The Student Room Group

Typical Medical Student Week

I know each week will be different to another.
But normally what do you do in a week.

the lectures you have?
the revision you do .
the time you spend with your friends and all.

thank you :smile:

State your medical school too, if you dnt mind.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by medtobe

the lectures you have?
the revision you do .

week 1:be very snobbish
Reply 2
It is extremely varied from medical school to medical school, you're going to have to be more specific as to which medical schools!
Reply 3
please share

Original post by Mushi_master
Well you have to meet in London the day after I've left home for Bath don't you, swines :tongue:

Original post by Elles
Last weekend of freedom... :bawling:

Baking my husband a birthday cake. :biggrin:

Original post by No Future
Agree

Original post by Stanley90
I'm a bit late but I think one point that many of you missed in the traditional vs non-traditional debate is that even if one is better than the other, that doesn't mean it's better for everyone. If someone hates being couped up in a classroom all the time they might find it very difficult getting through pre-clin and might flunk out because of it. Then again, many people complain about the lack of direction they're given on their courses and sometimes regret not going for traditional.

So basically, if one course turns out to be better than the other in producing good doctors this doesn't mean all courses should be changed to that particular style otherwise you might just get a bunch of de-motivated people put into a position of great responsibility. Don't you guys keep telling people in the applicants forum "choose the course that's right for you"? Surely if you all think yours is undoubtedly the best then you wouldn't even be saying this.

Original post by theredsox
Uhhh OSCEs in two weeks. How did you guys revise for them? Reading out the books; practising on people? Anything special and exciting?

Original post by billet-doux
1 week left until Easter! :smile: which also means revision :frown:

Original post by lekky
I watched podcasts then practised on people.

Original post by Captain Crash
So a few weeks back, we had a mock for our finals. This is one of the questions:

"A women is noticed to have decreasing performance at work and increased tardiness.

Which of the following tests would most determine her condition?

a)Blood film
b)White Cell Count
c)MCV
d)ESR
e)Platlet count"

:eek: I, and everyone I spoke to, were completely puzzled by this question with no-one 100% clear of the answer. Anyone any clues?

Original post by Scipio
Mate, we had an entire question on CLL, erythroderma, male infertility and a bunch of other crap on our finals. Leicester is truly ridiculous.

Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Too fat to breathe? :confused:

Original post by RollerBall
Haha. I haven't got to any RSM events, too lectury. Not going to pass up a paint balling though <3

Original post by felt_monkey
If someone could help me I'd be extremely grateful, I've got really confused :sad:. Hyperventilation causes CO2 to be blown off, causing respiratory alkalosis. Yes? I think. But what are the physiological mechanisms behind that? I don't understand if it's because H+ is being used to make CO2 so there's less of it, increasing the pH, or something about carbonate ions. Or is that metabolic compensation? I've been at this all day and my brain's started to melt.

Original post by Alex D
Yep, blowing off CO2 causes resp alkalosis. If you remember this equation;
H20 + C02 --> H2CO3 --> H+ + HCO3-, things may become clearer. From what I remember of last year, a decrease in CO2 will result in less H2CO3 (carbonic acid) being produced which in turn cannot dissociate into H+ + HCO3- (the metabolic component).

EDIT: try www.labtestsonline.org.uk/understanding/conditions/acidosis.html and wiki is always a good start :smile:

EDIT 2: www.acid-base.com

Original post by Jamie
Good explanation but if i might be so bold as to slightly tweak...

H20 + C02 <--> H2CO3 <--> H+ + HCO3-

(i.e. not one way)

Thank you!

Original post by Fission_Mailed
Sort your life out then come and get lashed! Imma book my trains ASAP.

Original post by Jessaay!
Entirely possible and fully intending on it, but not certain yet. Need to sort my life out really :p:

Original post by Becca-Sarah
It's a bit later than you were thinking, but the RSM are holding a 3rd year OSCE revision day in May - linky

There are also two sessions of their academic revision series left to run, but it doesn't say what level that's aimed at - linky

Original post by Ciaran88
Surprised nobody replied to this, there are so many courses out there, hasn't anyone tried any?
Reply 4
Original post by medtobe

the lectures you have?
the revision you do .

2 hrs of dissection
x hrs of lectures
1-2 hrs of group work/clinical skills/communication skills
Use the search function. This has been asked many, many times before...
Original post by medtobe

the lectures you have?
the revision you do .

Well you said it....it changes every week.

In first year we had 15-18 hours of teaching a week, usually 3 lectures a day, 6 hours of anatomy/6 hours of clinical skills as well as some tutorials.

Revision is done at home. Medical students do occasionally have friends.

And why am I not on your list??
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
depends where you are during the term. From memory (sparse), my preclinical years went as follows:

weeks 1-5: lie in bed nursing headache until midday. breakfast. 1pm feel pang of guilt and attempt some book work. 1.05 give up. tv & computer games until 6pm. 6pm dinner. 7pm pub.

weeks 6-10: lie in bed nursing headache until midday. feel anxiety & guilt. breakfast. 1pm extreme guilt/anxiety - resolve to do some bookwork. 2pm give up. wring hands and feel anguish about impending exam disaster. watch TV & play computer games, but without much enjoyment. 6pm dinner. 7pm pub.

weeks 11&12: wake up at 7am frantically worried. bookwork until 2am. brief pauses to eat. repeat.

exam

pub
Reply 8
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Well you said it....it changes every week.

In first year we had 15-18 hours of teaching a week, usually 3 lectures a day, 6 hours of anatomy/6 hours of clinical skills as well as some tutorials.

Revision is done at home. Medical students do occasionally have friends.

And why am I not on your list??

I just quoted the ppl in the last 2 pages of the med soc.
you were not there.:biggrin:
Original post by medtobe

the lectures you have?
the revision you do .

Barts & The London 1st year:

Monday
Two lectures in the morning (9-11),
Half hour break or an hour, usually to walk to Mile End,
Mixture of microanatomy/learning landscape(prosections)/practicals/clinical skills. These can run anywhere from half 11 to 6 or from 12 till 3.30, depending on the day and group.

Tuesday

9-11 PBL.
11/12-1/2 2 lectures
2-3 1 lecture
If you didn't have PBL in the morning (it alternates per term depending on your group) you now have it 3-5 instead.

Wednesday

9-11 SSC/Self directed study aka lie in unless you have a keen group.
11-1 two lectures
Rest off for sport or video games and procrastination for me.

Thursday
MedSoc biweekly. This can be anywhere from 9-5 (starting at the practice) or 10-3 depending on what your GP is like.
If you don't have medsoc that week you have a variety of practicals. This can vary from an entire day off (rarely, once this academic year) to going in all day, or just for an hour or two.

Friday
Exactly the same as Tuesday.

Overall the hours go:

Monday - 9-4/6 2 lectures, rest practicals.
Tuesday - 9-3/11-5 3 lectures 2 hours pbl.
Wednesday 9/11-1 2 lectures + sport
Thursday - Varied
Friday - 9-3/11-5

Sometimes we'll have an extra lecture in the late afternoon. For example, once or twice on Tuesdays we've had a lecture after the second groups PBL at 5-6.
Reply 10

Monday
Mixture of microanatomy/learning landscape(prosections)/practicals/clinical skills. These can run anywhere from half 11 to 6 or from 12 till 3.30, depending on the day and group.

Tuesday

9-11 PBL.
11/12-1/2 2 lectures
2-3 1 lecture
If you didn't have PBL in the morning (it alternates per term depending on your group) you now have it 3-5 instead.

Wednesday

11-1 two lectures

Thursday
MedSoc biweekly. This can be anywhere from 9-5 (starting at the practice) or 10-3 depending on what your GP is like.
If you don't have medsoc that week you have a variety of practicals. This can vary from an entire day off (rarely, once this academic year) to going in all day, or just for an hour or two.

Friday

Overall the hours go:

Thursday - Varied
Friday - 9-3/11-5

Sometimes we'll have an extra lecture in the late afternoon. For example, once or twice on Tuesdays we've had a lecture after the second groups PBL at 5-6.

thanks alot.

If only everyone was like you.:smile:
Reply 11

Monday

Tuesday

9-11 PBL.
11/12-1/2 2 lectures
2-3 1 lecture

Wednesday

11-1 two lectures

Thursday

Friday

Overall the hours go:

Thursday - Varied
Friday - 9-3/11-5

I don't like your timetable :no: .. it's too... full
Reply 12
Original post by medtobe
please share

Christ, how long did it take you to search our recent posts and quote us all? :p:

For the effort though, typical weeks (in second term, when things get a bit busier):

Probably at least 3 hours of lectures/day, sometimes less but that may be the average.
X number of hours in the computer labs/wet labs for practical stuff/histology etc.
Science tutorials/PDS (PDS being what we do on a thursday morning, involving more squishy stuff such as communication, and usually 1 x lecture and then a couple of hours working in a group. Very occasionally we do clinical days where we'll be there the whole day and probably do some clinical skills stuff).
1 dissection session, which is either 2 or 3 hours long.
Multitude of other stuff, including scheduled "self-paced learning sessions" which basically just are "do your own thing" sessions.

To be honest we don't have a standard timetable, it changes every week and from module to module so it's hard to give you an idea. We have a lot of lectures/contact hours in a medical course.

Also, why do you guys need to know this, may I ask?
I can't decide if I'm amazed by your effort, or annoyed you didn't bother to use the search function. Nevertheless, this was my timetable for last week:
Monday: 5x lectures, 1x 2 hour anatomy practical
Tuesday: 1 x tutorial, 1x lecture, 1x 2 hour SSU
Wednesday: 1x lecture, 1x 2 hour physiology practical (always get Wed afternoons off)
Thursday: 1 x 1 hour lecture, 1 x 3 hour lecture. Every other Thursday is 1 x 3 hour placement.
Friday: 2 x lecture, 1 x tutorial. Finished early because it was the last day of the term.
It changes every week though. That was a weird one because Monday and Thursday were so hectic - usually it's better spread out. Friday was obviously a one-off. Usually you get 1 afternoon off a week, 2 every other week. We nearly always start at 9am.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by medtobe
please share

Don't do that again.

Christ, how long did it take you to search our recent posts and quote us all? :p:

Probably about 2 seconds - last page of med soc thread and multi-quote the **** out of everyone.
Reply 15
Original post by Captain Crash
Don't do that again.

Probably about 2 seconds - last page of med soc thread and multi-quote the **** out of everyone.

Ahhh, fair game.
Reply 16
I can't decide if I'm amazed by your effort, or annoyed you didn't bother to use the search function. Nevertheless, this was my timetable for last week:
Monday: 5x lectures, 1x 2 hour anatomy practical
Tuesday: 1 x tutorial, 1x lecture, 1x 2 hour SSU
Wednesday: 1x lecture, 1x 2 hour physiology practical (always get Wed afternoons off)
Thursday: 1 x 1 hour lecture, 1 x 3 hour lecture. Every other Thursday is 1 x 3 hour placement.
Friday: 2 x lecture, 1 x tutorial. Finished early because it was the last day of the term.
It changes every week though. That was a weird one because Monday and Thursday were so hectic - usually it's better spread out.

For the effort though, typical weeks (in second term, when things get a bit busier):

Probably at least 3 hours of lectures/day, sometimes less but that may be the average.
X number of hours in the computer labs/wet labs for practical stuff/histology etc.
Science tutorials/PDS (PDS being what we do on a thursday morning, involving more squishy stuff such as communication, and usually 1 x lecture and then a couple of hours working in a group. Very occasionally we do clinical days where we'll be there the whole day and probably do some clinical skills stuff).
1 dissection session, which is either 2 or 3 hours long.
Multitude of other stuff, including scheduled "self-paced learning sessions" which basically just are "do your own thing" sessions.

To be honest we don't have a standard timetable, it changes every week and from module to module so it's hard to give you an idea. We have a lot of lectures/contact hours in a medical course.

Also, why do you guys need to know this, may I ask?

Monday

Tuesday

9-11 PBL.
11/12-1/2 2 lectures
2-3 1 lecture

Wednesday

11-1 two lectures

Thursday

Friday

Overall the hours go:

Thursday - Varied
Friday - 9-3/11-5

It will be nice if you can add what you do afte the lectures, like whether you revise soon afterwards(if so hw long) or hang out with friends and the revise.
And what ECs you take part in.
How many days you go out, etc.
Reply 17
Original post by jimbo139
depends where you are during the term. From memory (sparse), my preclinical years went as follows:

weeks 1-5: lie in bed nursing headache until midday. breakfast. 1pm feel pang of guilt and attempt some book work. 1.05 give up. tv & computer games until 6pm. 6pm dinner. 7pm pub.

weeks 6-10: lie in bed nursing headache until midday. feel anxiety & guilt. breakfast. 1pm extreme guilt/anxiety - resolve to do some bookwork. 2pm give up. wring hands and feel anguish about impending exam disaster. watch TV & play computer games, but without much enjoyment. 6pm dinner. 7pm pub.

weeks 11&12: wake up at 7am frantically worried. bookwork until 2am. brief pauses to eat. repeat.

exam

pub

Actually, strike that, this is my timetable.
Reply 18
Original post by medtobe
It will be nice if you can add what you do afte the lectures, like whether you revise soon afterwards(if so hw long) or hang out with friends and the revise.
And what ECs you take part in.
How many days you go out, etc.

You're not asking for much are you?

I do think the social life etc depends on the person and the part of the year.

In third term, exam mode, don't go out at all, in first term go out pretty much all the time, in second term somewhere between the two but go out a fair amount.

For ECs my main thing is rowing (twice a week), for a while I did salsa dancing as well but my week got filled too quickly. I also go rock climbing ocassionally, and I'm part of a charity and we're going to South Africa in the summer.

The entire university of london (or so I believe) gets Wednesday afternoons off for sports (at least preclinical and undergrad get this). So either training/matches or something.

In second term I went out probably twice/3 times a week at night, sometimes more if it was a really good week, sometimes less.

I don't think many people spend much time "revising" during general weekday time.
Monday - 1 hour lecture, 2 hour dissection, 2 hour practical every other week
Tuesday - 2 x 1 hour lectures, twice a term 2 hour PBL activity
Wednesday - Really variable. In the first term 3 x 1 hour lectures, 1-2hour supervision and 2 x 2hour practicals every other week. This term it was only 1 lecture but with an extra supervision and only 1 practical every other week.
Thursday - 2 x 1 hour lecture, 1 hour supervision
Friday 2 x 1 hour lecture, 1 hour supervision, 2 hour dissection.

Throw in a few extra hours of GP visit and a couple of extra supervisions when our DOS thinks we're all going to fail. On top of this there will be 3 worksheets (2-3 hours each normally) each week, plus an essay (again, 3 hours or so) each week that have to be done. There's also preparation for practicals and dissection. A more conscientious person than me would be doing 3 or 4 hours of that each week too.

Edit:

And pretty much this, but in an 8 week term

Original post by jimbo139

exam

pub
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest