The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
My friend goes to the University of Bath and they all refer to people who go Bath Spa (even the boys) the "Bath Spa Sluts".
I have two philosophy teachers - one went to Oxford Brookes, the other went to Oxford - apparently there was quite a divide between students, but that doesn't mean there was animosity, just lack of contact.

And both are good teachers, it's just that the one from Brookes sets reasonable amounts of work :P
I wouldn't say there's a huge gulf between the Sussex and Brighton students, although maybe it's because whilst Brighton beat Sussex at sport, Sussex beat Brighton for academics.
Reply 43
Original post by TRX45
On nights out in Nottingham its commonplace to hear University of Nottingham singing "What's that coming over the hill? Unemployment! Unemployment!" every time a group of Nottingham Trent students are around. They all treat Trent as a bit of a joke tbh.

Trent has got one of the best employment rates in the country, and for a university which is one of the biggest, its not a bad achievement. Its employment rate is much higher than uni of nottingham, so really they are singing about themselves...
Reply 44
Original post by TRX45
On nights out in Nottingham its commonplace to hear University of Nottingham singing "What's that coming over the hill? Unemployment! Unemployment!" every time a group of Nottingham Trent students are around. They all treat Trent as a bit of a joke tbh.

But Trent's got a higher rate of graduate employment than Notts. :confused:
Apparently whenever Warwick play Coventry at hockey all the guys and girls have a bunch of chants for them.

My personal favourite:

'Give me an E' 'E'
'Give me a D' 'D'
'Give me an F' 'F'
'What have you got?'
All: YOUR A LEVEL RESULTS!!!!1!
Reply 46
Do Southampton have anything for Southampton Solent or vice versa?
Original post by TRX45

Within a number of months from graduating from Trent the employment rate is extremely high, one of the highest in the country. There are also certain niche degrees people can't find at Nottingham which they can at Trent, this is why they attend Trent regardless of whether they can score A*s or not
To whoever wrote the thread you wrote prestigous wrong. It's prestigious.

I've wanted to be a teacher for ages, and only two top universities do my course, the rest being polytechnics. I'm perfectly capable of going to Oxford and achieving AAA but I've decided to do something I like which means I'm going to be at Brookes. I'm not dumb.
Reply 49
Original post by Lemozo
But Trent's got a higher rate of graduate employment than Notts. :confused:

It's just banter, not worth taking too seriously, playing on the stereotype of ex-poly students (whether this is always the reality is a different matter).

For those Nottingam students who genuinely think they have a significantly better employment rate, as there will be some, then the joke's on them I suppose...
Reply 50
on a drunk imperial night out we pissed on one of the southbank buildings lol.
Reply 51
Original post by Callum828
Apparently whenever Warwick play Coventry at hockey all the guys and girls have a bunch of chants for them.

My personal favourite:

'Give me an E' 'E'
'Give me a D' 'D'
'Give me an F' 'F'
'What have you got?'
All: YOUR A LEVEL RESULTS!!!!1!

And if I was a Conventry student I would point out to the students at Warwick that you can't actually get an F at A level.
i go to leeds met and for the past 2 years have lived with two different groups of leeds uni students,
generally find have one housemate who thinks my work/degree/dissertation is useless and not worth anything and thereofre she should be able to be an arse to me like hving a party while im trying to write my diss! thats not just because i go to met though its also because i dont do a science..

but generally most people are nice..........
x
Reply 53
The chants in these thread are so :rofl:
Original post by Nalced
Same in Edinburgh, if your from Queen Margaret, Heriot Watt or Napier. Your a joke.

By your grammar I'm guessing 'you're' a joke then.
Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x
i go to leeds met and for the past 2 years have lived with two different groups of leeds uni students,
generally find have one housemate who thinks my work/degree/dissertation is useless and not worth anything and thereofre she should be able to be an arse to me like hving a party while im trying to write my diss! thats not just because i go to met though its also because i dont do a science..

but generally most people are nice..........
x

Unfortunately life involves dealing with many people like that, consider it good practice for when you have to put up with an ******** boss. :smile:
Reply 56
I once knew a guy that when hitting on my girlfriend mentioned he studied at Cambridge having known a few Oxbridge graduates I asked him what college he was at to which his reply was "um Cambridge"..... it turned out he studied Zoology at ARU. What a prat.

Glasgow students look down on Strathclyde students, it doesn't help that they are on opposite sides of the city. I think Strathclyde is a decent uni. Having went to an ex-poly then onto a prestigious uni and top 5 rated professional course I know that a lot of it's down to social circumstances and not how smart the student is in the end.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by triiden
Hey,
I was just wondering, do those at say Oxford, Sheffield, Manchester etc socially interact with people at the lower ranked uni (Oxford brookes, Hallam, Manchester Met) or do you just generally stay with people at your own uni?

My cousin went to oxford brookes and said that the majority of oxford students didnt really bother with those who werent from oxford themselves.

Thanks!

I did a teaching course at Oxford Brookes. I had a great time and got on well with the people there. I think people like to ham up the Brookes/Oxford divide. It's not as prevalent as people might think :smile:
Original post by TRX45

TBH that just makes University of Nottingham students seem really awful.
Reply 59
Can't say for definite but as least one Birmingham medic has told me theres a little hierarchy in Birmingham:

Birmingham Uni > Aston > Birmingham City.

Latest

Trending

Trending