The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

my lectures are 50 minutes long so its not really an issue. however if i really need to go, i usually carry a spare empty water bottle, nobody notices, everyones focused on the lecturer.
Reply 21
Original post by Elise713
Okay, so it's a bit of a stupid question but if you're in the middle of a lecture and you need the toilet, can you go? i can't imagine putting my hand up and asking, but then again i'd feel rude just walking out. So, from students at uni, what do you dooo? :colondollar:

also..how long are lectures normally? :redface: :tongue:

Wear adult nappies.

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
Okay, so it's a bit of a stupid question but if you're in the middle of a lecture and you need the toilet, can you go? i can't imagine putting my hand up and asking, but then again i'd feel rude just walking out. So, from students at uni, what do you dooo? :colondollar:

my lecture is 1 hour long with a small break followed by a movie viewing usually 2 hours long, if you need a loo in our lecture, either be brave and go regardless or hold it in
At the start of term I've had the occasional lecturer tell us to just leave when we have to as long as we're not disruptive. A lot of lectures will only be 1-2 hours long though, it shouldn't be a massive problem. Certainly the only times I've seen people walk out for a minute is when they're blatantly taking a phone call =P
Reply 24
Just tell em your going to do a ****. They will understand. It's natural.
asking to go to the toilet xD

Just go, not right there but go
Reply 26
ok just to clarify i don't have any weird medical issues, or even think i've have a problem 'controlling myself' hahah i was just wondering for all the people going to uni this year! :smile: thanks for the answers
Reply 27
Aha you can just go.
I have 2 hour lectures but most of the time we get a break half way through for the toilet so most people go then.
Sometimes people leave with their bags etc half way through a lecture and don't come back so going to the toilet will be fine (:
My lectures are 3 hours long, so we generally get a break of 15-30 minutes (depending on the lecturer) to go to the toilet, get a snack etc.

Loads of people do just randomly leave, though it's more polite to the lecturer to say "Just popping to the loo..."
Reply 29
actually...

if you are scared, give yourself no option but to go.

a few bars of laxative chocolate throughout the lecture should make your confidence flow more easily
Just go :pierre:
Reply 31
Shout at the top of your voice "OI MATE, GOING LOO BE BACK IN A BIT". Lecturer should be alright with that.
Reply 32
It worries me you have to ask haha.
Reply 33

In my school, we generally just say 'brb, lol' on the way out. Occasionally with those exact words.

_Kar.
Reply 34
I'm worried about this too. I'm one of those people who, if you know you can't go, I suddenly need to more. I'm fine waiting 4/5 hours without a toilet break at work or at home, but if I was stuck in a coach or bus for more than an hour I'd be awful.

If it's a really big lecture hall, and you're right at the top, how do you walk out without people noticing? I always thought you had to ask! How can you say 'just popping to the loo' discreetly, with only the lecturer noticing?
Reply 35
you just don't say anything. People aren't going to think anything of it, really.
Original post by uer23
The seats in our lecture hall take the piss, if you need to go to the toilet and you happen to be sitting in the middle of a row, 1/2 the row would have to stand up to make room for you. It might be really disruptive for some.

:teehee:

OP, I would say just step out :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by qwerty7
I'm worried about this too. I'm one of those people who, if you know you can't go, I suddenly need to more. I'm fine waiting 4/5 hours without a toilet break at work or at home, but if I was stuck in a coach or bus for more than an hour I'd be awful.

If it's a really big lecture hall, and you're right at the top, how do you walk out without people noticing? I always thought you had to ask! How can you say 'just popping to the loo' discreetly, with only the lecturer noticing?

that's exactly how i am, at home i never go but as soon as it like "right, you can't go for the next hour" first thing i think of is omg i have to gooo hahahah
Some lectures you have will be huge seminars with row after row of people, in these cases do try to sit near the end of a row so you can nip out fairly un-noticed.

Other lectures will be smaller and in classroom style where you can just breeze around freely.

I regularly leave a lecture for a cig break or wee break or phonecall or coffee or shot of tequila. If it's a small group just excuse yourself and say you'll be back in a minute. If it's a big hall and the speaker is in full swing, don't interrupt them just quietly leave.

Remember you are paying their wages and paying for your education, as long as you don't break any rules you can do what you like, you are an adult.
that's exactly how i am, at home i never go but as soon as it like "right, you can't go for the next hour" first thing i think of is omg i have to gooo hahahah

Haha, I'm the same too! As soon as I think I can't go, I need to! :tongue:

Although when I feel like that I find that concentrating on the lecture and taking notes helps get my mind off it.

Latest

Trending

Trending