The Student Room Group

How much time do you spend with your parents?

Hi,

Do you guys spend much time with your parents? Recently my mum has been saying that I never sit with her or anything and the only time we are together is when we watch TV with dinner...

I kinda talk to her at dinner and kinda in the car every morning, but I don't set any time aside to hang out with her - am I a bad person?

I'm pretty sure most teenagers don't really sit and chat with their parents, but I dunno, do you guys hang out with your parents?

Scroll to see replies

No, I rarely do but that's just how my family works. I know others who's parents are like their best friends
Reply 2
Even though we're both generally busy with our own lives we still manage to squeeze in a few hours each day of talking / 'hanging out' and I quite like it, it gives me a nice breath of fresh air to get away from everything else.
Reply 3
Original post by Wasted Wrath
No, I rarely do but that's just how my family works. I know others who's parents are like their best friends

Yeah, that's how I thought it was with my family, I don't really remember specifically spending time with my mum, and now that I'm older I don't really go out anymore... we used to go to town like every weekend for god knows why, but I have a good supply of clothes for ages so I don't need to go to town at all, I used to do the groceries with her and I still occasionally do...
Im away at uni so i miss my mum a lot so when im home we spend most evenings together and maybe go out for lunch one day or something :smile: barely ever talk to my dad on the other hand though...
Reply 5
I'm really good friends with my mum, its not like we do lots together, but shes a really good person to talk to, or ask advice from. We go shopping together and spend time together at home. I think its nice. I don't see anything wrong with spending time with your parents, mine are quite laid back and quite good fun really!
Reply 6
I never used to spend time with them, mainly because they'd go on at me how I was failing because I was lazy (true) and I thought going out and underage drinking with my friends was better.

When I got into year 13 started to change my attitude, got sick of hanging around and acting like a ****, started staying in a lot more to revise etc. because of that I am really close with my parents now.
I spend a lot of time chatting with them as they make far better conversation than some of the idiots I hang around with. I also made an effort to chat with them more because I'll proabably be going to a far away University and won't see them often - it's not like I speak with any one else in my family apart from my parents so that's another reason why I make an effort.

You're not a bad person, not everyone gets on with their families, also most teenagers won't stay and chat with their parents until they start to mature a bit. I remember when I hated my parents once upon a time :tongue:
Original post by gemma_sb
I'm really good friends with my mum, its not like we do lots together, but shes a really good person to talk to, or ask advice from. We go shopping together and spend time together at home. I think its nice. I don't see anything wrong with spending time with your parents, mine are quite laid back and quite good fun really!

:ditto:

I spend quite a lot of time with my mum, and we spend most nights talking, watching tv together or listening to music or whatever. I think it helps that we like a lot of the same things and she's also really approachable so I can talk to her about anything. I'm a lot closer to my mum than I am with my dad, who I don't stay with much anymore since I'm studying/revising a lot for my exams and we don't really have much in common with him tbh, although we get on well. Me and my mum on the other hand, tend to out quite a lot: shopping or going out for lunch/dinner. I probably spend more time with her than I do with my friends!
I see my parents every 3 to 4 weeks.
And when I see them it can range from a few hours to a whole day.
I used to spend loads of time with my mum chatting, shopping, watching tv, doing each others hair etc. But now it's all changed.
Reply 9
Original post by avalanche101
I see my parents every 3 to 4 weeks.
And when I see them it can range from a few hours to a whole day.
I used to spend loads of time with my mum chatting, shopping, watching tv, doing each others hair etc. But now it's all changed.

Original post by ScottishShortiex
:ditto:

I spend quite a lot of time with my mum, and we spend most nights talking, watching tv together or listening to music or whatever. I think it helps that we like a lot of the same things and she's also really approachable so I can talk to her about anything. I'm a lot closer to my mum than I am with my dad, who I don't stay with much anymore since I'm studying/revising a lot for my exams and we don't really have much in common with him tbh, although we get on well. Me and my mum on the other hand, tend to out quite a lot: shopping or going out for lunch/dinner. I probably spend more time with her than I do with my friends!

Original post by mellie220
I never used to spend time with them, mainly because they'd go on at me how I was failing because I was lazy (true) and I thought going out and underage drinking with my friends was better.

When I got into year 13 started to change my attitude, got sick of hanging around and acting like a ****, started staying in a lot more to revise etc. because of that I am really close with my parents now.
I spend a lot of time chatting with them as they make far better conversation than some of the idiots I hang around with. I also made an effort to chat with them more because I'll proabably be going to a far away University and won't see them often - it's not like I speak with any one else in my family apart from my parents so that's another reason why I make an effort.

You're not a bad person, not everyone gets on with their families, also most teenagers won't stay and chat with their parents until they start to mature a bit. I remember when I hated my parents once upon a time :tongue:

Original post by gemma_sb

Original post by Jellybean91
Im away at uni so i miss my mum a lot so when im home we spend most evenings together and maybe go out for lunch one day or something :smile: barely ever talk to my dad on the other hand though...

Original post by Linweth
Even though we're both generally busy with our own lives we still manage to squeeze in a few hours each day of talking / 'hanging out' and I quite like it, it gives me a nice breath of fresh air to get away from everything else.

I've noticed that all of you are female - does that change anything do you think? Me and my mum haven't got much in common but sure we can talk for a little while
Reply 10
When I was living in the same country as them, we would meet twice a week or so for dinner... these days it's a phonecall every other week or so... usually the call last less than 10 minutes.
Original post by Refrigerator
I've noticed that all of you are female - does that change anything do you think? Me and my mum haven't got much in common but sure we can talk for a little while

In a way, yes... I think lots of girls are closer to their mums than boys tend to be. My brother used to be really close to my mum (and sort of still is in a way) but he's 14 and spends the entire night in his room, whereas I don't...I usually stay downstairs. However, this isn't the case for everyone...my aunty and my cousin (her son) are a lot closer than my aunty is with my other cousin (her daughter).
Reply 12
Original post by ScottishShortiex
In a way, yes... I think lots of girls are closer to their mums than boys tend to be. My brother used to be really close to my mum (and sort of still is in a way) but he's 14 and spends the entire night in his room, whereas I don't...I usually stay downstairs. However, this isn't the case for everyone...my aunty and my cousin (her son) are a lot closer than my aunty is with my other cousin (her daughter).

Yeah, my mum usually goes on her laptop and watches TV downstairs while I go on the computer upstairs. If they were in the same room we would probably talk more
Hi,

Do you guys spend much time with your parents? Recently my mum has been saying that I never sit with her or anything and the only time we are together is when we watch TV with dinner...

I kinda talk to her at dinner and kinda in the car every morning, but I don't set any time aside to hang out with her - am I a bad person?

I'm pretty sure most teenagers don't really sit and chat with their parents, but I dunno, do you guys hang out with your parents?

never seen my parents in person since christmas 2010, only spoke weekly for a hour or so on skype, being in univerisity does that. Ironically, my parents says that they know more about me and my life than my other brother and sister who just sits in front of the TV killing their brain cells
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jellybean91

this.
i even go do the asda shop with her, as its time i get to spend with her, and we make it into a day, and go for lunch, maybe do a bit of clothes shopping....

when im home i try spend as much time with her as i can.
Yeah, my mum usually goes on her laptop and watches TV downstairs while I go on the computer upstairs. If they were in the same room we would probably talk more

Yes, you probably would. Your situation sounds just like my cousin and her mum (who I described in the previous post) although the opposite way about. My aunty sits upstairs watching tv or whatever, whilst my cousin spends her time downstairs watching tv/on laptop etc :p:

And I suppose that there is some truth in that saying: "A son's a son till he takes a wife; a daughter's a daughter all of her life"

...although this also seems the case during teenage years!
I see my mam generally once a week on a Sunday, and she stays about 6 hours. That's when she's not on holiday (and she goes on holiday for 6 months of the year).

My dad visits about once a fortnight and stays about 3-4 hours.
Hi,

My Mum is my best friend, honestly. I spend as much time with her as I can - although in the run up to exams, that's getting less and less. We go out for meals together when my Dad's working late, shopping at the weekends and we're going on a spa day next Monday. So yeah, I hang out a lot with my Mum. Call me weird!

My Dad less so much because he works 12 hour shifts, 5 days a week. He's great fun to be around though. :smile:
Im at uni, so i spend about a week at home every 3-4 months

I'm a girl and I'm close to my mum... but so is my brother. I think we're just generally a very close-knit family- my brother and I in particular are very close.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending