The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

How clever are people at Warwick?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by im so academic
Out of interest, why didn't you apply for Oxbridge if you wanted to be surrounded with intellectual students?

Warwick Maths is the "exception" tbh.

Idiotic post.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by mrengineer
Recently, I submitted my firm of Warwick, and insurance of Nottingham for Civil Engineering.

Nottingham have sent me an information pack saying that if I get AAA and have Nottingham as firm then I am entitled to money. This has put me off greatly, considering I am aiming for A*A*Aa, and would be the exception rather than the norm. Being surrounded by ABB/AAB students, whilst clever, wouldn't push me as hard as more intellectual students would.

So, I was wondering what the average Warwick students grades are, as I'd like to be surrounded by people who are just as, preferably more, clever than I am. This is so I have plenty of healthy competition, and people above me in the class to strive to be as good as.

Before people say grades aren't everything, I admit they aren't everything, but they are a good indicator of how intelligent you are.

Grades are a good indicator of how good you are at passing A-level exams, not necessarily how intelligent you are when it comes to doing a degree. Some people really blossom at university and others, who came out with A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* at A-level flop.

Just because someone went to a university with an AAB offer doesn't necessarily mean that's all they could achieve. There are plenty of people out there who choose university over reputation, thus might have actually achieved A*A*A* at A-level, but taken up a lower offer because they preferred the university/course for whatever reason. Also, bear in mind that it's not always the case that the universities with the most intelligent students make the highest offers. Thirdly, there will be some students at every university who held that university as their insurance choice but missed their firm offer because they messed up their A-levels and got ABB instead of the AAA they were expecting, for example. It happens frequently and doesn't mean that they aren't going to be more intelligent than you at university.

With regards to Warwick specifically, it's going to differ, but I'm fairly certain when I say that no one there is going to be stupid. Warwick attracts some of the country's very best students, particularly for subjects like Maths and Law. I can't say for Engineering, but I doubt very much you'd find someone who was significantly less capable academically than yourself, and I'm sure there will be some who are better as well.

I think you're being a little naive in thinking, however, that A-level success always constitutes the type of intelligence required for a degree. This applies even more so to 'new' subjects that people generally haven't studied at A-level (like Medicine, Engineering and Law), when anything can happen.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 42
Recently, I submitted my firm of Warwick, and insurance of Nottingham for Civil Engineering.

Nottingham have sent me an information pack saying that if I get AAA and have Nottingham as firm then I am entitled to money. This has put me off greatly, considering I am aiming for A*A*Aa, and would be the exception rather than the norm. Being surrounded by ABB/AAB students, whilst clever, wouldn't push me as hard as more intellectual students would.

So, I was wondering what the average Warwick students grades are, as I'd like to be surrounded by people who are just as, preferably more, clever than I am. This is so I have plenty of healthy competition, and people above me in the class to strive to be as good as.

Before people say grades aren't everything, I admit they aren't everything, but they are a good indicator of how intelligent you are.

I did my undergraduate degree at Nottingham and am doing my postgrad at Warwick, so I feel like I'm pretty well placed to answer this.

Students at Warwick are not intrinsically more intelligent. However, they work harder, and are generally more motivated. They also have a higher sense of self-importance because Warwick is an academically higher ranked university than Nottingham.

I've still met 3 or 4 people at each university that I would consider truly intelligent. The rest are above average, and work hard.
Original post by Stenner
Idiotic post.

Agreed. Congrats on your Warwick offer btw - you've had pretty bad luck with UCAS but Warwick is such a great place anyway! :smile:
Out of interest, why didn't you apply for Oxbridge if you wanted to be surrounded with intellectual students?

...Because Oxbridge is the only place that produces intellectual students. :rolleyes:
Original post by Rascacielos

Original post by Rascacielos
...Because Oxbridge is the only place that produces intellectual students. :rolleyes:

They are two universities I would first associate with intellectual students. :smile:

Warwick engineering is actually one of the unis more lenient with their offers. My housemates are both on the Meng with ABC and BBCC (Mechanical and Automotive, respectively) and getting on with the course fine (solid 2.1's, even a couple of firsts this year!)

Grade offers aren't everything.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 47

Warwick Maths is the "exception" tbh.

I was only given ABB predictions which was deserved with my mental state at the time and my work ethic. I am considering re-applying next year, although my preferred choice would be Imperial over Oxbridge.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by innerhollow
I also very much doubt that Nottingham gives money to any pupil who firms them and gets AAA.

I very highly doubt that the University of Nottingham would lie to me in their information pack they sent to me.
Reply 49
They are two universities I would first associate with intellectual students. :smile:

Of course.

We are INSANELY clever.
Smartest people in the universe!

Naww.
Grades mean nothing. I got ABBB and got into Warwick (grades for my course have now gone up to AAB if you have two sciences, AAA if not). But hey, I got all As at AS and then didn't bother revising for my A2s. Not so clever.
So many people are at Warwick doing maths, maths-related courses or science that you constantly find yourself interacting with people who are clearly very intelligent.
I wouldn't worry about a lack of challenge on your course either to be honest.
It doesn't even really matter if everyone sitting around you in lectures is super-dumb or super-clever either to be honest, it's not like school. People rarely question the lecturers or get asked questions (at least not on my course), and you don't have a clue about how well others or doing or their grades unless you ask them directly.
It should be more about you setting your own personal goals i.e. "I want to get a First on this essay", rather than thinking "I don't have to try, everyone here is dumber than me so I'm immediately top of the class".
Reply 51
Lol I'm predicted better grades :smile:
I very highly doubt that the University of Nottingham would lie to me in their information pack they sent to me.

Look, I can either choose the take the word of some randomer on the internet, or I can consider what makes logical sense. Why would Nottingham give any reasonable money to anyone who gets good grades and firms them? They are not in shortage of either of those two groups of people.

The most likely thing is that you've read some stuff about scholarships for people who get good grades, and misinterpreted it.
Reply 53
Look, I can either choose the take the word of some randomer on the internet, or I can consider what makes logical sense. Why would Nottingham give any reasonable money to anyone who gets good grades and firms them? They are not in shortage of either of those two groups of people.

The most likely thing is that you've read some stuff about scholarships for people who get good grades, and misinterpreted it.

Scholarships = money i don't have to pay back = money.

And if you bothered to read my original post, you would have seen that would be for Civil Engineering applicants.
Reply 54
While I'm sure Warwick is filled with amazingly smart people, but although they're good for a number of subjects (incl. maths), they're not that strong for engineering and back when I applied a few years ago, were desperate for "top" students to go there. I'm sure Warwick engineers are smart, but I think the OP's question is legitimate one people shouldn't write off so easily.
Reply 55
Original post by spocckka
Lol I'm predicted better grades :smile:

Good for you, congrats on the successful begging of your teachers!
Man, I hope intelligence for you doesn't involve a good grasp of your native tongue, else you'll be seriously disappointed one day.
Reply 57
Original post by Peel
While I'm sure Warwick is filled with amazingly smart people, but although they're good for a number of subjects (incl. maths), they're not that strong for engineering and back when I applied a few years ago, were desperate for "top" students to go there. I'm sure Warwick engineers are smart, but I think the OP's question is legitimate one people shouldn't write off so easily.

So say if I end up getting A*A*Aa in A levels, would you say it'd be worth me taking a year out and reapplying next year to imperial and oxbridge?

Would a warwick engineering degree hinder me at all?
Reply 58

IIRC correctly they were offering actually offering money to AAAers who firmed them back in 2008. It made logical sense, at least back then - lots of people applying with AAA were very likely to take up offers from Oxbridge, Imperial, Bristol, Soton which were arguably considered better, or equal engineering departments. To attract these students who might have applied but not have necessarily firmed Notts before, they offer a financial incentive. Better students = better department = increased reputation over time, etc ,etc.
Reply 59
So say if I end up getting A*A*Aa in A levels, would you say it'd be worth me taking a year out and reapplying next year to imperial and oxbridge?

Would a warwick engineering degree hinder me at all?

A Warwick engineering degree won't hinder you, but it won't give you an advantage as it doesn't have particularly strong links to industry - Nottingham on the other hand does have very strong links to industry.

Is it worth taking a year out and reapplying? Depends on your reasons for doing so tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest