The Student Room Group

The most easiest med school?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by No Future
It was a helpful tip to the OP. Bad grammar doesn't make your application look good.

Basic grammar is an innate and important part of written English.

What is your point?

Pointing out a mistake is not a tip.
My point was to express my dislike of people who think grammar imperative to everything intellectual.
I am not willing to continue this discussion.
Reply 61
Original post by SteveCrain

That's a shame - nay - a travesty.
Pointing out a mistake is not a tip.
My point was to express my dislike of people who think grammar imperative to everything intellectual.

Basic grammar is pretty imperative.

If someone makes an obvious mistake that would look bad on their application, is pointing it out not a tip?

Seriously, dude, wtf?
Reply 63
Original post by No Future
Basic grammar is pretty imperative.

If someone makes an obvious mistake that would look bad on their application, is pointing it out not a tip?

Seriously, dude, wtf?

But he has command of basic grammar, as shown by his being able to convey meaning in a manner that doesn't require close scrutiny to comprehend.

A tip is something helpful, and since I saw no attempt to correct his mistake, your remark does not fit the definition.

To avoid diverging from the topic, feel free to continue this via PM, otherwise let this be the last of the matter.
Original post by hassi94
Most med schools won't take your GCSEs into account too much as long as you do well in AS and are predicted high grades for A2.

Speaking as someone who has been rejected from medical school this year, they do take into account your GCSE's. Every single medical school I personally looked at said they consider your GCSE's.

As medical school entry is so competitive any weak point could let you down no matter how strong the rest of your application is. You just have to get the rest of your application as good as possible!
But he has command of basic grammar, as shown by his being able to convey meaning in a manner that doesn't require close scrutiny to comprehend.

A tip is something helpful, and since I saw no attempt to correct his mistake, your remark does not fit the definition.

To avoid diverging from the topic, feel free to continue this via PM, otherwise let this be the last of the matter.

Make sure you take your head out of your ass before the interviews, because that's not a good look. Just a friendly tip :smile:
Reply 66
So he writes something like this on his application, completely incorrect grammatically, it won't take them long to make a link between that and GCSE results for example. The impression that the admission panel gets from the PS is vital!
Reply 67
Original post by hassi94

Original post by hassi94
Most med schools won't take your GCSEs into account too much as long as you do well in AS and are predicted high grades for A2.

Some of the easiest ones will be Bristol, Keele, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Sheffield, UEA, Aberdeen, Glasgow, St Andrews and Cardiff.

I base this off the fact they only had requirements of AAB last year rather than the then-standard AAA.

EDIT: And don't Neg. me just because you go to one of these Unis. I'm basing that list off of a 2 minute look in a book and comparing them by one factor only. It is by no means definitive in any way - but I thought I'd add SOMETHING other than the people saying 'there is no easy one' because he's already stated he knows that!

I understand that you mean well but personally I don' t think it sensible to advice people on how easy a medical school is to get into when AAB/AAA requirements do not reflect that.

OP, look at the prospectus of the university and if you meet their GCSE bill you have just as good a shot as the next guy. I 'only' had 1.5A*s and 5As when I applied. Pick the place you like most that fits with your parameters.
Reply 68
Original post by Beska
That's a shame - nay - a travesty.

:rofl:
Reply 69
Different medical schools want different things. So you havent done well in your GCSE, tips for me: now concentrate on doing well in your UKCAT and get load of of workexp/volunteering/extra cirricular. And definitely concentrate on your exams, if you flunk them, no medical school will take you!

Be determined =))
Reply 70
Original post by tia.may
Different medical schools want different things. So you havent done well in your GCSE, tips for me: now concentrate on doing well in your UKCAT and get load of of workexp/volunteering/extra cirricular. And definitely concentrate on your exams, if you flunk them, no medical school will take you!

Be determined =))

Why are medical schools so competitive for? Surely they'l over look something that we done when we were like little 15 16 year olds?! really annoys me, i just want to do really well at A levels and im bound to get at least one interview... thanks:smile:
Reply 71
Original post by MedicSoon!
Why are medical schools so competitive for? Surely they'l over look something that we done when we were like little 15 16 year olds?! really annoys me, i just want to do really well at A levels and im bound to get at least one interview... thanks:smile:

Ironically, A-Level grades are probably the least significant out of all measures used to select candidates.

Because for many people applying, those and AS levels are the only qualifications they've got. How else are med schools sposed to distinguish between applicants? And being 16 years old is really not that much different than being 18 years old- in most people, it's likely that they will have a similar level of intelligence and the same study skills, so the A level results will be similar. Therefore, it's quite reasonable for them to look at GCSEs.

They're crazy competitive because there are vastly more people who want to be a doctor than there are spaces.
I wouldn't say you're bound to get one interview at all. Saying that a) comes across as quite cocky and b) is quite shortsighted. You can do your best, by all means, but interviews are not guaranteed at all. I know many more (on paper) capable candidates who have got rejections without interviews this year.
Reply 73
Original post by hiyarearl
You really need to do some research into Medical schools which don't take into account your GCSE's as much as others when scoring applicants. For example, it'd be useless applying to universities that want X number of A*'s at GCSE as a minimum requirement. Comb over the minimum requirments for Medicine at various universities online and look for those for which you'll have a chance.

I'd also note with those GCSE's try your best to perform well at the UKCAT then apply to universities which use the UKCAT to rank applicants when offering interviews (e.g. Newcastle I think) and then try to wow them at interview.

I'm not sure but I think some of the universities that your GCSE's might not be too much of an issue when applying (if you score highly in the other areas) are: Barts, Aberdeen, Birghton and Sussex, Dundee, Durham, Kings, Leeds, Leiceter, Newcastle, Peninsula, Southampton and St Andrews.

However although the ones above don't score specifically on GCSE's or ask for a set number of GCSE's officially on their requirements by no means is to say that they don't consider them when selecting for interviews. Personally I'd say your best bet is to aim for the Unis which really focus highly on the UKCAT in their selection process and aim to ace that.

Good luck, it's still definitally possible for you to get into Medical School but make sure you can balance out your average (only in a medicial school applicant context!) grades with strong critera elsewhere.

-Kings like massively high GCSEs A* wise, unless you have a massively good UKCAT.
-St Andrews point academics so you need really good GCSEs because they dont weigh up the interview very much.
-Leeds, tend to like all rounders, so good GCSEs are suited for them.

The rest are definitely great suggestions though.
Depends how well you play the game.
Reply 75
Original post by Beska
Ironically, A-Level grades are probably the least significant out of all measures used to select candidates.

??? how does that work?
Reply 76
??? how does that work?

Once a candidate has A*AA/AAA/AAB (whichever is the standard offer) they are not looked at anymore. It is merely a check-box. Having additional or higher A-Levels gives no advantage.
Reply 77
??? how does that work?
Because most applicants don't have them.
Reply 78
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
Depends how well you play the game.

Yeah i need as much help as i can get to play the game right!
Reply 79
Yeah i need as much help as i can get to play the game right!

In the words of one of the recent reapplicant pre-freshers (can't remember who :o:): "Medicine is a game which you need to play in order to know the rules."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending