The Student Room Group

Do I have an eating disorder?

This is anon as I know people in the forum...

Basically, I don't ever really eat over 500 cals. Yesterday, for example, I ate:

Two rivita with some houmous (94 cals total)

and

Two vegtable birds eye fingers, one southern style quorn 'chicken' strip, some veg and some ketchup (around 300 cals)

(Total about 400 cal)

I drink loads of water too and I cycle everywhere as I broke my bus pass by mistake...

It isn't that intentional that I want to lose weight, at least I don't think it is. I eat when I am hungry, but I know that it doesn't take much to fill me up, so like if I feel hungry I'll have a cracker or two and then be fine. I don't eat junk like chocolate and crisps and I am a vegaterian (hence the quorn). My flat mates are getting really worried about me, but I can't really see why. I feel fine. I have lost a notable amount of weight (as in, you can see it by looking at me) in the past few weeks. I keep a dairy of everything I eat, I use 'My fitness pal' which is an app on my phone, because I like to know...

My BMI is in the 20.-ish range (I don't have scales with me at uni so I don't know for sure).

500 sounds like such a large number to me... I have never really eaten over 1,300 cals... That was three full meals and some snacks for me. I was ill a few weeks ago and so I think my stomach just got a bit smaller. The number just sounds so large...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well it doesnt sound like your eating enough but that doesnt mean youre anorexic. Anorexia is a mental problem where people belive they are fat when they are not, if you always obsess over what you eat and you spend a lot f time worrying about it or if you feel really guilty if you eat something nice then maybe you are but as long as you are not purposely trying to starve yourself you probably just have asmall appetite. :smile: just make sure you do eat when youre hungry and get enough of the right foods etc x
Unsure, but you definitely aren't eating enough. Are you happy with your weight? Would you prefer to be a bit heavier or lighter?

You could maybe try to introduce a few more snacks or slightly bigger meals to increase your appetite slowly? Peanut butter and apple slices together are :sexface:
Reply 3
Original post by Persephone9
Unsure, but you definitely aren't eating enough. Are you happy with your weight? Would you prefer to be a bit heavier or lighter?

You could maybe try to introduce a few more snacks or slightly bigger meals to increase your appetite slowly? Peanut butter and apple slices together are :sexface:

Haha. Peanut butter and apple? Really? Haha.

I would like to be a little lighter, but wouldn't everyone?

Original post by chloe-xo
Well it doesnt sound like your eating enough but that doesnt mean youre anorexic. Anorexia is a mental problem where people belive they are fat when they are not, if you always obsess over what you eat and you spend a lot f time worrying about it or if you feel really guilty if you eat something nice then maybe you are but as long as you are not purposely trying to starve yourself you probably just have asmall appetite. :smile: just make sure you do eat when youre hungry and get enough of the right foods etc x

I know I am not anorexic, which is why I said eating disorder. If I eat anything like chocolate I feel really guilty, because it is empty cals and full of fat, so I just stopped.

I'm not trying to starve myself though, like. I generally just don't feel hungry. At about 11 today I had a small bowl of Ready Break which'll keep me going until about 4, when I will have some dried mango or something. It feels like I am eating so much.
Reply 4
oh okay yeah you need to eat more than that , ready break and mango only? that is not much at all, not only will you lose weght but it will make you ill, you wont get protein or any of the right vits and mins, and btw you could become anaemic which is when you dont have nough iron , then yoiu get dizzy, tirednes and you lose your hair, okay you may not be aneamic but if you only eat cereal and mango, im advising you EAT MORE!!! :smile: sorry just my friend was anaemic so i know a bit about it x
Reply 5
Original post by chloe-xo
oh okay yeah you need to eat more than that , ready break and mango only? that is not much at all, not only will you lose weght but it will make you ill, you wont get protein or any of the right vits and mins, and btw you could become anaemic which is when you dont have nough iron , then yoiu get dizzy, tirednes and you lose your hair, okay you may not be aneamic but if you only eat cereal and mango, im advising you EAT MORE!!! :smile: sorry just my friend was anaemic so i know a bit about it x

:smile: Thank you for the advice. Is there iron in liquid type food do you know? Or supliments? x
Reply 6
yeah you can get iron tablets but either from a doctor or chemist i think x
Reply 7
It sounds like your eating habits aren't particularly healthy, so you should probably talk to your GP or a nutritionist to make sure you're (a) getting enough calories and (b) are getting the nutrients you need. Whether you have an eating disorder is a tougher question--but do talk to a doctor just to make sure you're not hurting yourself.
Reply 8
If you're really having trouble eating, try buying something like complan from a pharmacy. It's basically a milkshake with vitamins and minerals added. I got prescribed something similar when I'd become underweight and was having trouble eating. It's not as good as just eating healthily though, you should be having at least one proper meal a day.
Original post by Anonymous
Haha. Peanut butter and apple? Really? Haha.

I would like to be a little lighter, but wouldn't everyone?

Its pretty nice, and it's a good way to get a few more calories into your diet. It also has some essential fatty acids in it; they're the ones that your body cant make from the other foods you eat, so you need to get them directly from your diet.

How much to you is a little lighter though? Are you happier with your body now than before you lost weight?

:smile: Thank you for the advice. Is there iron in liquid type food do you know? Or supliments? x

You can get iron tablets, but it would be best to ask your doctor if you need them and how much you need. You can also have too much iron, which can damage your spleen and liver (amongst other things), so again, it would be best to consult your GP.

A vit. B12 or folate deficiency can also cause anemia (of you're paricularly worried about that). B12 is found in eggs and milk products, and folate in spinach, beans, peas and lentils.
Reply 10
youre not eating enough at all.
and keeping a diary of everything you eat isnt really normal :/ looks a bit obsessive
but if your bmis 20 thats in the normal range isnt it.just try eat some more and build your appetite
Reply 11
Frankly I think you are on the eating disorder spectrum, as (a) you are recording the exact calorie content of your food and (b) it clearly isn't enough, so that (c) you are losing weight. Plus, (d) people are worried about you. All of this suggests that you do have a real problem.

I think you should make a concerted effort to eat more calories, even if you don't feel like it, because for an active young adult to be eating 500 calories per day is simply not sustainable.

It's also a test: if you can eat more & put on some weight, then feel reassured that things aren't too bad.
If you can't manage it, or just come up with lots of excuses for not trying, then you probably need help before things get worse.
(edited 13 years ago)
I would say definite yes. Automatically negative feelings associated with food or calories indicates an eating disorder. Considering that you're only eating 500 out of your recommended 2000 a day - that's the equivalent of starving yourself for just over FIVE days a week.

Your body will have burnt off the fat by now, so it will start burning muscle. Your heart is a muscle. A heart attack is a real possibility if you are seriously thin unless you start eating more. Hopefully this is enough to convince you to eat more.
Reply 13
you not eating enough. but you dont have a eating disorder, by the sound of it. its just that you eating less than you should.
just work it out how much energy you use and how much you eat, then you will know if you eating a lot or (A LOT) less.
Reply 14
ps: i personally think you eating way less than you should.
Hey there

Please visit my YouTube channel where you will find 90+ eating disorder videos. I had anorexia myself and documented my recovery on my channel, and have made tens of self-help videos as well. My channel has over 1.3 million views and I have managed to help thousands of men and women overcome their eating disorders.

Please have a look, and I hope you will find my videos helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/LouFederer/
Reply 16
If you're having to ask if you've got an eating disorder, the answer is probably no.

Iron supplements aren't recommended except for in extreme cases of anaemia as the body isn't designed to take in its daily RDA of iron in one go.
If I eat anything like chocolate I feel really guilty, because it is empty cals and full of fat, so I just stopped.

It feels like I am eating so much.

My flat mates are getting really worried about me, but I can't really see why. I feel fine. I have lost a notable amount of weight (as in, you can see it by looking at me) in the past few weeks.

500 sounds like such a large number to me... The number just sounds so large...

To me, these quotes suggest that while you may not have a full blown eating disorder, you're on the verge of one.

Plus

Why ask about supplements rather than foods that will increase your intake?

I think you should seek help before this develops into something really serious.
Reply 19
To be honest, if you're not bothered about it then leave it. Anorexia, bulimia, etc are all mental problems not physical where the individual sees their body as fat and something they want to change. If you've recently been ill then your stomach will shrink since let's face it, its effort to get up and get food so we'd rather rest. Are you eating the same foods as you did before you were unwell? If not, you might want to up the amounts/change the type of food to expand your stomach a touch more. If you are worried and want to increase your intake but just feel too full, then try keeping off carbs since we feel fuller faster with carbs, try a bigger plate of protein rather than a smaller plates of carbs for a few days since psychologically you will see yourself eating more, you'll become fuller slower but will see you've had a bigger plate- don't worry there's probably not much in it with calories. One thing I would say is maybe you're unknowingly aware of your food more than the average person since you are aware of calories but maybe you've just been brought up with that kind of thing I don't know. Eating disorders are a psychological thing, if you're happy as you are with no hidden agenda, chances are you're fine. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending