The Student Room Group

For wellbeing: better to have hobbies outside of your career or make your career one?

Unfortunately I suffer from mild depression. I'm on medication but was also thinking about taking up a hobby to help counter the effects and improve wellbeing. I then thought how would I manage a hobby alongside a career/relationships? Surely, this would put more strain on me/make me more depressed if anything? It would strain the commitment on the the career/relationships aspects even.

So what is better to do: is it better to have hobbies outside of your career or make a career a hobby? Seeing as how my hobby is tennis, its hard how I can make it a career.
Make your career one, then it's not like working, it's basically being paid to have fun !
Reply 2
Original post by SkinFadeHaircut
Make your career one, then it's not like working, it's basically being paid to have fun !

How could I make a career in tennis without being a tennis player lol! I'm doing a maths degree!
Reply 3
You could train to be a coach? Or sports therapist?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Unfortunately I suffer from mild depression. I'm on medication but was also thinking about taking up a hobby to help counter the effects and improve wellbeing. I then thought how would I manage a hobby alongside a career/relationships? Surely, this would put more strain on me/make me more depressed if anything? It would strain the commitment on the the career/relationships aspects even.

So what is better to do: is it better to have hobbies outside of your career or make a career a hobby? Seeing as how my hobby is tennis, its hard how I can make it a career.

No. Exercise makes your body release endorphins which is a hormone that makes you happy.
Reply 5
So is everyone saying my hobby should be my career?
Reply 6
No its not a good idea to have your career as your hobby, i'm at drama school doing musical theatre and i was doing amatuer shows in my spare time and it just makes you hate your career.

if i was a secretary i woudnt do secretary-things in my spare time. i personaly dont think its healthy.

if you love tennis just do tennis as your hobby alongside your maths degree x
Original post by Anonymous
How could I make a career in tennis without being a tennis player lol! I'm doing a maths degree!

Stop doing your degree, start tennis. But in the real world that's unrealistic. So for now, just work and have your hobbies on the side :P
Reply 8
Use your maths degree to design a new hi-tech new tennis ball/racket?
Reply 9
Original post by jonski
Use your maths degree to design a new hi-tech new tennis ball/racket?

Now this is an amazing coicidence, since I've seen a post by you somethig similar about this which really got to me a while back (related to a book that was recomed). You discussed something about your career being your hobby but is this such a good idea, is it even practical really? I mean I'd love to design a new-high tech racket as part of the tennis hobby but is this really practical? I mean how many careers like these are there around and is it worth working towards if it relates vaguely to your hobby? I mean I enjoy playing and watching tennis but I have absolutely no interest in the mecahnics of a lot of it such as design, PR, advertising, etc...basically anything else that relates to the aspect of tennis apart from the two I've mentioned. I mean maybe I have some interest, but not something worth pursuing for a career.
Thanks for that. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending