The Student Room Group

"Prestigous" Uni students looking down the the other Uni's students in the same city

Hey,
I was just wondering, do those at say Oxford, Sheffield, Manchester etc socially interact with people at the lower ranked uni (Oxford brookes, Hallam, Manchester Met) or do you just generally stay with people at your own uni?

My cousin went to oxford brookes and said that the majority of oxford students didnt really bother with those who werent from oxford themselves.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

No we don't interact with them. We keep to ourselves, as we are superior.
Yes the students at the 'better' uni do tend to look down on the lower ranked uni.

Although I can't speak for all cities with two or more universities I can imagine the worst example of this is in Cambridge where you have Cambridge University, one of the world leading institutions and Anglia Ruskin University which is placed in the bottom 20 of the three main league tables.

There is quite a big gulf between Uni of Leeds and Leeds Met also.

The city with the smallest gap between unis in the league tables is proberly Nottingham. University of Nottingham is ranked at approx 20 in the three main league tables, while Nottingham Trent is ranked at about 50. Despite this however, the students at Nottingham proberly still look down on the student s at Trent!
I found on nights out girls who went to the lower ranked university (DMU) at my city were much easier to get with then ones which went to the higher ranked university (Leicester).

I like them thick and easy :awesome:
Actually I've received a fair amount of abuse from Cov students because at Warwick we're all "toffs" apparently. So it goes both ways.
Reply 5
Your thread title and the post don't match up. There's a difference between 'looking down' on another universities students and not interacting with them. Eg I'm sure most Oxford students don't look down on Oxford Brookes students, but they probably still don't interact with them much because there's not much opportunity to do so - they have their own buildings, halls of residences, lectures, social events etc.
Reply 6
Original post by ily_em
Your thread title and the post don't match up. There's a difference between 'looking down' on another universities students and not interacting with them. Eg I'm sure most Oxford students don't look down on Oxford Brookes students, but they probably still don't interact with them much because there's not much opportunity to do so - they have their own buildings, halls of residences, lectures, social events etc.

My thoughts exactly.

However, regarding this whole looking down on people for their uni thing, I'm sure it does happen. But I think most people aren't like that. It's just going to be a few snobby people.
Reply 7
Same in Edinburgh, if your from Queen Margaret, Heriot Watt or Napier. Your a joke.
Reply 8
Original post by ultimate mashup
Yes the students at the 'better' uni do tend to look down on the lower ranked uni.

Although I can't speak for all cities with two or more universities I can imagine the worst example of this is in Cambridge where you have Cambridge University, one of the world leading institutions and Anglia Ruskin University which is placed in the bottom 20 of the three main league tables.

The city with the smallest gap between unis in the league tables is proberly Nottingham. University of Nottingham is ranked at approx 20 in the three main league tables, while Nottingham Trent is ranked at about 50. Despite this however, the students at Nottingham proberly still look down on the student s at Trent!

I'm not sure there's any evidence of this - it's more likely to be that we don't interact with ARU students because we don't really see them (as ily_em) said. I think the colleges are fairly insular communities anyway, so perhaps that exacerbates the problem, to an extent.

There is quite a big gulf between Uni of Leeds and Leeds Met also!

True. Uni of Leeds students look down on Leeds Met students. They don't mingle much at all. There's even a song about the difference in prestige / gulf between Uni of Leeds and Leeds Met.

''If you didn't get into Leeds go to Met'' (to the tune of 'If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands)!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 10
On nights out in Nottingham its commonplace to hear University of Nottingham singing "What's that coming over the hill? Unemployment! Unemployment!" every time a group of Nottingham Trent students are around. They all treat Trent as a bit of a joke tbh.
Original post by TRX45

Original post by TRX45
On nights out in Nottingham its commonplace to hear University of Nottingham singing "What's that coming over the hill? Unemployment! Unemployment!" every time a group of Nottingham Trent students are around. They all treat Trent as a bit of a joke tbh.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OP: Does it matter either way?
Reply 12
Yes

Newcastle-Northumbria, Sheffield-Sheffield Hallam and Nottingham-Nottingham Trent. They'll all be around 30 to 40 positions apart (with the Russell Group universities being late teens and 20s, former polytechnics being amongst the highest ranked at around the 50 and 60 mark).

Really, I don't think people give a toss and those that do are pretentious tits (who are probably fairly ignorant of the league table positions and are not basing their prejudicing on league table positions).
In Sheffield, we have quite a big rivalry but it's only a joke, really. It goes both ways, and I don't think many people take it very seriously. I don't interact with people from Hallam because there's no opportunity to, unless you go on the Uni vs. Hallam bar crawls, or are involved in sports. I wouldn't not speak to someone if I found out they went to Hallam or anything like that!
I look down on everyone, I don't discriminate based on what university they attend. :awesome:
Original post by Nalced
Same in Edinburgh, if your from Queen Margaret, Heriot Watt or Napier. Your a joke.

Is that really true? I was aiming to go to Heriot Watt and have friends in Edinburgh.
Reply 16

My brother goes to Anglia Ruskin, and Cambridge students refer to it as the Early Learning Centre :lol:
Reply 17
Original post by im so academic
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OP: Does it matter either way?

Not really, just interested.
Original post by TRX45

Yes, I've heard the rivalry between Notts and Trent is pretty bad especially the abuse Notts give Trent!! There was an article about the gulf in class and prestige of the two unis a few months ago:

http://www.impactnottingham.com/2011/01/10323/
Original post by Sim188
My brother goes to Anglia Ruskin, and Cambridge students refer to it as the Early Learning Centre :lol:

:rofl: Good one! :smile: