The Student Room Group

Another Police Officer Killed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by bestofyou
I knew it wasn't the correct spelling, but I couldn't be bothered typing it into google to check the real spelling. As most of the people on here are English/Scottish most have probably never heard of maghaberry let alone know how you spell it. Do you actually care about spelling on an internet forum?

I was only joking. but I'm a bit OCD about spelling in general.
care to explain your neg?

All I did was answer your question, sorry it wasn't the answer you wanted to hear.

I didn't neg rep you.
Reply 62
These terrorists just constantly want the spotlight.
Reply 63
While the murder is a disgrace, the infrequency of the attacks shows how feeble these types really are.

Yes, they've got "lucky" this time but they'll likely bugger off under their rocks for another couple of years to scrounge enough resources, money and balls to have another go. They aren't capable of any sustained action because there aren't enough of them. Losers.
Reply 64
Original post by Aj12
So they want a unified Ireland?

No, they have little else to do with their lives and believe they have a cause.

A person murdered another person. That is all this is, and that's all it ever was. It's all a bit silly really.
Reply 65
I live in Omagh, and was in town when the bomb went off. I just don't know what to say, between being shocked and outraged, the entire community is just completely stunned by a pointless death. What good does killing a young, innocent man do for their cause?! Not one shred! And yet these scum walk our streets - murderers and terrorists. We do not want to go back to the days when people were being killed every week, when people lived in fear of not seeing fathers and mothers again when they left the house. It such a pointless cycle of evil and destruction, of despair. But the resolve of Northern Ireland's people has never been stronger to oppose these scummy bastards and fight for the peace which cost so much blood. Loyalist and Republican terrorists alike, the people of Northern Ireland say no. Omagh has had enough tragedy without being dragged back to this.
Reply 66
Original post by LALA LAND
As a catholic from northern ireland who has thought about joining the psni, and who comes from a staunch nationalist/republican area. I am now seriously thinking about changing my career aspects and joining the psni again. I seriously thought about it before, and was persuaded not to by my family and began a law course instead, with thoughts of possibly joining after. I decided to become a solicitor instead and successfully got a training contract as it was obvious due to the economic situation recruitment would stop, and my family weren't supportive.
What happened today makes me aspire to follow in Ronan's footsteps and do the little bit I can to help the situation at home! Its an utter disgrace what is going on, and I hope catholics in the force remain strong and brave and weather the storm! My respects and condolences go out to his family, and can't believe there are members of my community killing our own people in the name of a united ireland! They are disgracing my community and the efforts of those to make ireland a better place for all!

Serious shame for the person who negged this post!

I wish you all the best, and hope this goes well for you, at least this good has come from this sad death.
Reply 67
Original post by chrislpp
No, they have little else to do with their lives and believe they have a cause.

A person murdered another person. That is all this is, and that's all it ever was. It's all a bit silly really.

They want a unified Ireland. Telling him the aren't simply isn't true and you know it. If Ireland was unified then the CIRA wouldn't be active.

What you are saying does have some truth. As I said to the Ajita guy or what ever his name is. The dissidents have said they cannot achieve a united ireland in this climate. They are simply bombing and killing to show that NI isn't a normal society.

Unfortunatly, if there was a unified Ireland, I'm certain there would be UVF bombs planted in the cars of Garda. Which is quite sad, really shows that no matter what happens, this nation is plagued with violence.
Reply 68
Ok...Yes, they are technically nationalist. But then again so is every single person in NI.

What utter nonsense.

We don't call unionist nationalists though.

Not all unionists are British or NI nationalists. Some, I'll happily admit, are.
Reply 69
Original post by L i b
What utter nonsense.

Not all unionists are British or NI nationalists. Some, I'll happily admit, are.

In NI a unionist is someone who wants to keep NI part of the UK. Wanting to remain part of a country you identify youself with is nationalism.

What unionist isn't a british nationalist?
Reply 70
In NI a unionist is someone who wants to keep NI part of the UK. Wanting to remain part of a country you identify youself with is nationalism.

Oh, it's so much more complicated than that, unfortunately.

My thoughts go out to Ronan's family. I really wish we could just move past the senseless violence. It pains me that people think that violence will get us a united Ireland some day, it really won't. Nationalists don't want to fight anymore, we want to sort our problems out peacefully. Besides, let's face it, joining up with Ireland at this point in time would be financial suicide.

A sad time for Northern Ireland. Especially with the elections coming up.
Reply 71
Original post by technik
While the murder is a disgrace, the infrequency of the attacks shows how feeble these types really are.

Yes, they've got "lucky" this time but they'll likely bugger off under their rocks for another couple of years to scrounge enough resources, money and balls to have another go. They aren't capable of any sustained action because there aren't enough of them. Losers.

Trust me, they've been doing alot more between when they killed those two soliders and now. They just don't make the headlines over where you are.

But yes compared to the provos campaign, its uncoordinated, lacks support, finance, manpower and equipment. But well have heard of them again long before the years out I'm certain. Especially with the parading season approaching.
Reply 72
I'm Irish and am aware of the politics involed. But LIB is wrong.

Original post by Hylean
Oh, it's so much more complicated than that, unfortunately..

Yeah, but even with a united Ireland, this still going to be violence, UVF etc. Its a shame the whole republican movement had to split and the dissidents becoming a product of it.

Maybe one day it will end for good.

Original post by Hylean
My thoughts go out to Ronan's family. I really wish we could just move past the senseless violence. It pains me that people think that violence will get us a united Ireland some day, it really won't. Nationalists don't want to fight anymore, we want to sort our problems out peacefully. Besides, let's face it, joining up with Ireland at this point in time would be financial suicide.

A sad time for Northern Ireland. Especially with the elections coming up.
Reply 73

One doesn't have to be a nationalist just because they don't want to destroy their state. I am a Unionist, but I am no British nationalist. I believe in the unity of the UK expressly because it is a state which was created on the basis of rejecting nationalism. That said, I don't mind us expanding further: I am, for example, very much pro-EU. That doesn't make me a European nationalist either, incidentally - I'm don't even have a European identity.
Reply 74
Whilst it's sad that the officer was killed, let's take this moment to reflect on the wider problems of police brutality and oppression towards innocent citizens on a *daily* basis.
Reply 75
I'm Irish and am aware of the politics involed. But LIB is wrong.

Yeah, but even with a united Ireland, this still going to be violence, UVF etc. Its a shame the whole republican movement had to split and the dissidents becoming a product of it.

Maybe one day it will end for good.

Psh, being Irish or even Northern Irish doesn't mean you completely understand the politics involved. There are two types of unionist: Ulster Unionist and Ulster Loyalist, as you're well aware. What you might not be aware of, is that they have two completely different mentalities and even different reasons for fighting to keep NI part of the UK. Loyalists are certainly not British Nationalists, by any stretch of the imagination. Lib's not wrong. He actually has an exceptionally good understanding of the situation.

As for unification, it's true, it will cause problems, but it's always going to cause problems. The Nationalists and dissidents will never stop wanting a United Ireland and the Unionists and Loyalists will never stop wanting an NI as part of the UK. Our wee country's ****ed regardless.

Original post by L i b
One doesn't have to be a nationalist just because they don't want to destroy their state. I am a Unionist, but I am no British nationalist. I believe in the unity of the UK expressly because it is a state which was created on the basis of rejecting nationalism. That said, I don't mind us expanding further: I am, for example, very much pro-EU. That doesn't make me a European nationalist either, incidentally - I'm don't even have a European identity.

Hehe. Such as this post proves.

Original post by lesbionic
Whilst it's sad that the officer was killed, let's take this moment to reflect on the wider problems of police brutality and oppression towards innocent citizens on a *daily* basis.

Yes, you're right. We're sorry for caring about the ****ed up state our country's in. In order to earn your compassion, we shall forthwith send NI back in the depths of The Troubles.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by L i b

Ok, we had this conversation before and we went round in circles. I'm too tired and am sure you are too. But NI politics are not the same as politics in england. You cannot relate, so stop using yourself as an example. I'm guessing when you heard british nationalist you think BNP? Well thats not what I meant by British nationalist.
Reply 77
Ok, we had this conversation before and we went round in circles. I'm too tired and am sure you are too. But NI politics are not the same as politics in england. You cannot relate, so stop using yourself as an example. I'm guessing when you heard british nationalist you think BNP? Well thats not what I meant by British nationalist.

Stop judging Lib because he's from another part of the UK.
Reply 78
Original post by Hylean
Psh, being Irish or even Northern Irish doesn't mean you completely understand the politics involved.

I wasn't saying I'm Irish to make you fear my wrath of knowledge in the Politics field. You just seemed to open you first comment as if I was an outsider. I was only stating otherwise.
Reply 79
I wasn't saying I'm Irish to make you fear my wrath of knowledge in the Politics field. You just seemed to open you first comment as if I was an outsider. I was only stating otherwise.

You inferred that I thought you were an outsider. There's nothing in my statement which suggests I have any opinion on you being an insider or outsider. The fact you so easily suggest that Unionism/Loyalism can be simply equated to British Nationalism shows that you don't understand it all. Like I said, it's much more complicated than that, unfortunately

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending