The Student Room Group

How do i tell my parents i want to go back to uni even though its a holiday?

I'm back at home for a month and i hate it here. I live in a town in the middle of nowhere, literally 20 miles to a big town and i'm losing my mind and feeling a bit homesick (for uni, i've gotten use to the place). I just hate it, there is nothing at all happening here.

Further, i have to stay with my Dad 24/7 since he's on benefits after the business went tits up and he has too much pride to get more qualifications and try to find work. So, i'm left with him moaning and naggng me all day and expecting me to do everything for him. My Mum is the only breadwinner in the household when i'm gone so i feel bad because i'm leaving her and my sister with him.

But literally, i've been back for 2 days and i'm losing my mind. I hate it here so much. How do i break it to them that i want to go back to uni asap?

Scroll to see replies

Tell your dad to sort himself out.
" I'm going back to uni in the holidays "
Reply 3
"Mum, Dad, I'm going back to Uni, talk to you soon".

:dontknow:
Just say "I'm going back to uni for a bit"
That's what I did in the christmas holidays. My parents weren't that bothered about it :smile:
If they ask why, say it's to spend time with your friends.
Reply 5
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe

Me and my sister have given up. He's just a waster, literally can't bring himself to find a job because he's use to thinking that he can order everyone around.

It's annoying tbh that he just sits around and uses my Mum's money. Painful to see, i just want to start a rant every time i see him moan about housework because he expects everyone else to do it for him.
Reply 6
Then just say your leaving and leave? They cant physically stop you from going, and if its emotional reasons that are personally stopping you from going then stay, face up to them and sort them out.
Reply 7
Just say you think you'll get more studying done at uni without a crowded house to distract you.
Original post by mirin?

Further, i have to stay with my Dad 24/7 since he's on benefits after the business went tits up and he has too much pride to get more qualifications and try to find work.

*is too lazy

but seriously, you're an adult, tell them you're going to go back to uni for a bit, love them and will talk soon.
Original post by mirin?
Me and my sister have given up. He's just a waster, literally can't bring himself to find a job because he's use to thinking that he can order everyone around.

It's annoying tbh that he just sits around and uses my Mum's money. Painful to see, i just want to start a rant every time i see him moan about housework because he expects everyone else to do it for him.

Yeah, I really would tell him if I were you, he needs sorting out. He ain't doing himself any favours sitting on his arse claiming benefits. He is putting a strain on your family, and your mother in particular.
Just go back? You are an adult now after all and I assume you've taken out loans and aren't financially dependent on them. But they are your family and deserve to know, I guess - just simply say you can work better and are more suited to the environment at uni. If you had a job or something at uni that would be even more reason to stay over the holidays... it's what some of my friends have done. Either way, there's no need for you to be at one place or another for the whole time.

That's ****ing great advice that is. It'll definitely make her Dad get an A-Level in Physics and then go fix that radiation thingy in Japan.
Just say you've got an emergency that's emerged, which you have to take care of very quickly (and that it could take a long time)
Original post by Hippysnake
It'll definitely make her Dad get an A-Level in Physics and then go fix that radiation thingy in Japan.

:rofl: :yy:
Original post by Hippysnake
That's ****ing great advice that is. It'll definitely make her Dad get an A-Level in Physics and then go fix that radiation thingy in Japan.

Glad it gets the 'Hippysnake' seal of approval. That is, after all, what I've been seeking, my entire TSR life.
Glad it gets the 'Hippysnake' seal of approval. That is, after all, what I've been seeking, my entire TSR life.

Reply 16
first of all give your dad a backhander and second of all say something like i've got assigments to do
Reply 17
Original post by mirin?
x

Get a part time job/volunteer where your uni is, then you only have to be back for the rest of the week.

If you don't want to go back even then, pick up more shifts (or lie and say you have) or say the train fare is too expensive to keep going back and forth.

Good luck x
Original post by ppp
first of all give your dad a backhander and second of all say something like i've got assigments to do

+rep
im staying in uni for the easter holidays, i dont think i could go home for a whole month.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending