The Student Room Group

My boyfriend hates makeup/fed up of my acne

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clairecourtney
I was in exactly the same situation, i had moderate to severe acne from the age of about 9 or 10, i went to the doctors many times and nothing they gave me ever worked.
After a while i had been through so many tablets and lotions that they gave me a referral to a dermatologist, i had to wait about a month for the appointment but the first time i went they prescribed me roaccutane, and my skin started clearing up straight away and was completely clear within around 2 months. I finished the treatment and have never had any skin problems since, obviously the occasional spot but otherwise completely clear skin! It has quite a few side effects, especially on pregnancies as it can cause deformities, and also cant be taken by anyone who has suffered from depression but for me it just seemed like a miracle tablet!

So if you have been to the doctors a couple of times, just keep pestering them to refer to you a dermatologist who can give you something that actually really does work! :smile: x

Same here and now I only get spots when it is that time of the month. My skin is amazingly clear compared to when I was at school.
Reply 41
Ask the Doctor for Zineryt. I haven't personally had this problem, but my best friend had it and got that prescribed, it's gentle but effective she said. I know lots of people who have had this, and understand why you feel the need to wear foundation, but if anything that will make it worse and stop it from ever going away. Instead of covering up you need to try treatments.

Also, I'm not against foundation, I wear it in small amounts, a good one that doesn't block pores or irritate skin is GOSH Natural Touch, so I would advise wearing something like that, take treatments at the same time, then as the acne decreases start decreasing the amount of foundation you wear (basically wean yourself off it). A healthy diet, excercise & decreasing stress levels would also help if possible. Good luck and don't worry, there are always solutions, and if all the above doesn't work and you're still desperate, there's sort of chemical skin peel procedures (bit too extreme for my tastes, but if everything else fails)

Do it for yourself though not your boyfriend, having spots or 'imperfections' doesn't mean you're not beautiful and you shouldn't see it as a disability or anything too major, there are people far worse off (e.g. burn victims) who can't do anything about it. Try to focus on your positive aspects (haha such a cheesy post I know sorry!) :smile:
Reply 42
Thanks for all this advice, it's nice knowing I'm not the only one whose felt like this!

I think I'm gonna try the Liz Earle cleanser and see if that works - and perhaps also the Ponds cold cream to see if an old fashioned product can do the trick.

My boyfriend is one in a million and to be honest even I agree with him that foundation is like paint. Of course I wish I could have clear skin but let's just hope my persistence with fighting this awful acne will pay off and one day I can start leaving the foundation out of my daily routine :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I have, but all the creams they've put me on have dried out my skin even worse (I have naturally sensitive skin) even if I moisturise tons. I don't really want to go on tablets. But I know what you mean the foundation doesn't do my skin any favours but it's like a never ending circle. I need to find products that work for me but it's becoming so expensive in the process!

the drying is horrible and not pretty at all, but the truth is you will not find a way out of this pain free. Just suck it up and go for the creams/ pills. Both will dry out your skin, both will clear up your acne. It's a price to pay but the end results are always worth it, honest!! :biggrin:
Reply 44
Original post by Anonymous
It's not like that - he just wants to see me naturally cause apparently I'm naturally beautiful, but as you say the make up makes me feel better personally cause I don't wanna go out with spots on my face. I do think what he's saying is lovely, but it just sucks I feel I can't give it up until my skin clears

Go on accutane..you'll be flawless like I was...get the odd spots now and again though now, I may take a second course...
Reply 45
Try Liz Earle cleanser followed by 2.5% benzoyl peroxide then a moisturiser? This cleanse, benzoyl peroxide, moisturiser routine is very effective. I've seen big improvements in the 2-3 years I've been following Daniel Kern's regimen from www.acne.org.
If it's severe acne though, really bad and cystic, then you might need to resort to medicine. Good luck! I know how much acne sucks :frown:
Original post by Ultimate_Geek
I went to the Docs. the other day about a sudden flare up that had taken to squatting on my chin for months.

He prescribed Duac gel and one week later, my skin is virtually blemish free! It's a bit drying though so daily exfoliation and lots of moisturising is needed but it's definitely worth it! I went out without any face make-up on at all today for the first time in months :borat:.

Ah, I had the exact same experience with Duac gel! And you're spot on about the whole drying thing, plus my skin is really sensitive so it goes red on the area I've put it on overnight :/ Then there's the added fact I haven't found the correct moisturiser so I've just been using E45 which the doctor prescribed with it :redface:

Overall though, it really is quite awesome!
Original post by mhoughton93
try the liz earle cleanse and polish, this really cleared my skin up!

This and probably diet. Drink loads of water.
one word- OBAGI
Original post by Le Masquerador.
Ah, I had the exact same experience with Duac gel! And you're spot on about the whole drying thing, plus my skin is really sensitive so it goes red on the area I've put it on overnight :/ Then there's the added fact I haven't found the correct moisturiser so I've just been using E45 which the doctor prescribed with it :redface:

Overall though, it really is quite awesome!

It really has worked wonders for me! Palmers Cocoa Butter seems to help the dryness.
You should try the clinique anti-blemish solutions stuff, without the moisturisers. I used to have really bad acne and it's worked wonders for me, I stopped using it after a year or so and now I don't wear foundation and hardly ever break out without having to carry on using it. I do still wash my face with some mild soap though, morning and evenings. You could also ask your doctor for the pill, some of them are very good at reducing acne.
Original post by clairecourtney
I was in exactly the same situation, i had moderate to severe acne from the age of about 9 or 10, i went to the doctors many times and nothing they gave me ever worked.
After a while i had been through so many tablets and lotions that they gave me a referral to a dermatologist, i had to wait about a month for the appointment but the first time i went they prescribed me roaccutane, and my skin started clearing up straight away and was completely clear within around 2 months. I finished the treatment and have never had any skin problems since, obviously the occasional spot but otherwise completely clear skin! It has quite a few side effects, especially on pregnancies as it can cause deformities, and also cant be taken by anyone who has suffered from depression but for me it just seemed like a miracle tablet!

So if you have been to the doctors a couple of times, just keep pestering them to refer to you a dermatologist who can give you something that actually really does work! :smile: x

I second this. Roaccutane is the shizzle.
After years of suffering the same (and really, really, stupidly bad, and I was the youngest of my school to get it too) the only thing that worked was Dalacin T topical solution combined with the pill (dianette for a year, now yasmin which is not as good but good enough). Neither caused dry and blotchy skin which was my problem with most things - very sensitive skin.
I've 'been there and done that' with almost everything doctors gave me. Trouble is, everybody is different, so no combination of treatment will work for everyone... Got to see what will work for you.
1. Change your pillow case every day. no joke.
2. wash your hands with soap before touching your face whenever possible
3. minimize use of make-up, as foundation can actually help clog pores and cause spots - allthough that ones not from personnel experience.

First two eliminated my acne in like 3 - weeks
Reply 54
malik deep sea mud soap.its really gentle and cheap.seriously think its worth a try!
also clinique does a blemish solutions foundation which helps the appearence of spots so youll gradually have to wear less and less :smile:
Reply 55
I know how you feel. I used to have really bad skin too.
I know it hard but if you stop wearing foundation that should help. I found that when I stopped wearing it some of my spots cleared up.
I went and had my skin analysed because everything the doctor prescribed just did not work. She said to use a facial scrub once or twice a week to lift the oil and dirt and to use a normal soap free daily wash the rest of the days. She also gave me an oil free moisturiser that worked. I hope this helps?
Reply 56

well before i also had some dark spots on my face due to acne , but i changed my eating habits and eaten more of fruits and drank a lotta water it doesnt only make the facial skin soft it makes u generally have vibrant skin plus a lotta sleep is great too ...
further more i avoid touching my face , when i wear make up all day i usually make sure that it is thoroughly off my face before putting night cream on in night also i clip my hair so it wont irritate my face as i sleep....
I can kind of relate to this. I don't have bad acne but I constantly have 1-4 huge painful spots on my face in obvious areas (cheeks, between eyebrows, chin, forehead) and an uneven, blotchy skin tone. It makes me feel horrible and I feel SO self concious and ugly even though people probably don't notice it as much as I think they do! So I wear foundation every day to cover it up. Its irritating because I'm 21 and all my female friends seem to have grown out of spots and have beautiful clear skin.

I can tell my boyfriend finds it tiresome waiting for me to get ready in the morning - it'd be great to be able to get out of bed, brush my hair and go but instead I'm there cleanse, tone and moisturising and doing my makeup!

All I can suggest is don't be afraid of pills - dianette (the contraceptive) can apparently work wonders on skin.
I used to have fairly bad skin (I wouldn't say I had bad acne, but I was self conscious about it and used to always wear foundation to cover it up). I used and still used Vichy Normaderm products, they're not very cheap but also not expensive and one bottle last ages. There's a cleanser, moisturisers, concealer, lots of things really, and although my skin doesn't generally dry out the moisturisers are really nice when my skin occasionally becomes dry because they don't make your skin oily. To be honest I think there are lots of products similar to these and if you clean your face well twice or even three times a day that should make a difference (although you probably know that and it's been mentioned by other people).

I think what most helped my skin though was going on the pill (I use Yasmin). It took a few months but my skin is a lot better than it used to be, and I don't feel the need to wear makeup all the time anymore.
I don't dislike make-up - it can enhance beauty. It's just that this generation is crazy for it. I always wondered why they have to wear for literally everything. I saw girls coming into secondary school with make-up on and it looked so thick and their skin had a matte finish that disallowed any reflection. It was unattractive. I've had teachers send girls away to wash it off.

Will foundation make your skin better? maybe it's the make-up that is preventing your skin from improving. Won't it make your face "dirty"? Remember, make-up doesn't make people beautiful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending