for utterly irrational statements, politics might be an idea?
Why are you guys feeding the troll?
Original post by winter_mute
Why are you guys feeding the troll?

Eh, there's nothing on tv, come dine with me on more 4 is the Nottingham episode they've showed 50,000 times and I cba to get off the sofa. It's either this for entertainment, or revision. Plus it's kinda funny. :tongue:
Original post by Duckasaurus
Eh, there's nothing on tv, come dine with me on more 4 is the Nottingham episode they've showed 50,000 times and I cba to get off the sofa. It's either this for entertainment, or revision. Plus it's kinda funny. :tongue:

Fair play. Carry on! :tongue:
I've gotta say, this thread has eaten up all of my rep today. Actually laughing out loud, I don't care if this is a troll of not.
Reply 88
Original post by felt_monkey
Please let this be a troll.
1) Your post is crawling with a 'blame everyone else' attitude. Are you seriously saying the reason you were rejected from Keele was because you fell out with your friends?
2) Lack of chavs eh? So what are you going to do when you enter the real world? You won't get on with everyone.
3) Wtf do you mean, the Soton waiting list was fake? Try telling that to the two people I know that got into Soton through it.
4) Don't spam. What was the point of posting 3 times in 6 minutes?

sorry on my phone, negged you by mistake. Remind me to make it up later :redface:
Reply 89
Don't do medicine then! Change your plans, if medicine isn't the end of the world, since it seems very unlikely that you'll get in, pick a different career! The facts aren't going to change just because you throw a strop. And yes, before you ask, I am a graduate in Philosophy, and have 2 offers for medicine. No I cannot show you my offer letters, I can't be arsed and my duck ate them.

Maybe considering your propensity for endlessly arguing without making a coherent point and your penchant for utterly irrational statements, politics might be an idea?

aha is philosophy even a course...and dont tell me not do medicine, i can do whatever i want if you got offers then its much more likey that i will.
(BTW im not bothered abt money costs...)
:smile:
Original post by alia
aha is philosophy even a course...and dont tell me not do medicine, i can do whatever i want if you got offers then its much more likey that i will.
(BTW im not bothered abt money costs...)
:smile:

Ah, you've come out from under the bridge. Good thing, the nutters on Louis Theroux were getting a bit boring, I fancied something more extreme! :tongue:

Ok- 1) Yes, Philosophy is a course. I got a BA in it :smile: would you like a link to the prospectus? (I spose the clichéd answer would be: "Is it? Is anything even a course?")
2) You said you didn't care about medicine, that it wasn't the end of the world! If that's your attitude, it makes little sense to continue, surely?
3) Slagging me off would work, but for the fact THAT I GOT OFFERS at a graduate level, no less. Which, as you've been told multiple times, is more competitive than school leaver entry. So.... your argument is redundant.
4) I'm glad that you don't have to worry about money. If this is the case, can I ask why you kept asking me about it? Do you just like my typing? Is it your way of keeping our relationship going? Do you miss me when I'm not replying? I know my avatar is stunningly attractive, but I'm not actually a hadrosaur. :frown:
Reply 91
Ah, you've come out from under the bridge. Good thing, the nutters on Louis Theroux were getting a bit boring, I fancied something more extreme! :tongue:

Ok- 1) Yes, Philosophy is a course. I got a BA in it :smile: would you like a link to the prospectus? (I spose the clichéd answer would be: "Is it? Is anything even a course?&quot:wink:
2) You said you didn't care about medicine, that it wasn't the end of the world! If that's your attitude, it makes little sense to continue, surely?
3) Slagging me off would work, but for the fact THAT I GOT OFFERS at a graduate level, no less. Which, as you've been told multiple times, is more competitive than school leaver entry. So.... your argument is redundant.
4) I'm glad that you don't have to worry about money. If this is the case, can I ask why you kept asking me about it? Do you just like my typing? Is it your way of keeping our relationship going? Do you miss me when I'm not replying? I know my avatar is stunningly attractive, but I'm not actually a hadrosaur. :frown:

you keep telling me not to do graduate entry when you did it yourself
i dont understand you?
your avatar is gorgeous btw bbz...xxx
Original post by dmz
sorry on my phone, negged you by mistake. Remind me to make it up later :redface:

You cancelled out the rep points I got for the same post :sad: :p:
Reply 93
Original post by felt_monkey
You cancelled out the rep points I got for the same post :sad: :p:

You have already rated a post by this user recently!

:sad:
Original post by alia
you keep telling me not to do graduate entry when you did it yourself
i dont understand you?
your avatar is gorgeous btw bbz...xxx

Because I did it with no other choice. There wasn't opportunity for me to apply as a school leaver (long story, involves violins). If there had been, I would've applied there and then. And I did it when the fees per year were around £3500, which means in total, I only have to pay £14k. Which is unpleasant, but dealable with. You're talking about a whole different ball game.
Reply 95
Because I did it with no other choice. There wasn't opportunity for me to apply as a school leaver (long story, involves violins). If there had been, I would've applied there and then. And I did it when the fees per year were around £3500, which means in total, I only have to pay £14k. Which is unpleasant, but dealable with. You're talking about a whole different ball game.

so how long ago...and yeh things have gotten more expensive -thats life.
maybe 10 years ago or whatever when you did it they didnt have ukcat,now we do thats life.
Original post by alia
so how long ago...and yeh things have gotten more expensive -thats life.
maybe 10 years ago or whatever when you did it they didnt have ukcat,now we do thats life.

Yes. I am that good. I applied for medicine 10 years ago when I was 11. Of course.

They had UKCAT 4 years ago, yes. And inflation is one thing, but I think fees going from £14k to £36 is Zimbabwe levels.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 97
Yes. I am that good. I applied for medicine when I was 11. Of course.

They had UKCAT 4 years ago, yes. And inflation is one thing, but I think fees going from £14k to £36 is Zimbabwe levels.

if money is the problem then its settled
/thread
Original post by alia
if money is the problem then its settled
/thread

Please actually end the thread then. Your attitude and spelling makes you as annoying as a mosquito.
Reply 99
I have read 5 pages and Im still not quite sure what the OP wants to know/hear?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending