The Student Room Group

Applying for Uni now

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey, I applied on 17th of march, I already have 4 offers and am waiting on one more. So, yeah there is plenty of hope. I would advise you phone up or email the universities you are planning to apply to and check if they are still accepting applications.

Good Luck.
Reply 21
Original post by sete
Hey, I applied on 17th of march, I already have 4 offers and am waiting on one more. So, yeah there is plenty of hope. I would advise you phone up or email the universities you are planning to apply to and check if they are still accepting applications.

Good Luck.

Brilliant, just hope this is how it turns out for me! out of curiosity - what Uni/course have you applied for?

And congrats on the offers :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by Dannnn
Brilliant, just hope this is how it turns out for me! out of curiosity - what Uni/course have you applied for?

And congrats on the offers :biggrin:

I applied for a range of accounting courses, some 'accounting & finance' others 'accounting & maths' or something similar.

Got offers from:

Sheffield
Newcastle
Loughborough
York
Reply 23
Ah very nice, you chosen what Uni you want to go to? my mate is at Loughborough, decent night-life :wink:
Reply 24
Has anyone else applied recently and got offers?
Original post by Dannnn
How do I apply through Extra? and thank you, I'm going to call them after work tomorrow anyway :smile:

You don't have to it's only for people who either rejected their offers or weren't successful.
Reply 26
I processed my UCAS application on 24th March. I currently got one offer from Liverpool uni. I'm considering making one substitution in one of my choices. However, my current situation is different because I'm redoing my first year again at another institution. Nevertheless, UCA Extra gives you an indication which courses are still open for late applicants.
Reply 27
Excellent! so there is hope for me :biggrin:

Whilst I'm here, does anyone know how many UCAS points I have? this is what I got in three years of college:

BTEC National Certificate IT Practitioners - MM
BTEC National Award IT Practitioners - M
BTEC First Diploma IT Practitioners - M

I used the calculator but it didn't have First Diploma as an option and it listed also listed the National Certificate as MMM instead of MM? I need 240 Points for my course so just need to make sure I have that.

Thanks again for all the help, really appreciate it!
Original post by Dannnn
Has anyone else applied recently and got offers?

Like you, I'm also applying this week. But I haven't even started on my personal statement!!
I procrastinated the application from February till now (first cos of exams, then comes family matters, & then it's just pure laziness), so that kinda serves me right.

If I get rejected on all 5 choices, I'm going to do an INTO pathway (equivalent to uni 1st year, & then proceed to 2nd year, which is different from foundation that'll progress you to uni 1st yr).
Any thoughts on that?
Reply 29
Original post by Dannnn

Whilst I'm here, does anyone know how many UCAS points I have? this is what I got in three years of college:

I used the calculator but it didn't have First Diploma as an option and it listed also listed the National Certificate as MMM instead of MM? I need 240 Points for my course so just need to make sure I have that.

Have a look at this page: http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/
Reply 30

Thanks for that, struggling to see what I have though (think I need sleep!) - is there any chance you can have a look? would appreciate it, thank you :smile:
Original post by Dannnn
I applied at Christ Church Canterbury which is the only Uni I actually want to go to, three of my choices were there. I also applied at the University of Greenwhich. My first choice is Digital Media, doubt it's the most popular of subjects, well I hope it isn't.

The woman on the phone wasn't helpful at all to be honest so I'm going to give them another call tomorrow and find out more.

If I apply this week, how long do they usually take to reply? or do they decide in June?

Both are open in Extra, so presumably they have some places left. Here is the digital media list: http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/QN6Spwk3H4C-kV5OuxINpK8GTJz23-UH7-/HAHTpage/search.HsKeywordSuggestion.whereNext?query=1091&word=DIGITAL+MEDIA&single=N

Bear in mind can be updated daily as availability changes. You REALLY have left it a little late...however you can check precise entry requirements on the websites of the respective unis. (If a 12-unit BTEC Canterbury Christchurch say they want DD). Remember you are months past the equal consideration deadline, so it would be as well to email the admissions tutors before you apply to say why you desperately want to go there and ask if they have any places before sending off your form, even if just as a courtesy. They will have already decided for the vast majority of their applicants, so it depends on how many places they have left and how confident they are of filling them, really.
Original post by Dannnn

You may not get points for the 1st diploma if it's gcse-equivalent level rather than sixth form level?

BTEC national certificate is listed, there are different categories. If you got MM then that is 160 points. ("BTEC Nationals (NQF)" at http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/)

Your btec award is also in that table, for a single merit you get 80 points.

So your total points are 240 points.
Original post by Dannnn
I applied at Christ Church Canterbury which is the only Uni I actually want to go to, three of my choices were there. I also applied at the University of Greenwhich. My first choice is Digital Media, doubt it's the most popular of subjects, well I hope it isn't.

The woman on the phone wasn't helpful at all to be honest so I'm going to give them another call tomorrow and find out more.

If I apply this week, how long do they usually take to reply? or do they decide in June?

On ucas CCC don't have a single hons digital media course, just joint honours. Do you want to do it joint with computing? If you go on ucas and search 'digital media' at ccc then you can see all the options. digital media and computing is open for new applications and requires 240 points, which you have. BUT their website says "BTEC Qualifications

Applicants with a 12 unit BTEC National Certificate should achieve DD overall" - and you only have MM. So you don't meet their entry requirements unfortunately.

However if you ring up they may encourage you to still apply as the course isn't full yet, well after the deadline for equal consideration, and you have relevant qualifications (in ICT). But if you do apply, do be aware that you don't meet their requirements so are unlikely to get an offer, unless they love your personal statement.
Reply 34
Original post by angelmxxx
You may not get points for the 1st diploma if it's gcse-equivalent level rather than sixth form level?

BTEC national certificate is listed, there are different categories. If you got MM then that is 160 points. ("BTEC Nationals (NQF)" at http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/)

Your btec award is also in that table, for a single merit you get 80 points.

So your total points are 240 points.

Excellent, thank you! that's exactly what I need for this course so hopefully I can get in. And I believe the First Diploma was a GCSE equivalent as I never went Sixth-Form.

Does getting Level 2 in Maths and English count for anything? pretty sure I did that too.
Original post by KNOB-head
replying to this thread now. really excited.

regards.

lol I love the irony of peoples comments and the link to their usernames :tongue:

OP the deadline for equal consideration was 15th January but all applications is June so you're fine but it's a late application and chances especially for this year being the last year before the tuition fee rise chances of going to a good uni is slim unless you are very lucky or extremely lucky through clearing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Dannnn
Excellent, thank you! that's exactly what I need for this course so hopefully I can get in. And I believe the First Diploma was a GCSE equivalent as I never went Sixth-Form.

Does getting Level 2 in Maths and English count for anything? pretty sure I did that too.

You have the right number of points but they still want you to have DD in your btec which you don't have as you only have MM. So you definitely need to ring up and ask if they will consider you, don't waste your choices if they won't consider you!

Look on ucas for some other unis so you can maximise your chance of getting an offer. :smile:

Your english and maths won't count as that is also below level 3 (6th form) standard. Do you have grade C gcses in English and Maths? Most unis will want that.
Before sending off your application i'd phone up the uni's you've applied for and see if they're still accepting applications, because a lot of uni's have already filled up all their places or have stopped accepting applications.

You could always try through clearing though?
Reply 38
On ucas CCC don't have a single hons digital media course, just joint honours. Do you want to do it joint with computing? If you go on ucas and search 'digital media' at ccc then you can see all the options. digital media and computing is open for new applications and requires 240 points, which you have. BUT their website says "BTEC Qualifications

Applicants with a 12 unit BTEC National Certificate should achieve DD overall" - and you only have MM. So you don't meet their entry requirements unfortunately.

However if you ring up they may encourage you to still apply as the course isn't full yet, well after the deadline for equal consideration, and you have relevant qualifications (in ICT). But if you do apply, do be aware that you don't meet their requirements so are unlikely to get an offer, unless they love your personal statement.

Really? so do I have to choose another course to go with it? I've spent two years working for a Web Design company as a Graphics Designer, do you feel that will have any impact? I plan on calling them on my lunch so will ask them then.

What about my National Award grade - will that help for anything?
Reply 39
You have the right number of points but they still want you to have DD in your btec which you don't have as you only have MM. So you definitely need to ring up and ask if they will consider you, don't waste your choices if they won't consider you!

Look on ucas for some other unis so you can maximise your chance of getting an offer. :smile:

Your english and maths won't count as that is also below level 3 (6th form) standard. Do you have grade C gcses in English and Maths? Most unis will want that.

Unfortunately no :frown: even if I have the correct UCAS points, will that not be enough to be considered?

Edit: just read your post again, will call them up and ask them if UCAS points is enough to get in. I have plenty of experience and I'm fairly skilled with Graphics so I suppose I could explain that to them. My heart is set on Christ Church as my friends and girlfriend are there.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending