The Student Room Group

If you/your girlfriend got pregnant, how would people around you react?

If you got pregnant, or got someone pregnant right now, how do you expect would the people around you (boyfriend/girlfriend, family, friends, teachers etc) react? I'm sixteen and although I'm very careful, it has crossed my mind.

Boyfriend - we were discussing this. He's promised me he would stand by me and our baby - we are planning to start a family together anyway, when we have a place of our own and are married, but in the event of an "accident", I know that he would love the baby, and would be just as opposed to having an abortion as i would be.

Family - not too sure on this one. They have a habit of being quite volatile and flying off the handle without warning, and then regretting their actions later. They'd support me eventually, I'm sure of it, but I think they'd say a lot of very hurtful and impulsive things first.

Friends - They're fairly used to teenage pregnancy, it's happened a lot all around us recently but never to one of us, if I were to be pregnant, I think some would instantly be happy (a good friend of mine thought I was telling him I was pregnant earlier when I actually had some different news to tell him, and instantly demanded to be godfather), whereas others would tell me I was throwing my life away.

Teachers - I doubt they'd care :colone:

Scroll to see replies

Boyfriend would freak out and want me to get an abortion for sure. Friends would support me. Family would help me as well as support me decision. Boyfriends family would probably want an abortion too though.
I'd probably be hailed as some sort of messiah for getting my hand pregnant.
(edited 13 years ago)
In b4 "I can't get my hand pregnant"
I have a baby.

I got disowned by all of my family. (apart from my mummy - she's been amazing, not all the time but very supportive + helpful through my education)

Most of my friends also disowned me if not bitched/gossiped etc :smile:

I got thrown out of school (independent girls boarding school)
(edited 13 years ago)
Girlfriend would probably cry and be worried... I like kids won't tell her to abort, and leave the decision to her, if she keeps the baby, I have to plan on how to earn a good amount of money in 7 months (2 months off for safety)...
and my parents and close relatives will say: 'Can you repeat that?? Are you saying you have a girlfriend??'
Friends: "first daddy of our group, congratulations...'
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
I think it all depends on how influenced that person is in regards to pregnancy.
Reply 7
Well think my parents would claim a virgin birth!! ha ha But seriously, my folks would be totally shocked and pretty disappointed in me - to be honest (because I've never been in a position where it might happen) i've never really thought about it, its such a massive change to your life I think it would be so overwhelming
I don't know. It's one of those situations which you would have to be in to see/know how to react. That's how I see anyway.

:dontknow:

But my parents would probably not be angry, but dissapointed.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
I'd probably be disowned, not because of the pregnancy, but rather the swift falcon punch i would give my gf to get rid of it
I would probably get stabbed in the heart with a knife
no one would ever know... id get an abortion straight away.
Reply 12
Boyfriend - I think he'd support me. We've had this conversation before and he said he'd stand by me no matter what, however, what people say they'll do and what they actually do are 2 different things. If I got pregnant now (18), I'd probably have an abortion anyway...

Family - They wouldn't be too happy. My mum always asks me if I'm being 'careful' because she doesn't want me to 'throw my life away.' I've applied to study medicine, so I think that they have pretty high hopes for me, even though they're not pushy.

Friends - Some of my friends have children, so I know they'd support me.

Teachers - I think they would be disappointed because I've always done well in school and am predicted good grades. My form tutor has been like a friend to me over the past 2 years and so I think she'd be the most concerned. They're used to people getting pregnant though, so it probably wouldn't shock them too much.
Reply 13
Original post by secret_geek
I have a baby.

I got disowned by all of my family.

Most of my friends also disowned me if not bitched/gossiped etc :smile:

I got thrown out of school (independent girls boarding school)

awwh :[ That's sad!:sadnod:
I don't think anyone can say for certain how they would react to such a situation. It's very emotional and sensitive.

I would hope that I could have the decency to stick by the girl, but I won't claim to know.
I would tell my BF and we will get rid of the baby. Because we are not ready at all.

Noone wil ever get to know. :P
I dunno what I'd do. I'd think long and hard, and I'd be completely suppor-SHORYUKEN.
Reply 17
I envisage her family mourning the umpteen generations it would take to fully overwrite my genetic legacy.
Reply 18
Nobody would even know because I would get an abortion too. But if I couldn't for some strange reason. Well, my parents would probably just shout that I have always been a disappointment and that I'm just too stupid to act right. My friends would probably say that they never thought that I would be that stupid and that they thought that I hated kids. Well... There has been a few pregnancies in our school but people have still gossiped.
Reply 19
Probably think I was lying/delirious until I was actually in labour. LOL.

EMZ=]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending