The Student Room Group

which to firm? KCL or Edinburgh? Please help!

I need to decide soon between Kings college and Edinburgh for a 6 year medical degree. I live 20 miles outside London.
What do you think?
Please ideas welcome.:smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Jenny Burge
I need to decide soon between Kings college and Edinburgh for a 6 year medical degree. I live 20 miles outside London.
What do you think?

I can only speak as someone who has applied to King's, so haven't really got firsthand knowledge of either course. Something worth thinking about though is how far you want to be away from home. You say you live 20 miles outside London, is your house within the M25? I believe King's ranks people who have previously lived within the M25 below others when it comes to assigning halls. So, there's a chance that if you wanted to live in halls at King's for your first year, you wouldn't be able to.
Reply 2
have you visited edinburgh, do you like the idea of basing a significant time in your life in a different country and gaining a whole new sense of independence or do you prefer the london scene and being near home, it's all where you'd like to see yourself over the next 6 years so don't just think short term, ediburgh might seem exciting at first but it is for six whole yearrrrrrs, is there any difference in teaching style etc. are you bored of london. thinkk
What do you think?

I am going to kill you and eat your soul.

yum yum.
Reply 4
Oh man, that's a tough decision.

Both are really good unis.

And really nice cities.

Would you rather live in Edinburgh or London?
Reply 5
KCL as London in my opinion is the best city in the world, with the best teaching hospitals!
GKT obviously :colone:
Reply 7
Remember that you can always go back and train in London after you graduate. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by winning11

have you visited edinburgh, do you like the idea of basing a significant time in your life in a different country and gaining a whole new sense of independence or do you prefer the london scene and being near home, it's all where you'd like to see yourself over the next 6 years so don't just think short term, ediburgh might seem exciting at first but it is for six whole yearrrrrrs, is there any difference in teaching style etc. are you bored of london. thinkk

Very thought provoking info.... thanks. Useful.
Reply 9
Original post by Mushi_master

Original post by Mushi_master
GKT obviously :colone:

Encoraging reply..... but what about accomodation in London. What did you do first year?
Reply 10
Original post by Duckasaurus

Original post by Duckasaurus
I can only speak as someone who has applied to King's, so haven't really got firsthand knowledge of either course. Something worth thinking about though is how far you want to be away from home. You say you live 20 miles outside London, is your house within the M25? I believe King's ranks people who have previously lived within the M25 below others when it comes to assigning halls. So, there's a chance that if you wanted to live in halls at King's for your first year, you wouldn't be able to.

Good point but we are outside M25 so should be fine.... but thanks for pointing out. Any other points gratefully received
Reply 11

Answer very useful... thanks
Reply 12
Original post by thewiseone

Original post by thewiseone
I am going to kill you and eat your soul.

yum yum.

Why o Why?
Reply 13
Original post by ECullen

Original post by ECullen
KCL as London in my opinion is the best city in the world, with the best teaching hospitals!

Thanks..... where are you? Edinburgh ranks so high, why not KIngs?
Encoraging reply..... but what about accomodation in London. What did you do first year?

I lived in halls nextdoor to the main lecture theatre, and there are plenty of options for other halls (as I'm sure most universities have).
What do you think?

Tough choice but I'd be inclined to go for Edinburgh. If you've ever been to Edinburgh then you would understand the majesty of the city.

*Cries inside

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending