The Student Room Group

For all you anti gun hoplophobes on here

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hardballer
oh really????? America you can defend yourself and south africa you're gonna have to hope that your attacker doesn't want to rape and kill you after he's mugged you, which going by previous evidence is quite unlikely

What has that got to do with what I said?
Reply 221
Original post by Emaemmaemily
What has that got to do with what I said?

look, face it. Its basic human nature to be able to defend ourselves. Bears have claws, lions have razor sharp teeth and we have something better. Intelligence to manufacture better tools to defend ourselves with. I presume by your username that you're female. Tell me. confronted by a rapist in a dark alley would you feel better with or without a weapon? stun gun, handgun...and don't beat around the bush with your answer, just give it to me straight. I don't believe in god but there was once a famous quote....god made man, samuel colt made them equal. It also made women equal as well, more than any stupid feminist ever will. Now a 120 pound woman can stand up to a 250 pound man/predator. But you guys still condemn it. next time theres a horrific rape in this country and you get these daily mail readers calling for the death penalty....just remember, prevention is better than cure.
look, face it. Its basic human nature to be able to defend ourselves. Bears have claws, lions have razor sharp teeth and we have something better. Intelligence to manufacture better tools to defend ourselves with. I presume by your username that you're female. Tell me. confronted by a rapist in a dark alley would you feel better with or without a weapon? stun gun, handgun...and don't beat around the bush with your answer, just give it to me straight. I don't believe in god but there was once a famous quote....god made man, samuel colt made them equal. It also made women equal as well, more than any stupid feminist ever will. Now a 120 pound woman can stand up to a 250 pound man/predator. But you guys still condemn it. next time theres a horrific rape in this country and you get these daily mail readers calling for the death penalty....just remember, prevention is better than cure.

Having guns will not prevent a rape, or an attack. It will just mean more often than right now, these encounters will end up lethal for one or more people.
I obviously would like protection, but not a gun. I can protect myself without a gun. And that way, I can escape, AND someone isn't killed. Even if you kill someone from "self defense" you're not usually let off completely, so that would ruin someone's life.

Giving everyone guns WILL NOT prevent violence and attacks. It will just arm the attacker to the same level. This is a major reason why the gun violence (and violent crime in general) is much higher in the USA.
Reply 223
Giving everyone guns

sorry but why do people always use the term "GIVING" people guns. Not sure what you mean, but I had to buy my shotgun from a shop, noone's giving anyone anything :confused:
Reply 224
I obviously would like protection, but not a gun.

well like what? peppers spray? taser? because the elected powers that be have decided that you can't defend yourself with that either?
you may see shooting a rapist as immoral but then again you probably haven't been raped before. I find rapists immoral, and if they have no respect for human life then why should we have respect for their human rights?
sorry but why do people always use the term "GIVING" people guns.

:toofunny: It is so much easier to quibble about a common and well-understood colloquialism like that than it is to come up with proper arguments, isn't it?
Reply 226
Original post by Good bloke
:toofunny: It is so much easier to quibble about a common and well-understood colloquialism like that than it is to come up with proper arguments, isn't it?

well since its used in every other post then yes! I wouldn't mention it if you guys hadn't used that term like a 100 times
Most recent US homicide rate (all causes) 5.0/100,000/yr
UK (all causes)1.28/100,000/yr

US gun-related homicide rate 3.72/100,000
England & Wales (gun-related) 0.11/100,000

So I guess that the relative lack of firearms over here isn't doing us too much harm.
Original post by jimbo139

So I guess that the relative lack of firearms over here isn't doing us too much harm.

Yeah, but you don't have to lock your door in the States

/sarcasm.
Original post by moonkatt
Yeah, but you don't have to lock your door in the States

/sarcasm.

There wouldn't be much point. People, presumably, leave them open to avoid the armed burglar causing even more damage by shooting the door open. It is much cheaper if they can just walk in. :biggrin:
well like what? peppers spray? taser? because the elected powers that be have decided that you can't defend yourself with that either?
you may see shooting a rapist as immoral but then again you probably haven't been raped before. I find rapists immoral, and if they have no respect for human life then why should we have respect for their human rights?

I said giving because it's easier than saying "allowing people to have".
I have been raped before, don't make assumptions about people's lives when you don't know them. That doesn't make my views on guns any different.
If you make guns legal, then the rapist will almost definitely have one too. It's much easier to fight against someone with a knife then a gun.
Reply 231
Original post by jimbo139

1.28 x 5 = 6.4, so we have a bigger murder rate per population. The tool used is irrelavent
1.28 x 5 = 6.4, so we have a bigger murder rate per population. The tool used is irrelavent

Sorry, who did you just say has a higher murder rate? (just to be sure)
Reply 233
I said giving because it's easier than saying "allowing people to have".
I have been raped before, don't make assumptions about people's lives when you don't know them. That doesn't make my views on guns any different.
If you make guns legal, then the rapist will almost definitely have one too. It's much easier to fight against someone with a knife then a gun.

Well sorry to hear that, I don't know the circumstances but I'm sure a pepper spray or a stun gun would have helped. Did the rapist need a gun to rape you? I'd imagine he wouldn't.

Is it that you aren't numerate? Or perhaps you cannot read. Those figures were per 100,000 of population.
Reply 235
Sorry, who did you just say has a higher murder rate? (just to be sure)

sorry I misread, so they have three times more murders? alot of that is gang violence I'd imagine and you can't really tell gangs to stop killing each other. Organised crime is just on a smaller scale in this country
Reply 236
Original post by Good bloke
Is it that you aren't numerate? Or perhaps you cannot read. Those figures were per 100,000 of population.

ok take it easy pal we all make mistakes
Well sorry to hear that, I don't know the circumstances but I'm sure a pepper spray or a stun gun would have helped. Did the rapist need a gun to rape you? I'd imagine he wouldn't.

No he didn't need a gun. But if guns were legal in this country, he probably would have had one and I wouldn't have got away when I did. I could have been killed.
Guns don't just "protect" the innocent, they better arm the criminals and attackers... It just creates more opportunity for criminals, and makes the encounters much more likely to be lethal.
Sigh.

Three times more murders, 33 times more gun related deaths... and that's just deaths, not serious injuries and the number of guns used in other crimes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending