The Student Room Group

Dropping a Subject at GCSE

Hi,

I recently got back some ICT coursework and realised that my grades aren't too good. We have until the end of this week to resubmit any work however I really don't think I'll have time to get it all done.

In my other subjects, I have A* grades across the board and I am predicted full A*s at GCSE. However GCSE ICT is 60% coursework so if I am unable to redo this coursework to a sufficient standard it is unlikely I will achieve an A* or even an A at GCSE level.

My question is, would it (in your opinion) be better to stick with the subject, get a B or something and let this blemish a set of results with (most likely) A* grades or to drop the subject so that I would have one less GCSE but at least a set of very good grades would not be spoilt by the ICT grade. I'm only asking because I'm going to apply to Oxbridge for uni but I am not sure what will jeopardise my chances more, dropping the subject and have one less GCSE but very good grades for the rest or sticking with it so I have the same number of GCSE grades as everyone else but one of them isn't as good as the rest. I know Oxbridge look at A levels as well however I'm applying for Law which is very competitive so they will be paying attention to my GCSE grades. What do you guys think?

Thanks
Rob
I wouldn't. B is still a pass. My ICT coursework is due in on the 13th, and I'm VERY behind, and I put all my spare time into it. Just spend this week doing ICT.
Reply 2
How many other GCSEs are you doing? If you're only doing 8 or 9 (some people do this few, apparently) then dropping one really isn't a good idea.

If you have, say, 10 A* and then 1 B, you will really not be disadvantaged next to someone with 10 A*. In both cases, both your number and percentage of A* would be very high. (You may also find that having an ICT qualification is useful in the short term - I managed to get a job in sixth form based mainly on the fact that I had demonstrably good IT skills.)
Depends how many GCSEs you are already doing. If you are doing 9 already then dropping another one is not a good idea, but if you started off doing 10 or 11, you should be alright.

It's always a tough one; would you prefer 9A*s or 9A*s and a B? I doubt it would make that much difference, I'd be inclined to prefer 9A*s but I know someone who got 10A*s and a B, and that B actually gave him another 'point' in the requirements and aided his application.

I think the best thing you can do is pull your finger out and upgrade this coursework to as best as you can. If after your marks come back it isn't as good as you'd hoped, by all means drop it/ consider what you want to do, but for now, just get the work done to the best of your ability, and I'm sure you'll be okay
Reply 4
If I keep ICT, I will have 12 and a half (as in a half course) GCSEs, if I drop it I will have 11 and a half. I will probably try to do as much as possible this week however I just don't want to get to my Oxbridge interview (assuming I get one) and they demand I explain this B :P Or worse still, I'm worried this could stop me from getting an interview as Law is extremely competitive
Original post by DrSwitched
If I keep ICT, I will have 12 and a half (as in a half course) GCSEs, if I drop it I will have 11 and a half. I will probably try to do as much as possible this week however I just don't want to get to my Oxbridge interview (assuming I get one) and they demand I explain this B :P Or worse still, I'm worried this could stop me from getting an interview as Law is extremely competitive

Some places have 'A* % requirements', meaning a certain amount of students, with say, 70% A*s or more will get interviewed, or will get the relevant amount of points etc. Having a B won't hinder you if you have 11.5 others mostly A*, but again, I'd say work very hard and see what you can get on ICT coursework, if you don't think it looks good, then drop it
Reply 6
Ok, thanks for the advice guys
Reply 7
Nah, as long as you have 9 good grades because often they only want to see your best 9 as this is the maximum number alot if schools allow students to take. You're human and dint have to be good at everything; frankly had I taken ict I would have failed, the university will likely overlook it as Alevels are the most important thing.
Reply 8
Hey,

You're not the only one who seems to fall behind in ICT...

I'm getting good grades all around but my ICT grade is simply awful. My teacher is so bad it makes me angry just thinking about it. My coursework is so behind that I'm considering not turning up to the exams as it wont make much difference.

Our class does 4 projects, and in most of them I've only done like 1/10 of it and had to skip to the next one. Now it's all coming back to haunt me, I've only got until friday to hand in all CW and I've found out that because of the CW i'm also doing a foundation exam. I still fail to see how the two are related but apperently to my stupid teacher they are.

:/ I feel so guilty about failing this as I'm actually so good with computers...
I'm planning to do a Computer Science Course at Uni... I know that ICT has very little to do with actual Computer Science but still... I've never had a grade C so it feels like failing completely. Well tbh I don't even think I'll get a C with the coursework I have now.
Reply 9
I'd say go for it, if you get As and A*s other then that no one will question your intelligence much, plus it's good to see your able to do ICT or not with the gcse, whether you can or not.
Reply 10
Original post by T@kU
Hey,

You're not the only one who seems to fall behind in ICT...

I'm getting good grades all around but my ICT grade is simply awful. My teacher is so bad it makes me angry just thinking about it. My coursework is so behind that I'm considering not turning up to the exams as it wont make much difference.

Our class does 4 projects, and in most of them I've only done like 1/10 of it and had to skip to the next one. Now it's all coming back to haunt me, I've only got until friday to hand in all CW and I've found out that because of the CW i'm also doing a foundation exam. I still fail to see how the two are related but apperently to my stupid teacher they are.

:/ I feel so guilty about failing this as I'm actually so good with computers...
I'm planning to do a Computer Science Course at Uni... I know that ICT has very little to do with actual Computer Science but still... I've never had a grade C so it feels like failing completely. Well tbh I don't even think I'll get a C with the coursework I have now.

I sympathise mate, the subject is just pointless, I wish I hadn't taken it. The thought of the fact that I could have had straight A*s and As yet it is probably going to be spoilt by ICT really annoys me too :P

Do you have any way of appealing the schools decision to force you to do foundation?
Reply 11
Original post by Implo
I'd say go for it, if you get As and A*s other then that no one will question your intelligence much, plus it's good to see your able to do ICT or not with the gcse, whether you can or not.

Yeah good point Implo. I think I'm going to stick with it and just work really hard this week. I can easily get 90% or more in the terminal exam so as long as I can get my coursework up to the B-A threshold then I think it's possible to get A or A*
Reply 12
Yeah good point Implo. I think I'm going to stick with it and just work really hard this week. I can easily get 90% or more in the terminal exam so as long as I can get my coursework up to the B-A threshold then I think it's possible to get A or A*

Good Luck man :smile: My I.T coursework is due Thursday :s-smilie: But I'm doing OCR National hehe it's easy as hell. Hope you do well.
Reply 13
Definetely do it and have that extra B! How could you think 9A*s or something looks better than 9A*s with a B? Its an extra qualification!
Reply 14
Original post by meerkaatt
Definetely do it and have that extra B! How could you think 9A*s or something looks better than 9A*s with a B? Its an extra qualification!

Valid point but when applying to Oxbridge that B could lead to serious questions (as illogical as it might seem) from what I've heard (although I appreciate the Oxbridge horror stories can be somewhat misleading)

Like I said, I'll probably talk to the teacher tomorrow and see what she recommends.
Reply 15
For example, if a percentage system of A* grades was used: 9A* = 100% whereas... well you know the rest. I have no idea whether they use that system but I just don't want them to get my application look down the list and see B/C or something and think "no potential here" :P (I am a little prone to hyperbole, I know but you get the idea)
Reply 16
Oh gosh, I didn't realise that's how they marked your grades. I didn't get A*s at GCSE (A-B) so there we are... guess that's why I don't know hahhaa.
But seriously, I think that's so silly how they mark you down if you get that extra B (shows you tried hard) instead of dropping it and getting a higher % (surely dropping a GCSE shows traits of failure, lack of determination and willing to give up?). I know you're finding the subject hard, but jeez they can't expect you to be perfect at everything :/
Reply 17
Oh gosh, I didn't realise that's how they marked your grades. I didn't get A*s at GCSE (A-B) so there we are... guess that's why I don't know hahhaa.
But seriously, I think that's so silly how they mark you down if you get that extra B (shows you tried hard) instead of dropping it and getting a higher % (surely dropping a GCSE shows traits of failure, lack of determination and willing to give up?). I know you're finding the subject hard, but jeez they can't expect you to be perfect at everything :/

I'm not finding the theory hard (in fact I got full marks in my mock for the theory paper), I just haven't done well at the coursework as apparently I missed out a load of stuff which I don't recall her telling me to put in lol :P I see what you are saying and I agree with you completely, I would rather stick with the subject but I'm just thinking about my Oxbridge application.
Reply 18
I'm not finding the theory hard (in fact I got full marks in my mock for the theory paper), I just haven't done well at the coursework as apparently I missed out a load of stuff which I don't recall her telling me to put in lol :P I see what you are saying and I agree with you completely, I would rather stick with the subject but I'm just thinking about my Oxbridge application.

Hmm, it's all up to you :smile: I'm just shocked about all these A*s you're getting! Haha:eek:
Reply 19
Hmm, it's all up to you :smile: I'm just shocked about all these A*s you're getting! Haha:eek:

Lol it comes at the price of having no social life haha! After consultation with my ICT teacher, things aren't as bad as they seemed, I can still get an A/A* if I work really hard for the entirety of this week.

Quick Reply

Latest