The Student Room Group

how do people get an A in chemistry a.s

i put my soul and effort into it i averaged like 30 mins a day of studying chemistry only and i ended up with u and proper understood everything. im just so gob smacked because i passed all the other subjects WITh hardly EVEN REVISING! i only did like abit of revision not even a fifth of what i did for chemistry
and for ict i ony revised last 2 days and last 2 days only and got 3rd highest in the class
please guys if you could help me with some techniques you use
because i dont think ideserve what i got lol
Did you get the paper remarked?

Could be bad exam technique?

Bad day on the day of the exam?

I feel a bit guilty saying this but I did no revision at all and got an A :s-smilie:
Reply 2
I'd query whether you did understand everything if you came out with a U.

When I did chemistry I used the revision guides, past papers and mark schemes - the exam questions are quite predictable and the mark schemes on the exam board's website tells you exactly what will get you the marks.
Reply 3
Original post by ketchup
i put my soul and effort into it i averaged like 30 mins a day of studying chemistry only and i ended up with u and proper understood everything.

LOL.
Reply 4
Past papers and mark schemes are good.
Did you do enough past paper questions? A lot of A level Chemistry is developing the knack for exams and if you do enough practice, you'll become familiar with the question style and be able to answer more confidently.
A good suggestion would be to take a question such as 'describe the bonding in x' or 'write the reaction mechanism for x' and apply them to lots of different compounds.
Reply 6
Original post by ketchup
i put my soul and effort into it i averaged like 30 mins a day of studying chemistry only and i ended up with u and proper understood everything. im just so gob smacked because i passed all the other subjects WITh hardly EVEN REVISING! i only did like abit of revision not even a fifth of what i did for chemistry
and for ict i ony revised last 2 days and last 2 days only and got 3rd highest in the class

By doing Chem A2. Seriously.
By the time I had done the A2 syllabus I understood all the AS stuff, and when I retook the modules I got all A's.
Just learning the past paper markschemes should be enough for a B grade at least. Top that off with a bit of sound knowledge and you'll get yourself an A.
Reply 8
Maybe because 30 minutes revision a day isn't enough?
Reply 9
yh i think that was the problem guys thanx i only did 2 past papers and one of them was a mock and i didnt even bother checkin it with the teacher lol
thanx people
Reply 10
Original post by ketchup

I studied for 8 hours a day MIN, gave up my life, always did my homework, made HUNDREDS of flash cards and posters, and got a B in A2.
Reply 11
Chem need more than 30mins a day. I spend about 2-3hours a day on it, 4-5 times a week and I still find it hard. You need to spend at least an hour a day on it and do loads and loads of practice papers (and check the anwsers).
Reply 12
Original post by why_
I studied for 8 hours a day MIN, gave up my life, always did my homework, made HUNDREDS of flash cards and posters, and got a B in A2.

inspiring
Reply 13
but how do you cope with the distraction people
Reply 14
Prioritize and know how much and what you're going to do each day.
Reply 15
30 minutes per day isn't that much, in all fairness.
Reply 16
Original post by ketchup
but how do you cope with the distraction people

what distraction?

Quick Reply

Latest