The Student Room Group

Would you find someone who speaks 16 languages attractive or a geek?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Josh_Dey

Original post by Cicerao
Gutted to hear that as an English person, I am yet to become fluent in English. :awesome:

What other languages do you speak besides English?
Reply 182
Original post by Nerd_No_More
What other languages do you speak besides English?

Why are you asking me this question? :ninja:

I speak English and German. I did French AS but I'm not sure I'd say I speak it. I study Italian at the university and Portuguese in my free time, but LOL I definitely don't speak those.
Original post by Cicerao
Why are you asking me this question? :ninja:

I speak English and German. I did French AS but I'm not sure I'd say I speak it. I study Italian at the university and Portuguese in my free time, but LOL I definitely don't speak those.

I'm asking you because you said you weren't fluent in English so I wondered what you speak? So you're a polyglot then, or at least on your way. 5 languages is impressive, not as impressive as the OP's goal of 16 though mind you.
Reply 184
I'm asking you because you said you weren't fluent in English so I wondered what you speak? So you're a polyglot then, or at least on your way. 5 languages is impressive, not as impressive as the OP's goal of 16 though mind you.

Oh, I was just kidding, 'cause the girl said that you are only native if you read and appreciate fancy literature. I don't really dig literature, so apparently I'm not fluent in my native language, heh...

I'm definitely not a polyglot at all! I'm fluent in one language and proficient in another. That's about it! I'd be happy to become a trilingual some day. I used to want lots of languages, but I think now that depth of language is much better. :smile:
Original post by Cicerao
Oh, I was just kidding, 'cause the girl said that you are only native if you read and appreciate fancy literature. I don't really dig literature, so apparently I'm not fluent in my native language, heh...

I'm definitely not a polyglot at all! I'm fluent in one language and proficient in another. That's about it! I'd be happy to become a trilingual some day. I used to want lots of languages, but I think now that depth of language is much better. :smile:

Oh ok I get it :-)

And I think a true polyglot could achieve depth in many languages BUT the downside is they would have no life outside of languages, I've read about polyglots having to work 12 to 16 hours a day to maintain a high standard in all their languages. So it probably could be done but there's a price to pay. OP probably has no life. Polyglots probably don't get laid a lot or have a day job, but I dunno.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 186
Oh ok I get it :-)

And I think a true polyglot could achieve depth in many languages BUT the downside is they would have no life outside of languages, I've read about polyglots having to work 12 to 16 hours a day to maintain a high standard in all their languages. So it probably could be done but there's a price to pay. OP probably has no life. Polyglots probably don't get laid a lot or have a day job, but I dunno.

Haha, yeah. Must be a lot of work. I dread to think how messed up your mind would be after the first 8 or so, though. I mean, even my native language sounds a bit funny when I spend lots of time with my (non-native) boyfriend. I'll start saying things like "phone credits" instead of "phone credit", picking up some little mistakes he makes or having a different or unusual word order in saying some things. So imagine if you've got 16 languages all battling for your attention...shiiit! :X
Reply 187
Language is an interesting thing, amazing how quickly you can pick it up (or lose it). One of my friends managed to speak English fluently within 1 year, but he also told me that after 3 years of living in England, he found it difficult to even think of some Urdu words.

I remember a few years back I made a list of about 13 languages I'd like to learn before I die, was a bit of a clownish thing to do. I'm aiming to become fluent in two more and I'll be happy. I'd be very curious and interested if anyone claimed to speak 6+ fluently
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 188
I'd love it if a girl spoke 16 languages. Imagine the screams in bed every night? The neighbours would think I'm an international playboy!
15 would be stupidly attractive, 16's a bit geeky though..
Reply 190
Original post by n1r4v
I'd be very curious and interested if anyone claimed to speak 6+ fluently

Perhaps a person from Luxembourg who is interested in languages might be a good place to start. They all do schooling in Luxembourgish, French and German and are required to be proficient in all three to graduate from school. They also learn English in their compulsory schooling. Apparently there are areas where Portuguese is spoken as well. Gosh, sounds like a blast. :smile:
I'd find it attractive, but I'd ask him to prove it.
Reply 192
Original post by Cicerao
Perhaps a person from Luxembourg who is interested in languages might be a good place to start. They all do schooling in Luxembourgish, French and German and are required to be proficient in all three to graduate from school. They also learn English in their compulsory schooling. Apparently there are areas where Portuguese is spoken as well. Gosh, sounds like a blast. :smile:

Luxembourgish :o:

It's amazing how it's necessary for other countries to become proficient in two or more languages, it's almost as if the English are arrogant in that it's not compulsory to do another language. Makes me want to become fluent in other languages even more.
Reply 193
Original post by n1r4v
Luxembourgish :o:

It's amazing how it's necessary for other countries to become proficient in two or more languages, it's almost as if the English are arrogant in that it's not compulsory to do another language. Makes me want to become fluent in other languages even more.

Although some English-speaking people are arrogant just as with any other language, that's not the reason lots learn English.

Imagine there's a small country called Bob with a population of about 100,000. This country trades with the UK, France, Germany, Russia, Slovakia and Croatia. Would you expect all the Bobbish people to learn English, French, German, Russian, Slovakian and Croatian, and for English, French, German, Russian, Slovakian and Croatian people all to learn Bobbish in return, just so they can do trade? It's much, much easier for there to be just one common language that they all know. Nowadays it just happens to be English, but it hasn't always been.

This is why people invented languages like Esperanto, so there could be a worldwide common language that didn't give superiority to any one natural language. There are some speakers but it obviously hasn't really taken off as intended.

Well, that was some ramble.
Reply 194
Original post by Cicerao
Although some English-speaking people are arrogant just as with any other language, that's not the reason lots learn English.

Imagine there's a small country called Bob with a population of about 100,000. This country trades with the UK, France, Germany, Russia, Slovakia and Croatia. Would you expect all the Bobbish people to learn English, French, German, Russian, Slovakian and Croatian, and for English, French, German, Russian, Slovakian and Croatian people all to learn Bobbish in return, just so they can do trade? It's much, much easier for there to be just one common language that they all know. Nowadays it just happens to be English, but it hasn't always been.

This is why people invented languages like Esperanto, so there could be a worldwide common language that didn't give superiority to any one natural language. There are some speakers but it obviously hasn't really taken off as intended.

Well, that was some ramble.

I wasn't implying that it's not compulsory to learn other languages because we're arrogant :p:. (Though we are secretly). Do you know when and why English started to become the "common language"? I know it used to be French, I find it very interesting how "shifts" like this happen in history :holmes:
GEEK!!! why would anyone bother to learn 16 languages!!!! It seems a bit pointless!!!!
I'd be impressed for about 2 and a half seconds. Then it would slowly fade.
Neither.

How many languages someone speaks doesn't have much of an impact (if any) on how much I like them, and no more so than other qualities, talents etc they possess.

If they could sing beautifully in all the languages however.... :love:
Reply 198
Original post by n1r4v
I wasn't implying that it's not compulsory to learn other languages because we're arrogant :p:. (Though we are secretly). Do you know when and why English started to become the "common language"? I know it used to be French, I find it very interesting how "shifts" like this happen in history :holmes:

I'm not sure, but our habit of colonising the **** out of places probably helped. :P
Original post by immagetmywings
GEEK!!! why would anyone bother to learn 16 languages!!!! It seems a bit pointless!!!!

No its not pointless!!! It opens up so many possibilities to be able to speak many languages. It's DEFINITELY an attractive trait! I don't get how anyone could think it's not.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending