The Student Room Group

Transpose for h. V = (h/6)(3r2 + h2)

make h subject of the formula...
Original post by namra.butt
make h subject of the formula...

Is that V=(h/6)(3r2+h2)V = (h/6)(3r^2 + h^2) ?

If so you need to solve a cubic to make h the subject. There are formulae, which you can Google if necessary, but I wonder what the whole question is that makes this a necessity.

Edit: I see you've raised the exact same question before!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
yes equation is same. I solved it and got a cubic equation which is h3 +3hr2 -6v=0 but i dont know how to solve it to make h subject of formula.
yes equation is same. I solved it and got a cubic equation which is h3 +3hr2 -6v=0 but i dont know how to solve it to make h subject of formula.

Solving cubics is generally not trivial. There are standard formula, which you can find via Google.

Were you given this equation, or have you derived it from something else, and if so from what?
Reply 4
No I have to do it for my assignment... I tried to find on google how to solve this equation but couldn't find anything..
No I have to do it for my assignment... I tried to find on google how to solve this equation but couldn't find anything..

Google "solve reduced cubic" without the quotes, there are several hits on the first page you could use.

Quick Reply

Latest