The Student Room Group

degree classification for pharmacy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Caponester
Never heard of such a thing! I suppose we only have the one big teaching hospital in Aberdeen and we're there reasonably often anyway so no need to show us around perhaps? We were down in Edinburgh not too long ago and I heard students were given a talk about job opportunities in the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh... I can't comment, sacked the talk and tour off to go for pints instead.

If you're going to be in the hospital environment I suggest you wear what you would wear if you were working. Just a dress or something to that effect? Don't go casual whatever you do. Smart casual is slightly more acceptable but still not preferable.

Where did you work in England if you don't mind me asking?

Maybe. It's not organised by the uni though and it's optional so anyone at RGU that wanted to come to Glasgow for pre-reg would be able to go as well. I'm not sure if other trusts are running them, haven't heard anything.

That's what I was thinking, thanks. I'd rather turn up smart and feel like an idiot if everyone's more casual than me than feel unprofessional in comparison.

It was just a branch of Rowlands near Liverpool. Should probably have applied for hospital placements down in England for this summer but I've got a Boots place and I wasn't sure if I even wanted to do hospital. It seemed so much hassle. Regretting it a bit now though.
Original post by New...Romantic
Maybe. It's not organised by the uni though and it's optional so anyone at RGU that wanted to come to Glasgow for pre-reg would be able to go as well. I'm not sure if other trusts are running them, haven't heard anything.

That's what I was thinking, thanks. I'd rather turn up smart and feel like an idiot if everyone's more casual than me than feel unprofessional in comparison.

It was just a branch of Rowlands near Liverpool. Should probably have applied for hospital placements down in England for this summer but I've got a Boots place and I wasn't sure if I even wanted to do hospital. It seemed so much hassle. Regretting it a bit now though.

I see. These type of things are notoriously underadvertised in Aberdeen. Read into that what you will.

Good choice. If you're going to be going on a tour of the pharmacy department or walking around the hospital itself, smart clothes are the right move. I imagine you might receive some form of lecture also. Lecture halls are typically located quite far away from the pharmacy department and perhaps this is just me, but i'd feel a bit awkward being seen in the hospital environment, walking to the lecture hall, wearing jeans and a t-shirt!

Oh, ok. Did you have family down there or something to that effect? Seems like quite a distance to go if you didn't. Yes, I know a few people in your position and indeed, a few people in my year with regrets regarding not applying for hospital placements. Don't worry though! I'll PM you with specific details of some very interesting NES decisions regarding the provision of hospital pre-reg places :wink:

Congratulations with Boots by the way. Did a placement with them between 2nd and 3rd year and the study package there is very good. Community pharmacy just wasn't for me though.
Original post by firestar101
Really. I would have thought that RGU pharmacy students were far more likely to get the majority of places on pre-reg in Scotland. They are better. :wink:

How much would those graduating in 2014 get paid for their pre-reg? Do you know the exact figure?

Also, I am likely to be going into first year for pharmacy at RGU. So, is 40 percent all you need to pass a module. Also, I remember you telling me that only 4th year counts towards your degree classification. I think that particular system is terrible. I would prefer what they do at my friend's university(queen Mary university). He did a masters in pharmaceutical science and his first year was nothing towards his classification, his second year is 20 percent, third year is 30 percent and 4th year is 50 percent. I would much rather prefer that at RGU. It motivated people to work from the start.

Would it be possible to raise the degree classification issue with the RGU pharmacy course moderator and to maybe change it from only counting 4th year to maybe other years. If I go in September, I certainly would want to speak to someone about it, as my friends system at his uni is much better.

wow that's freaky. Can I ask who your friend is?? I'm currently a first year RGU pharmacy student who completed the same degree (pharmaceutical chemistry) at Queen Mary, University of London. You've mistaken how each year is weighted, its 10%,20%,30%,40% ranging through the years; first year does count. You were not even allowed into the masters year if your average wasn't >55% to protect the university's status (When i joined it was ranked 80th in the world, god know what the rank is now though). I agree with your point , it does benefit students if all the years count to the degree classification and this can be observed within our students; most undergrads here scrape through the years, partying, putting in the least effort required as only the final year actually effects your degree classification; This shows in the subsequent years (I've listened to 4th years in the computer labs ask the STUPIDEST questions, i've even listened lecturers complain about 3rd/4th years who struggle recall anything taught in the first year when quizzed about it).

I do actually plan to raise this with the course modulator as implementing a weighting system will yield numerous benefits for the university.

anywhos of to work :biggrin:
Reply 23
Original post by pharmasaurus
wow that's freaky. Can I ask who your friend is?? I'm currently a first year RGU pharmacy student who completed the same degree (pharmaceutical chemistry) at Queen Mary, University of London. You've mistaken how each year is weighted, its 10%,20%,30%,40% ranging through the years; first year does count. You were not even allowed into the masters year if your average wasn't >55% to protect the university's status (When i joined it was ranked 80th in the world, god know what the rank is now though). I agree with your point , it does benefit students if all the years count to the degree classification and this can be observed within our students; most undergrads here scrape through the years, partying, putting in the least effort required as only the final year actually effects your degree classification; This shows in the subsequent years (I've listened to 4th years in the computer labs ask the STUPIDEST questions, i've even listened lecturers complain about 3rd/4th years who struggle recall anything taught in the first year when quizzed about it).

I do actually plan to raise this with the course modulator as implementing a weighting system will yield numerous benefits for the university.

anywhos of to work :biggrin:

I really hope that you do raise this issue with the course modulator. I have met people like that as well in my first degree(Medicinal Chemistry), where they did hardly any work in the first three years, and in the 4th year they work hard. I just think that is stupid. What if someone works hard during the 3 years of the course, and in the final year they fall ill or have a family problem, then it would be really unfair on them.

There should be a better system whereby all years count towards your degree classification, as that encourages you to work from the START.

I actually met my friend in the Glaxosmithkline 1 week training course. He told me he went to Queen Mary University and he was studying Pharmaceutical chemistry. You might know him from your class. His name was Bhavin dalal. He got a first class honours degree and he is now in first year of a pharmacy degree at King's college London.

So, why did you decide to do pharmacy at RGU as a second degree. I am guessing it is partly to do with the fees, as they are only 1,820 pounds per year in Scotland. Is that how much you pay?

And, they are about 10,000 pounds per year for second degree holders in england, because of the elq rule.

About the percentage range in queen Mary university, I knew it was something like that, but I could not remember. But, I actually like your system(queen Mary) much better.

I really hope you do raise this issue, as it is an important one. I will probably do it myself when I come to RGU this year. :smile:

How are you finding first year? Is there a lot of work and do you get a lot of help given to you in labs, etc.
Reply 24
Original post by New...Romantic
Oh no definitely, there are some people that seem to get everything wrong in labs etc and you wonder how they manage to pass exams. But then I've worked with locums and wondered how they manage to get work.

I'm quite gutted I didn't get an interview, I wasn't really expecting to get a placement because I was up against people that had experience and were good candidates but the interview experience would have been really useful. I've never had a formal face-to-face interview so the NES one's going to be nerve-wracking. But there were 160 applicants for 30 places so I'll just have to do better in future.

Yeah, NHS Lanarkshire are having open days in Hairmyres, Wishaw and Monklands next week. Is this not somethin that normally runs? I'm not sure exactly what it'll be, I think a tour of the department, meet some of the staff and hear about pre-reg opportunities. Not sure what to wear, do you think I should dress like for an interview just to be safe?

Strathclyde are switching to 25% from level 4 classes and 75% from level 5. Not sure when they're changing but it might be from this year's intake.

really, where did you hear that. It would be better if the CMA counts from second year onward...because i done much better in year 1 and 2 than now.
I really hope that you do raise this issue with the course modulator. I have met people like that as well in my first degree(Medicinal Chemistry), where they did hardly any work in the first three years, and in the 4th year they work hard. I just think that is stupid. What if someone works hard during the 3 years of the course, and in the final year they fall ill or have a family problem, then it would be really unfair on them.

There should be a better system whereby all years count towards your degree classification, as that encourages you to work from the START.

I actually met my friend in the Glaxosmithkline 1 week training course. He told me he went to Queen Mary University and he was studying Pharmaceutical chemistry. You might know him from your class. His name was Bhavin dalal. He got a first class honours degree and he is now in first year of a pharmacy degree at King's college London.

So, why did you decide to do pharmacy at RGU as a second degree. I am guessing it is partly to do with the fees, as they are only 1,820 pounds per year in Scotland. Is that how much you pay?

And, they are about 10,000 pounds per year for second degree holders in england, because of the elq rule.

About the percentage range in queen Mary university, I knew it was something like that, but I could not remember. But, I actually like your system(queen Mary) much better.

I really hope you do raise this issue, as it is an important one. I will probably do it myself when I come to RGU this year. :smile:

How are you finding first year? Is there a lot of work and do you get a lot of help given to you in labs, etc.

Yer i know bharv, we spent the last 4 years in the same classes. I chose RGU for exactly that reason;to evade the ELQ fees. I was put on the waiting list for Kings college so i firmed RGU and i havent looked back. Even though its not as prestigious as Kings college london (dont know if my ego will ever forgive me) the pharmacy course itself is brilliant; the lectures are interesting and informative, they're very supportive and pharmacy students are treated as royalty at RGU ^_^. The rest of the uni is truly awful however, fashion management? are you serious RGU??

The weighted system implemented at English universities doesn't put the student at an advantage e.g if they were to achieve 100% each year in the preliminary years, just passing the final year modules woudn't result in a first class degree. I believe the rule was the final year average had to be within 10% of the first class grade boundary for them to achieve that classification, therefore they would need at least a 60% average.

in hindsight I'm probably better off with how the current system is; i dont receive any financial aid so i have to work 20+ hours a week to be there (its exhausting considering sometimes you have 7 hours of lectures a day, on average you will at least have 4 usually consecutively) so in my final year i can live off what i've saved and focus really hard to get a distinction.

overall i would highly recommend the university; academically its great, socially not so much.
pharmacy students are treated as royalty at RGU ^_^. The rest of the uni is truly awful however, fashion management? are you serious RGU??

overall i would highly recommend the university; academically its great, socially not so much.

that's what I felt when I went to the open day! It seems pretty awesome. :biggrin: when you flick through the prospectus Pharmacy's like the only course that require AABB :tongue:. (and I heard a rumour they're making it higher, do you know more of this?). And when I saw fashion management I was thinking.. Oh dear... And then I saw PAINTING and so I shut the book :tongue:

How come it's not good socially?
Reply 27
Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
that's what I felt when I went to the open day! It seems pretty awesome. :biggrin: when you flick through the prospectus Pharmacy's like the only course that require AABB :tongue:. (and I heard a rumour they're making it higher, do you know more of this?). And when I saw fashion management I was thinking.. Oh dear... And then I saw PAINTING and so I shut the book :tongue:

How come it's not good socially?

I think it is likely they will make it higher. I am sure you are aware that this year there were 700 applicants this year and so they had to turn away some people. Not enough places.

They did the same thing for optometry at Glasgow Caledonian for optometry. I think a year or two ago, the entry requirements were 5 B's at higher, now they are three A's and 2 B's. Almost close to medicine which is 5A's.
I think it is likely they will make it higher. I am sure you are aware that this year there were 700 applicants this year and so they had to turn away some people. Not enough places.

They did the same thing for optometry at Glasgow Caledonian for optometry. I think a year or two ago, the entry requirements were 5 B's at higher, now they are three A's and 2 B's. Almost close to medicine which is 5A's.

Yes. I think I was the one who told you that :smile:

And yes I remember Optometry's rapid entry boost. I doubt RGU will put them up that steep so soon, but it won't surprise menif they make it AAAB or something like AABBB/ABBBB/BBBBB. It shall be interesting
Reply 29
Yer i know bharv, we spent the last 4 years in the same classes. I chose RGU for exactly that reason;to evade the ELQ fees. I was put on the waiting list for Kings college so i firmed RGU and i havent looked back. Even though its not as prestigious as Kings college london (dont know if my ego will ever forgive me) the pharmacy course itself is brilliant; the lectures are interesting and informative, they're very supportive and pharmacy students are treated as royalty at RGU ^_^. The rest of the uni is truly awful however, fashion management? are you serious RGU??

The weighted system implemented at English universities doesn't put the student at an advantage e.g if they were to achieve 100% each year in the preliminary years, just passing the final year modules woudn't result in a first class degree. I believe the rule was the final year average had to be within 10% of the first class grade boundary for them to achieve that classification, therefore they would need at least a 60% average.

in hindsight I'm probably better off with how the current system is; i dont receive any financial aid so i have to work 20+ hours a week to be there (its exhausting considering sometimes you have 7 hours of lectures a day, on average you will at least have 4 usually consecutively) so in my final year i can live off what i've saved and focus really hard to get a distinction.

Oh, cool. Yeah, bhavin was a good guy. I do not speak to him that much anymore. Seems to be busy all the time.

What were the fees like for king's college london if you are doing pharmacy as a second degree. I heard they charge you around 10,000 pounds or above(the same as international students). I have no idea how you or anyone else would be able to afford that.

Also, how do you pay for your accomodation and living expenses. I plan on getting a 6000 pound student loan. That should be enough. And, the 1820 pound tuition fees, I will probably work for that.

Where do you work anyway? I will probably have to get a job in aberdeen also. Was it fairly easy to find a job there.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ama2007
really, where did you hear that. It would be better if the CMA counts from second year onward...because i done much better in year 1 and 2 than now.

About it changing to just level 4 and 5 classes that count? It's in the handbook. I had another look and apparently that's the way they're doing it for anyone who started in 2009 or 2010, so from this year's second years.

I did a wee bit better in first and second year but not a huge amount. I've only got results for three 3rd year exams though so I suppose I can't really say yet. Does PP3 count towards your CMA? The handbook says it does but I thought there were people that were still resitting that in 4th year and even after?
Oh, cool. Yeah, bhavin was a good guy. I do not speak to him that much anymore. Seems to be busy all the time.

What were the fees like for king's college london if you are doing pharmacy as a second degree. I heard they charge you around 10,000 pounds or above(the same as international students). I have no idea how you or anyone else would be able to afford that.

Also, how do you pay for your accomodation and living expenses. I plan on getting a 6000 pound student loan. That should be enough. And, the 1820 pound tuition fees, I will probably work for that.

Where do you work anyway? I will probably have to get a job in aberdeen also. Was it fairly easy to find a job there.

i think they were £5000 just for this year but bharv was telling me they tried charging him £7000 half way through the year.

how do you get a student loan for a second degree?? thought it was allowed. its fairly easy to get a job providing you look early enough.

and to asnwer daniel's question, if you're not into drinking, there's not much else to do up here.
Reply 32
i think they were £5000 just for this year but bharv was telling me they tried charging him £7000 half way through the year.

how do you get a student loan for a second degree?? thought it was allowed. its fairly easy to get a job providing you look early enough.

and to asnwer daniel's question, if you're not into drinking, there's not much else to do up here.

5000 pounds is still better in comparison to what international students pay.

I am allowed to get a student loan, because I am scottish and saas will give a maximum of 6000 pounds, depending on household income. My household income is quite low, so I would get the full amount.

Also, you can get a loan regardless of if you have done a previous degree from saas.

I do not drink, so I guess I will keep myself busy somehow. I will join a gaming society and play video games. I enjoy that.

Do you not get a loan or do you have to pay all of the fees and accomodation by yourself.
5000 pounds is still better in comparison to what international students pay.

I am allowed to get a student loan, because I am scottish and saas will give a maximum of 6000 pounds, depending on household income. My household income is quite low, so I would get the full amount.

Also, you can get a loan regardless of if you have done a previous degree from saas.

I do not drink, so I guess I will keep myself busy somehow. I will join a gaming society and play video games. I enjoy that.

Do you not get a loan or do you have to pay all of the fees and accomodation by yourself.

i pay for everythin myself, well my parents. i'm working all of summer which is another £6000 and living with my girlfriend next year, sharing a room so money shoudnt be that much of an issue. i actually prefer it this way so i dont rack up any more student debt.
Reply 34
i pay for everythin myself, well my parents. i'm working all of summer which is another £6000 and living with my girlfriend next year, sharing a room so money shoudnt be that much of an issue. i actually prefer it this way so i dont rack up any more student debt.

Cool, I don't actually have any student debt at the moment, but probably will do when I start pharmacy at RGU.

However, I do plan on working part-time throughout the course to minimise my debt.

What type of part-time work do you do and do you manage to fit your work schedule with your studies.
to be honest i wouldn't recommend it, you're just to busy with studies. bar work or working in supermarkets is popular though
Reply 36
to be honest i wouldn't recommend it, you're just to busy with studies. bar work or working in supermarkets is popular though

Yeah, I will just get a weekend job or maybe work nights in a supermarket for 1-2 nights.

I will probably need the money, as I will get no moneyt from parents.
Yeah, I will just get a weekend job or maybe work nights in a supermarket for 1-2 nights.

I will probably need the money, as I will get no moneyt from parents.

We could sell off the drugs we make in the labs to the people of Aberdeen :teeth:
Reply 38
Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
We could sell off the drugs we make in the labs to the people of Aberdeen :teeth:

Yeah, we should make some drugs and sell them. It would be easier in glasgow though, more drug addicts. Lol. :colone:
Reply 39
Grr kinda wish I was going RGU as everyone seems to be going there :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending