The Student Room Group

Channel 4 to stand by Frankie Boyle over joke about Jordan's son

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/8425800/Channel-4-to-stand-by-joke-about-Jordans-blind-son.html

"Jordan and Peter Andre are still fighting each other over custody of Harvey - eventually one of them will lose and have to keep him.

I have a theory about the reason Jordan married a cage fighter - she needed a man strong enough to stop Harvey from ****ing her..."

Good on Channel 4. It was clearly satirical and what kind of precedent would this set? We'll end up having comedians apologizing left, right and center about their material. Channel 4 also provided appropriate warning regarding the content of the show: "very strong language and uncompromising adult content". It was also late night television.

You know full well what you're getting when you watch Frankie Boyle and when the likes of Katie Price exploit their own children by thrusting them into the spotlight for their own personal gains then they effectively opening them up to being "fair game" as far as comedy is concerned.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thisisnew
I have a theory about the reason Jordan married a cage fighter - she needed a man strong enough to stop Harvey from ****ing her..."

Nah, he probably just has a huge dick.
I don't find the 'jokes' funny. They should apologise for being boring.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Didn't he make this joke last year? And they're still going on about it. Then she was saying she doesn't want her children in the media spotlight. What a load of ****.
I agree OP, if you don't like it don't watch it. You should know what you're gettin with frankie
Exactly.
Comdedians are GOING to offend people sometimes, that's what comedy is. He didn't say something outragiously hateful, just something quite funny taking the piss out of a celebrity.
Freedom of Speech?
Reply 6
When you watch a comedian you do so knowing full well that they're going to be controversial, I have no sympathy for people that get offended knowing full well the sort of humour Boyle is known for.
Reply 7
Well said.

I didn't find that Frankie Boyle series tremendously funny, but it's a complete outrage that he would be reprimanded for it, people know what he's about - don't watch it if you're going to be offended.

Also, the amount of times Jordan has claimed she hates the media attention and wants them to leave her alone, she still makes tv show after tv show just following her life. What a hypocritical bitch.

/end rant
Reply 8
i think you have to accept some things that comedians say because its part of what they do but I think that is absolutely taking it too far, making fun of someone who is disabled and humiliating someone by suggesting such a messed up situation. I dont think he should of said that at all, :s
Reply 9
Agreed, they shouldn't really have to apologies, especially if the show warns viewers about the nature of the content. Frankie boyle is only sometimes funny to me, most of the time it like his shouting a joke at me, but some of his stuff is clever, and straight to the point cause he isnt afraid of saying what he wants.
I'm sorry but this joke was not 'satirical' in the slightest; period. It was just in Boyle's usual style to cause shock.

I don't mind Frankie Boyle however and though his jokes aren't funny in my view (as they basically consist of him coming up with the rudest thing he can think of, to which he then adds a half dozen curse-words), people know what they're getting themselves in for when they are watching him. Thus if you don't like his type of comedy, don't watch is a pretty simple rule to follow.

His C4 show was crap in my view anyways, but he used to be hilarious on Mock The Week.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Craiky1506
- don't watch it if you're going to be offended.

Its not about people watching it, its about what is being said, making disgusting jokes about a disbaled child that would be extremely embarrising if he knew what it meant but beacsue he cant its okay? and then broadcasting it on television for everyone to watch, I think its extraordinary that people are okay with it .
[QUOTE="chloe-xo;30682879"]
Original post by Craiky1506
- don't watch it if you're going to be offended.

Its not about people watching it, its about what is being said, making disgusting jokes about a disbaled child that would be extremely embarrising if he knew what it meant but beacsue he cant its okay? and then broadcasting it on television for everyone to watch, I think its extraordinary that people are okay with it .

Comedians make jokes about EVERYONE. Men, women, children, white people, black people, asian people... Why are disabled people off limits?
Everyone should be treated equally in life.
It IS offensive, but that's the nature of Frankie's jokes... He says offensive things about everyone. I don't see how it's so awful because the child is disabled.
Reply 13
Original post by chloe-xo
i think you have to accept some things that comedians say because its part of what they do but I think that is absolutely taking it too far, making fun of someone who is disabled and humiliating someone by suggesting such a messed up situation. I dont think he should of said that at all, :s

And you're allowed to think that.

But where do you draw the line? I doubt there are many jokes which don't offend somebody on some level.
I personally don't find Frankie Boyle's styler outrageously funny, but it's entertainment nevertheless. I think he sometimes oversteps the mark, but Katie Price has no grounds for complaint.
Reply 15
yeah beacuse there is a difference between offending someone and completely putting shame on them, and yeah fair point but it seems worse that he cant understand these jokes, everyone is laughing at it and at him but he doesnt know. ASlso making jokes about different races, every single person belongs to a different race, few people are disbaled and its just different i dont think you can can joke about things like that... just sayin
Reply 16
Franky Boyle can be funny but he takes things too far. On Mock the Week he was hilarious but he tries to hard to be offensive and takes things too far in his shows and ends up just not being funny.

But obviously some people do find his shows funny otherwise he wouldn't be successful. Like people say, if you don't like it then don't watch it.
Reply 17
Original post by gunmetalpanda
I don't find the 'jokes' funny. They should apologise for being boring.

This

Anyone who finds frankie boyle funny is a moron
Reply 18
I think it's quite mean to do a personal attack on someone who hasn't invited it. Jordan's fair game because of the way she's behaved in the media, but Harvey himself hasn't actually done anything other than being born to a very peculiar mother. It's not fair to pick on someone who's done nothing whatsoever for something they can't help. Jokes about disability etc in general are fine - but picking on someone who's never invited it personally, not so much.
What annoys me more than anything is that a lot of Jordan's career is based upon slagging people off. Yet when it happens to her it's wrong? LOL, she can dish it out but she can't bloody take it, can't have it both ways.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending