The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Accomodation at Imperial

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by nikita_atikin
You're an Imperial encyclopedia, and you're used to my bizarre questions so here is another one for you :h:
Erm, do you dudes go shopping together for like groceries and stuff to cook like weekly food shopping? :s-smilie: Sorry if that sounds too weird a question but I was wondering if like people group together to go to Tesco to buy like weekly food. Or is that more of an individual activity?

I made friends with a group of people in Halls who cooked large meals together each weekend, and sometimes just on random evenings. We'd go out and buy stuff together, and then go back and cook.

During the week I had quite a different timetable, so I sorted out my own meals most of the time, and so went shopping on my own. Each year since then, my flatmates and I have just kinda settled on a rota (although it's always skewed towards me doing the shopping).

Original post by Zottula
The gym is free for all Imperial students but a one-off charge of £25 for a fitness orientation is required :biggrin:. Wooooo free gym!!!

Aw, in my day, you had free gym induction as well :tongue:. You poor kids. :biggrin:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 281
Original post by Blatant Troll
+ Nice hall, nice rooms, not (quite...) as extortionate as Southside/Eastside
- Can get somewhat noisy on a Weds/Fri evening if your room is facing the quad, but it's certainly bearable

:holmes:

Thanks!!! So the only problem with the place(which isnt reli a problem) is the noise levels on Wednesday and Friday evenings?
Cyco
During the week I had quite a different timetable, so I sorted out my own meals most of the time, and so went shopping on my own. Each year since then, my flatmates and I have just kinda settled on a rota (although it's always skewed towards me doing the shopping).

You're so kind Cyco, answering all our Imperial questions! You'd make an awesome Imperial wife for me :yep: It's a shame you're leaving this year :cry2:
You're so kind Cyco, answering all our Imperial questions! You'd make an awesome Imperial wife for me :yep: It's a shame you're leaving this year :cry2:

We usually nick a trolley from TESCO, pack it full with food and survive for 7 days.
Original post by kaosu_souzousha
We usually nick a trolley from TESCO, pack it full with food and survive for 7 days.

NO WAY REALLY? :eek: Didn't know that! I thought we usually carry all that stuff on our hands and our heads! :shock:
Seriously though :tongue: I was wondering if it's a weekly thing that everyone does. I'd feel a bit sad going food shopping alone and coming back to halls with tesco bags stuffed with food :ninja:
Reply 285
NO WAY REALLY? :eek: Didn't know that! I thought we usually carry all that stuff on our hands and our heads! :shock:
Seriously though :tongue: I was wondering if it's a weekly thing that everyone does. I'd feel a bit sad going food shopping alone and coming back to halls with tesco bags stuffed with food :ninja:

I did most of my food shopping at Keele alone.

And at home I do most of the shopping.....alone :frown:.
Reply 286

The number of people who say I would be a good dad or husband is getting scary now.... must be their hormones :tongue:

And about leaving this year.... if you keep it to yourself, I've got an Imperial PhD application going through the works, so we'll see what happens.
Original post by Cyco
The number of people who say I would be a good dad or husband is getting scary now.... must be their hormones :tongue:

And about leaving this year.... if you keep it to yourself, I've got an Imperial PhD application going through the works, so we'll see what happens.

Yay I hope your application works out alright! You're invited to our freshers events anyway. :biggrin: You'd make a lovely wife, I'm sure (not sure about husband yet) but you can be my adopted father if you like :h:
Reply 288
Yay I hope your application works out alright! You're invited to our freshers events anyway. :biggrin: You'd make a lovely wife, I'm sure (not sure about husband yet) but you can be my adopted father if you like :h:

Thanks.
I'll be your adoptive father, until you get official parents during Freshers' Week. I can then be known as Uncle Cyco, and be really creepy.
Original post by xylar
Thanks!!! So the only problem with the place(which isnt reli a problem) is the noise levels on Wednesday and Friday evenings?

Oui. And the lifts play up occasionally...

For the record we also had a walk-in theft during first term (with the Union being there they're particularly on it with outsiders tailgating people in etc.). They take security pretty seriously though - they subsequently installed locks on all the kitchen doors & I wasn't aware of any trouble afterwards (annoying when you leave your key in the kitchen though :doh: ). Otherwise I always felt safe in Beit :moon:
Original post by Cyco
Thanks.
I'll be your adoptive father, until you get official parents during Freshers' Week. I can then be known as Uncle Cyco, and be really creepy.

You get parents during freshers week? :lolwut: Just when I thought I was getting rid of my real ones :rolleyes: What are the chances I'll end up with a male mum and a male dad? :teehee:
Reply 291
You get parents during freshers week? :lolwut: Just when I thought I was getting rid of my real ones :rolleyes: What are the chances I'll end up with a male mum and a male dad? :teehee:

Yeah, most departments will give you two 2nd-4th year undergrads who've volunteered to be parents. They'll be around for the free freshers' lunch, and you should trade details, so on and so forth. During first term, there might be a range of activities, such as pub crawls and quizzes that you can do with your parents. They are there for any questions that people like me can't answer.

Well, considering how a higher proportion of the girls in the year apply to be parents, than the boys, there's a good chance to get a 'normal' relationship. Curiosly, there have been girl-girl parent couples before.... I think they were trying to tell us something.
Original post by Cyco
Yeah, most departments will give you two 2nd-4th year undergrads who've volunteered to be parents. They'll be around for the free freshers' lunch, and you should trade details, so on and so forth. During first term, there might be a range of activities, such as pub crawls and quizzes that you can do with your parents. They are there for any questions that people like me can't answer.

Well, considering how a higher proportion of the girls in the year apply to be parents, than the boys, there's a good chance to get a 'normal' relationship. Curiosly, there have been girl-girl parent couples before.... I think they were trying to tell us something.

Can you choose your parents? And does every single first year get a mum and a dad? I quite want a girl mum and a boy dad :h: I wouldn't complain if I got a boy-boy parentship :ninja:
Reply 293
Can you choose your parents? And does every single first year get a mum and a dad? I quite want a girl mum and a boy dad :h: I wouldn't complain if I got a boy-boy parentship :ninja:

Ha, would be so fun to tell our parents that we've replaced them.
Reply 294

Assuming your department runs the parent/buddy scheme, then you can't choose them, and they can't choose you. If your department is doing it, then you all get parents. In chemistry, it ends up with about 6-8 kids per couple, to make up the numbers.
Reply 295
have the applications for accommodation opened yet, website says they go out in may, it is now april and i haven't heard a peep from them.

oh and also do double and triple rooms ever come with some sort of divider type thing, for privacy and that
Original post by wrench22
have the applications for accommodation opened yet, website says they go out in may, it is now april and i haven't heard a peep from them.

oh and also do double and triple rooms ever come with some sort of divider type thing, for privacy and that

It's still April so we have a while until mid May when they are sent out.

As for shared rooms, Eastside has divider things, they're not the best but they'll do. And Keogh is the best for privacy in a shared room because it's like 2 separate rooms almost. Go on the accommodation website for a look, you'll understand what I mean by saying Keogh is good for privacy in a shared room.
Reply 297
It's still April so we have a while until mid May when they are sent out.

As for shared rooms, Eastside has divider things, they're not the best but they'll do. And Keogh is the best for privacy in a shared room because it's like 2 separate rooms almost. Go on the accommodation website for a look, you'll understand what I mean by saying Keogh is good for privacy in a shared room.

ah yes, april is in fact before may, i have just gone the whole day thinking may was march, oh deaar!
Original post by wrench22
ah yes, april is in fact before may, i have just gone the whole day thinking may was march, oh deaar!

Haha don't worry I thought you might have done that! We've all been there! A moments madness never hurt anyone :wink:
Reply 299
It's always a good to know how to knit and cook self catering, eh?:colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending