The Student Room Group

I like a Pakistani girl but am not myself. Can it work?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by princess271
apparantly pakistanis killed 30 million of our people
:/

I'm Bengali, guessing u r as well?
The estimate of the genocide is lower between the lower biased pakistani estimate of 300,000 and the Bangladeshi biased high of about 2 million i think.
Why on earth is this thread so long? Suppose I could read through and find out, but yeah. There really shouldn't be much more to it than you talking to her, getting to know her and sussing out how you feel etc.? :s-smilie:
Reply 242
Ugh, depends on the person, not whether she's Pakistani! I'm originally Pakistani, and I don't give a flying **** about race or origin. Its just about whether they're a good person, there's an attraction and we get alone. In fact, I have to admit I avoid pakistani men because the ones I've met have a tendancy to be douchbags- but still, I'm not ruling anyone out. So yeah. Talk to her. If she seems uber conservative back off. But only you and people who know her can tell, not a bunch of people on tsr who only know her as a 'Pakistani girl'.
LOOL at Bengalis saying it happens a lot they really need to get out more and stop talking as if U.K is Whitechapel or East London because there are hardly any Pakistanis based in London in relations to the Pakistani community settled elsewhere in the U.K.

Pakistanis and Bengalis don't mix at all and the same goes for Indians, it will hardly ever be accepted unless you meet a family whose an outcast in the community. You can continue to live in a bubble but once you decide to burst the bubble your living in, you'll come to the realisation that Pakistanis don't marry/date Bengalis.

Why not marry a Bengali girl? What's wrong with them? Just curious as i'm sure you would be able to find a pious Bengali girl.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Iqbal007

I'm Bengali, guessing u r as well?
The estimate of the genocide is lower between the lower biased pakistani estimate of 300,000 and the Bangladeshi biased high of about 2 million i think.

yep
i'm bengali.
well dont know how many people died then, but a lot of people did.
my birthday is on bangladesh's independence day :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

Original post by Anonymous
i'm a bangladeshi girl too, n my ex was pakistani.. it's absolutely fine, it would work, if u really want it to be serious.

i dont think it would work
go and watch the movie kitha pailam lool
Original post by silent ninja

Sometimes parents actually know better than you. Your argument is nonsense. You use the extreme example of controling someone to dismiss any input from parents. Who says it's control? You know, a lot of kids actually want to include their family on major life decisions. It makes them happy.

You have a typical western mentality. It's about you you you. How selfish is that. There is often a way to keep everyone happy if it's done properly. Dropping family is a non-option for the vast majority of people (even if they are unreasonable).

1- My parents don't know better than me, they both dropped out of school for as start.

2- It's MY LIFE so therefore I make the decisions in it, if my parents thought I was making a bad decision, they wouldn't voice their opinion unless I had asked for their advice, because they know I would just ignore them anyway.

3- How is it selfish to be independent enough to make your own decisions? :facepalm:

For example, I have a friend that has very demanding parents, he goes to private school, tutors, blah blah blah , his parents FORCE him to work. He hasn't done very well in recent exams.

I on the other hand, have little to no pressure from my parents, they might nag me to do my homework and provide assistance occasionally, but if I'm not self-motivated, they let me fail, it taught me to be self-motivated and independent, to make my own choices. The result is that I got C's and D's in June last year, my parents didn't tell me off, they weren't disappointed, because they had allowed me to make my own choice to not try hard enough so I had to face the consequences myself.

This resulted in me boosting my own self-motivation and time management skills of my own volition, because I wanted to do well for myself so I could achieve what I wanted to achieve, for my own good, not so I could please the family. I had 3 A2 exams and 4 resits last January, I got A's in every exam I took.

They same is true for relationships, if they ever tried to dictate who I fall in love with, I would tell them to do one.
Original post by Dr.Sweet Science
LOOL at Bengalis saying it happens a lot they really need to get out more and stop talking as if U.K is Whitechapel or East London because there are hardly any Pakistanis based in London in relations to the Pakistani community settled elsewhere in the U.K.

Pakistanis and Bengalis don't mix at all and the same goes for Indians, it will hardly ever be accepted unless you meet a family whose an outcast in the community. You can continue to live in a bubble but once you decide to burst the bubble your living in, you'll come to the realisation that Pakistanis don't marry/date Bengalis.

Why not marry a Bengali girl? What's wrong with them? Just curious as i'm sure you would be able to find a pious Bengali girl.

I'm Bengali and marrying a Pakistani from Birmingham.

You fail. Go back to your little bubble. You are a typical Pakistani nationalist.
Original post by Dr.Sweet Science

Actually there are quite a lot of Pakistanis in London, not just east london but west london as well. And do you seem so against this mixng of people? I have seen it a lot in my life.

It seems as though you are giving a biased point of view because I know of plently of pakistani's marrying Bengalis and so have people as you can see from the post on the thread and they have dated.

And Islam states quite clearly a muslim man is for a muslim women, so it doesn't matter who he marries as long as they are a pious muslim girl.
yep
i'm bengali.
well dont know how many people died then, but a lot of people did.
my birthday is on bangladesh's independence day :smile:

ahh thats kinda nice :smile: yeah a lot of people did at first they went for the educated hindus then started killing the Muslims :/, i'm upset about it as there country never apoligised and they raped 100,000+ women :'(. But slowly they are getting closer
Original post by imperial maniac
1- My parents don't know better than me, they both dropped out of school for as start.

2- It's MY LIFE so therefore I make the decisions in it, if my parents thought I was making a bad decision, they wouldn't voice their opinion unless I had asked for their advice, because they know I would just ignore them anyway.

3- How is it selfish to be independent enough to make your own decisions? :facepalm:

For example, I have a friend that has very demanding parents, he goes to private school, tutors, blah blah blah , his parents FORCE him to work. He hasn't done very well in recent exams.

I on the other hand, have little to no pressure from my parents, they might nag me to do my homework and provide assistance occasionally, but if I'm not self-motivated, they let me fail, it taught me to be self-motivated and independent, to make my own choices. The result is that I got C's and D's in June last year, my parents didn't tell me off, they weren't disappointed, because they had allowed me to make my own choice to not try hard enough so I had to face the consequences myself.

This resulted in me boosting my own self-motivation and time management skills of my own volition, because I wanted to do well for myself so I could achieve what I wanted to achieve, for my own good, not so I could please the family. I had 3 A2 exams and 4 resits last January, I got A's in every exam I took.

They same is true for relationships, if they ever tried to dictate who I fall in love with, I would tell them to do one.

I don't see how academics are related to that. Besides, what you said is just purely anecdotal evidence. I could point you toward the hundreds of millions of Chinese and Indian students that are 'forced', as you would put it, by their parents to study and actually do get stellar results. Your example illustrates nothing.

Relationships are different. We're talking about an Islamic tradition, not your Western idea of love. Muslims are not supposed to go out dating and looking for love. So when they do this, it causes trouble as it's not allowed and the parents have been left out of the loop. Families marry, not just the couple, so it's not only about the individuals. Family is more important in Asian cultures. They are often closer.

As for 1 above, that's your parents. Not all parents drop out of school. I said "sometimes" they know better; for instance, in giving life advice and steering you in the right direction. I don't care if you got a PhD, someone older than you has better life experience and you're arrogant if you don't take that on board.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by silent ninja
I don't see how academics are related to that. Besides, what you said is just purely anecdotal evidence. I could point you toward the hundreds of millions of Chinese and Indian students that are 'forced', as you would put it, by their parents to study and actually do get stellar results. Your example illustrates nothing.

Relationships are different. We're talking about an Islamic tradition, not your Western idea of love. Muslims are not supposed to go out dating and looking for love. So when they do this, it causes trouble as it's not allowed and the parents have been left out of the loop. Families marry, not just the couple, so it's not only about the individuals. Family is more important in Asian cultures. They are often closer.

As for 1 above, that's your parents. Not all parents drop out of school. I said "sometimes" they know better; for instance, in giving life advice and steering you in the right direction. I don't care if you got a PhD, someone older than you has better life experience and you're arrogant if you don't take that on board.

I was trying to illustrate my perspective.

Your "muslims do it differently" argument really doesn't add up because:

*newsflash* We live in Britain, not an Islamic country.

In Britain the rights of the individual come before the rights of the family, so therefore there really is no reason why the relationship can't work if the individuals want it to. It really is time for these backwards cultures to enter the 21st century.
Original post by imperial maniac
I was trying to illustrate my perspective.

Your "muslims do it differently" argument really doesn't add up because:

*newsflash* We live in Britain, not an Islamic country.

In Britain the rights of the individual come before the rights of the family, so therefore there really is no reason why the relationship can't work if the individuals want it to. It really is time for these backwards cultures to enter the 21st century.

Muslims have no borders. Whether it is an Islamic country or not is totally irrelevant lol Is it against the law or something?
Don't try to define British culture to me because you can't. Not everyone lives in your world. Britain is made up of a whole host of different peoples and different cultures-- some aspects are maintained. Arrange marriages for example (not forced, that's a totally different thing) is typical amongst Muslims and even many non-Muslim cultures.

I understand your perspective but as a I said, it's not conducive with an Islamic one. In short, you don't understand and probably never will. Calling it "backward" is simply you dismissing something you dont understand in your little mind. There's nothing backward about having traditional family values.
(edited 13 years ago)

ahh thats kinda nice :smile: yeah a lot of people did at first they went for the educated hindus then started killing the Muslims :/, i'm upset about it as there country never apoligised and they raped 100,000+ women :'(. But slowly they are getting closer

omd
100 000 women
thats disgusting and desperate
glad india beat pakistan on the world cup
lol
i do get along with the pakis but my dad always reminds me of what they did
he was there ;/
Reply 254
omd
100 000 women
lol
he was there ;/

Yeah its what surprises me that its usually the pakisanis that hold the grudge when it was their people who did mist, if not all, the harm; we only wanted independence, didn't we?
Original post by Refrigerator
well for a start, if you're muslim you shouldn't be thinking about going out with a girl - no intimacy before marriage I'm afraid

if you're bangladeshi and she's pakistani, I don't see why she won't date you

This!
i dont think it would work
go and watch the movie kitha pailam lool

Countries dont matter, it's human attitude which keeps relationships go :P

n never heard of the movie :s-smilie:
omd
100 000 women
lol
he was there ;/

its a 100, 000 + so more than that :/
yeah same i was hoping for India to win :smile:
and what idiot would give you a neg on this ¬¬ some stupid people out there.. But everytime here stories of what happens I do get angry into why they never apoligised but I realise its to do with pride and their honour which I find is very Unislamic
Original post by Hey TSR
Yeah its what surprises me that its usually the pakisanis that hold the grudge when it was their people who did mist, if not all, the harm; we only wanted independence, didn't we?

Well no we didnt want independence at first, it's just the Bengali's won in parliament and the current government didnt want this so they went to kill the political leaders, when they realised they decided that being with them was wrong. Plus tension had been building up, as bengali wasn't recognised and when a major cyclone hit Bangladesh which killed 100,000 + there response was very bad. Which all built up, basically Bengali's got treated second class in some sense as West Pakistani's believed they were better and we brought them down. ¬¬ And no Muslim nations came to help, this is what you get...

But this shouldn't be a reason for two people to not to get together, i just think they do need to face justice and everyone to get over it once the justice is over
Reply 259
Well no we didnt want independence at first, it's just the Bengali's won in parliament and the current government didnt want this so they went to kill the political leaders, when they realised they decided that being with them was wrong. Plus tension had been building up, as bengali wasn't recognised and when a major cyclone hit Bangladesh which killed 100,000 + there response was very bad. Which all built up, basically Bengali's got treated second class in some sense as West Pakistani's believed they were better and we brought them down. ¬¬ And no Muslim nations came to help, this is what you get...

But this shouldn't be a reason for two people to not to get together, i just think they do need to face justice and everyone to get over it once the justice is over

That's true; leading Nazis were put on trial, so why not these people? If there are still any alive, they should face a fair trial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending