The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge?

For maths, with my grades, which university do you think im more likely to get a place, if at all?

GCSE: 12 A*s 2As
AS Levels: Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Biology

In my January modules got 100% in maths, 86% in further maths (s1), 98% in chemistry, and about 82% in physics.

And my UMS are probably not going to be excellent (like all above 90% kinda thing). And i think STEP is probably a bit beyond me, but in terms of getting an interview as well :smile:

Edit: Read my latest post instead of neg repping...

Edit: I've looked into both universities and their teaching styles / locations / cities / extracurricular facilities all seem good to me, to the extent I don't have a preference to one or the other. It just makes sense that I find out which one I'm more likely to get into as you can only apply to one, and it would just be a waste of a choice to get rejected from one, when I would have had a much greater chance if getting into the other, AND I have equal preferences for both.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by anil10100
For maths, with my grades, which university do you think im more likely to get a place, if at all?

In my January modules got 100% in maths, 86% in further maths (s1), 98% in chemistry, and about 82% in physics.

And my UMS are probably not going to be excellent (like all above 90% kinda thing). And i think STEP is probably a bit beyond me, but in terms of getting an interview as well :smile:

To be honest with those grades, if you keep working hard, you could get in to where you like.

If your heart is set on Oxford or Cambridge, fair enough, but make sure the course is right for you, there are other uni's out there that are worth a look :smile:
Reply 2
LSE
Reply 3
cambridge interview almost everyone as long as your UMS scores are decent enough (which they are). you would have to take STEP to get in, though. they would offer at least: A* in maths, A in furtehr maths and STEP

oxford have the MAT which is based on C1 and C2 (its easier than STEP) but they use marks in that paper to discriminate before interview (not sure how many people get interviews, but i think some get rejected after the test). they wouldnt ask for step, but their offer would be: A* in maths, A* in further maths.

so its up to you, good luck either way
Reply 4
For Maths, I'd personally go for Cambridge. But pick the place that you think you'll be happiest at.
why not judge your decision on which course best suits you and which university you prefer. rather than simply which one you're most likely to get into
And my UMS are probably not going to be excellent (like all above 90% kinda thing). And i think STEP is probably a bit beyond me

If you're looking for where you're more likely to get in, with that information you're better off trying for Oxford.

Obviously there are different factors to consider though.
A lot of factors come into play. Primarily, think about the course you want to study, and see which of them has the program you are most interested in, as well as the university's reputation for the subject (for example, Cambridge - Maths).
Also, just research about each and see which one you could see yourself studying and living at. They both have very high reputations, so you really can't go wrong with either!
Reply 8

what type of school did you go to? Comprehensive: very likely to go; Grammar: less likely (probability decreased quite a lot); Private School: You have the same chance as any other private school student who did well.

Sorry but it is the truth :frown:

Lucky for me I go to a comprehensive and have loads of As an A*s :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by i.am.lost
For Maths, I'd personally go for Cambridge. But pick the place that you think you'll be happiest at.

Who's the girl in your sig? :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by mevidek

Original post by mevidek
what type of school did you go to? Comprehensive: very likely to go; Grammar: less likely (probability decreased quite a lot); Private School: You have the same chance as any other private school student who did well.

Actually that is one crock of Bull****. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Ocassus
Actually that is one crock of Bull****. :smile:

nope :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by mevidek

Original post by mevidek
nope :smile:

Cite your evidence?
Proof?

For an A* student your argument skills seem to be lacking somewhat.
Original post by mevidek

You're hilarious. I'm at cambridge, I went to private school and 99.999999% of the people I have met also went to private school. :rolleyes:
Reply 14
Original post by Ocassus
Cite your evidence?
Proof?

For an A* student your argument skills seem to be lacking somewhat.

Well think about it, in a private school the level of education is very high, so many get very good results.

Grammar schools also provide a very high level of education, and many of the pupils are from less well-off backgrounds. This means that quite a few will get very good results.

Comprehensive schools frequently are very bad, and provide a low level of education. To do well in a comprehensive school one needs to work VERY hard, and is frequently not supported by his/her teachers. If you do brilliantly well then a good University will see you as a high achiever, and a good addition to their students.
Reply 15
Original post by secret_geek
You're hilarious. I'm at cambridge, I went to private school and 99.999999% of the people I have met also went to private school. :rolleyes:

yes but lots of the students have good contacts... :/
Reply 16

Yeah you can, now stop showing off :smile:
Reply 17
Cambridge = Maths, in my opinion.

But at the end of the day, going to Oxford will not hinder your chances in the future; so in essence you are pretty sorted.

If you do get an offer for both universities, you simply can't make decision based on reputation as there are of equal calibre in my opinion.

So think of factor such as location, course content, social life e.t.c to make your university life worthwhile afterall.
Original post by mevidek
yes but lots of the students have good contacts... :/

Usually people with 'good contacts' don't go to state school
Reply 19
Original post by mevidek

Original post by mevidek
Well think about it, in a private school the level of education is very high, so many get very good results.

Grammar schools also provide a very high level of education, and many of the pupils are from less well-off backgrounds. This means that quite a few will get very good results.

Comprehensive schools frequently are very bad, and provide a low level of education. To do well in a comprehensive school one needs to work VERY hard, and is frequently not supported by his/her teachers. If you do brilliantly well then a good University will see you as a high achiever, and a good addition to their students.

Universities are well aware [especially the higher ones] of their status, and are not looking at somebodies background whatsoever when they take a look at your UCAS, the only reason they need to know your school is so that they can ascertain what subjects were on offer and if you took them or not, they are not, like many people assume, aiming to preselect poorer over richer students. They will always, always go for the better student, regardless of where they came from. If a State school pupil is broadly on par with a private school pupil on terms of A levels/GCSEs, they will move onto the next stage [either an internal test or straight to an interview] and then ascertain from there.
You are making the assumption that Universities are part of a wider social agenda, they aren't, they are strictly educational institutions which take the best, regardless of where they came from. If you end up in the interview, it is literally 'what you see is what you get', and they aren't going to beat about the bush around it.

Source - Cambridge Admissions Tutor
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending