The Student Room Group

The Hijab and Investment Banking?

I'm a little (okay alot) concerned that wearing the hijab (Note; this only covers the hair and neck, not the face or any other parts of the body) might hinder my chances of getting into a BB investment bank in the future as dress in that field is very conservative and limited to certain styles. I know that, yes, I shouldn't go into a company that won't accept me for who I am or who discriminates, but it's hard trying to get a job in the state that we're currently in, and IB (investment banking) is a tough field to get into either way; I'll be competing with very high caliber people. Someone said to me that I should tough it out and be the best I can be, but I've seen lot's of females wearing the headscarf who are more than qualified for the jobs and who have been repeatedly rejected, regardless of whether or not they got a first in maths/economics, and if they did get accepted there was no progress up in the ranks. I really don't want to take a chance because the odds have been stacked against me most of my life...I'm not being self-deprecating, it's just that I don't want to 'take a chance' on my career. Any advice would be appreciated.
Should I not wear it at first, and then as I establish myself within the company after a while (maybe a year or two), go back to wearing a scarf? There are many muslims but they're mostly male and so their religion is not plainly worn on their heads. Honest opinions please, no false hopes.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What's the point in wearing a Hijab if everyone's going to see your hair before anyway?

You're basically saying, "should I prioritise my career and achievement in this life over what I'm going to get in the after life for following the rules of my religion?"

Just shows how dedicated you are to your religion tbh.
OP, be honest...would you hire this woman?

Reply 3
Excuse my ignorance of islam, but if you are so concerned about how it will affect your career, why bother wearing it? I know its a tradition and part of the culture, but speaking as an atheist I imagine come final judgement a god would be more concerned with your actions and how you lived your life rather than whether you wore some thin fabric over your hair and neck or not...
Reply 4
lol i'm guessing you're a troll but neway IB is haram
Reply 5
You do know you can't do Investment banking as a Muslim?
Reply 6
If you really want the career it's probably best to remove the scarf as it is a clear demonstration of faith (not saying that's a bad thing) but I don't think it's typically valued by the majority of employers. You must decide how badly you want to do investment banking and see if the company you apply to has any information about the dress code they expect, some may not mind. If you did remove it and get a job you might want to ask your employer what the company's stance might be if you began wearing it again.
Reply 7
Original post by CGFPS
I'm a little (okay alot) concerned that wearing the hijab (Note; this only covers the hair and neck, not the face or any other parts of the body) might hinder my chances of getting into a BB investment bank in the future as dress in that field is very conservative and limited to certain styles. I know that, yes, I shouldn't go into a company that won't accept me for who I am or who discriminates, but it's hard trying to get a job in the state that we're currently in, and IB (investment banking) is a tough field to get into either way; I'll be competing with very high caliber people. Someone said to me that I should tough it out and be the best I can be, but I've seen lot's of females wearing the headscarf who are more than qualified for the jobs and who have been repeatedly rejected, regardless of whether or not they got a first in maths/economics, and if they did get accepted there was no progress up in the ranks. I really don't want to take a chance because the odds have been stacked against me most of my life...I'm not being self-deprecating, it's just that I don't want to 'take a chance' on my career. Any advice would be appreciated.
Should I not wear it at first, and then as I establish myself within the company after a while (maybe a year or two), go back to wearing a scarf? There are many muslims but they're mostly male and so their religion is not plainly worn on their heads. Honest opinions please, no false hopes.

Just take it off, we won't bite.
Reply 8
Original post by loling909
You do know you can't do Investment banking as a Muslim?

There are certain areas/divisions within IB that don't deal directly with riba.
please excuse my ignorance of islam, but I don't understand why an inner spiritual thing like religion has to come with outward physical restrictions.
I wonder what's worse for a muslim: not being a ninja or working for an investment bank and stealing money from the poor
Original post by Dan1903
Excuse my ignorance of islam, but if you are so concerned about how it will affect your career, why bother wearing it? I know its a tradition and part of the culture, but speaking as an atheist I imagine come final judgement a god would be more concerned with your actions and how you lived your life rather than whether you wore some thin fabric over your hair and neck or not...

You're second point is quite true, but most of you people are focusing on the wrong point. You shouldn't ever have to change the way you look, if that’s what you feel comfortable in, just because someone will discriminate on that ground. This whole hijab thing is blown way out of proportion.

To end - Go for it, be yourself, and bigots will always be bigots; let them be.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by prospectivEEconomist
I wonder what's worse for a muslim: not being a ninja or working for an investment bank and stealing money from the poor

I wonder what’s worse; not being able to punctuate, or not making any sense.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by searchingshadow
You're second point is quite true, but most of you people are focusing on the wrong point. You shouldn't ever have to change the way you look, if that’s what you feel comfortable in, just because someone will discriminate on that ground. This whole hijab thing is blown way out of proportion.

To end - Go for it, be yourself, and bigots will always be bigots; let them be.

Good point. I'll be going to my next interview in a pink floyd tie dye T'shirt then. Thanks for your advice.
Officially, it's probably a competitive advantage - they like people from diverse/minority backgrounds. Unofficially, they might discriminate - depends on the individual. Who knows?
Original post by searchingshadow
I wonder what’s worse; no being able to punctuate, or not making any sense.

I am sorry. You should look at what you write yourself first, before criticising others. Just saying.
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't know much about your religion- but if you're considering not wearing it whilst you "establish yourself" then is it really that important that you wear it after that? If it was important, then surely you wouldn't consider not wearing it.

If you don't wear it, and then you suddenly tell them that you have to, they have to readjust whereas if you're just upfront about your religious beliefs, and wear it right from the start, then you'll know whether they approve or not.. and I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't, you're not causing anyone any harm.
Original post by prospectivEEconomist

I know I shouldn't have, but I laughed.
Your choice is thus, you want a career in IB you do what it takes to get the job, if that means not wearing a head scarf then so be it. Or you dont and maybe not able to get a job in your chosen career
Reply 19
Original post by i_hate_teeth
OP, be honest...would you hire this woman?

That's not a hijab (or part of it is). What's covering her face is something else (I'm not familiar with that culture).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending