The Student Room Group

Intern dress code IB

Hi all,

Just looking for some basic advice really as I'm new to most of this.

What would be good choices for shirt colours/ tie colours for an intern? I was going to stick to the whites, pale blues, light pinks and maybe light yellows?

With a Dark Grey or Dark Blue suit btw.

Thanks for the help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Stay away from solid colors in your ties. No fancy designs (e.g. Hermes ties).
Reply 2
NM2
OP
Original post by WokSz
Stay away from solid colors in your ties. No fancy designs (e.g. Hermes ties).

Ok, and plain shirts or some with texture?

As for the tie, what about this kind -

http://store-uk.hugoboss.com/Patterned-silk-tie-%E2%80%98Tie-8-cm%E2%80%99/hbeu50198557,en_GB,pd.html?dwvar_hbeu50198557_color=449_Turquoise-Aqua&start=74&cgid=24600
Reply 3
Reply 4
Don't wear a tie if you're in S&T (except first day).
Reply 5
how many of these threads are there going to be.... dress so that you will blend in, nothing OTT - use your head.
Reply 6

I would use something with fewer designs. I quite like stripes on a plain white shirt. I recommend buying a few white shirts and some similar ties until you're able to gauge the dress code on your desk. Then blend in and buy what more senior people are wearing.
Reply 7
Dude no one really cares, the suits are fine and any combination of shirt/tie with in reasonable limits! Just pick a 4 for £90 deal from TM Lewin, should get you through the summers.
Reply 8
Original post by Uzi Rox
Dude no one really cares, the suits are fine and any combination of shirt/tie with in reasonable limits! Just pick a 4 for £90 deal from TM Lewin, should get you through the summers.

that's BS, unless you're in trading, people care about the way you're dressed.

stick to the basic: blue/dark grey suit, plain white / light blue shirts, no fancy ties (ferragamo, hermes, and the like)
Reply 9
Don't make the same mistake, the Big Swinging Dick's will throw their phone at you

Reply 10
Original post by Uzi Rox

They do, especially in client-facing divisions. Granted at the beginning you won't be meeting clients, but you are still required to look the part. Coming in with ties that don't match the culture or don't match full-stop, is bad. You want to get through your Banking stint without being labeled as the one who didn't know how to dress.
5 Light Blue Shirts/5 White shirts (No breast pocket).

2-3 suits. Navy, Charcoal or Black.

1-2 nice ties for client meetings leave them on the desk

2 pairs of shoes.
Reply 12
was wondering...shirts with cufflinks or without?
Reply 13
Original post by jewelz
was wondering...shirts with cufflinks or without?

With.
Reply 14
What is the significance of tie design? Why would solid colours or that hugo boss tie be inappropriate?
Reply 15
The UBS dress code document gives great advice... until they pulled it after the press backlash and public ridicule for its level of detail.
Reply 16
I was also wondering the same thing. What would be your opinion on the hijab? (Scarf that covers hair and neck, not face or anything else)
Original post by JCM89
The UBS dress code document gives great advice... until they pulled it after the press backlash and public ridicule for its level of detail.

Why is the grammar in that document completely ****ed?
Reply 18
It reads like it was written in a European language and run through google translate...weird
Original post by i_hate_teeth
Why is the grammar in that document completely ****ed?

Adjectives after the noun and the frequent use of "port" where the verb should be "to wear".
Looks to me like they translated it from French.

Quick Reply

Latest