The Student Room Group

Going to the same university as a close friend

Anon or delete
Going to the same university as a close friend. Is this a good idea, if you wanted a fresh start?? Has anyone done this before? Did you cling together all the time?
I know a few people that have done it, naturally you'll most likely be friends with them but you'll be on different courses and accommodation and societies etc so you'll have other friends as well - so it shouldn't be a big issue.
Reply 2
my boyfriend went to the same uni as 2 of his good friends, but they were all in different halls and dont really hang out that much purely because they have made friends with their room mates and course mates etc. They still bump into each other now and again, but it hasnt stopped them making a 'new start'.
Reply 3
personally i would hope for a fresh start at uni where i know no one and can meet lots of new and interesting people and being that there is so many different groups and minority at a university i cant see this being a problem :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Anon or delete
Going to the same university as a close friend. Is this a good idea, if you wanted a fresh start?? Has anyone done this before? Did you cling together all the time?

Half my friendship group are.
Reply 5
The only advantages I can see is that I wont ever feel really lonely, and I can make friends with the friends my friend makes.

I'm just worried I wont be confident enough to change myself with a friend there
Reply 6
me and a group of 5 close friends are all going to the same uni and all applying for the same accomodation, so don't see it as a problem
I did this for my first year. Me and a close friend from college both went to the same uni, both in the same accomodation, but I was in the block of flats next door to her. (yes it was a girl).

I hung about in her flat most of the time tbh, because I didn't really know any one else, and because I really liked her as well :tongue: But obviously as time passed I made friends on my course, hung about more with my flat mates and eventually it got to a point where it was difficult to hang out with her any more, simply because they all had they're own inside jokes and knew each other, because they all live together and it made it difficult to engage in conversation when I knew nothing about what they were talking about.

I'm in my second year now, different accomodation and different (and in some regards, better) friends. I still talk to this friend every now and then, but honestly, I haven't actually spoken to her face to face for about 1 year :/ kinda sucks I guess, I'd like to be able to talk to her properly again... ohh well

~Dark
I know a load of people who all went to the same uni and to be honest you all make your own friends when you get there anyway so you wont really see each other that much unless you want to! :smile:
I think it would be quite reassuring to have a familiar face, especially at first but soon enough you'll develop new friends through classes and social events so i don't think it would hold you back!
Reply 10
It'd be nice to know at least one person at your chosen uni- there's certainly no harm at all in it, the effects can only be positive.
I've firmed the same uni as my boyfriend. FML. I wanted to have fun over freshers... :frown:
But seriously, I wouldn't like it, but it would never STOP me from firming it. You'd regret it later on! Good luck with decisions :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending