The Student Room Group

Further mathematics topics

Hello everyone!
I'm an Italian 16 year-old student who is probably going to study maths in Britain for university, and so I was wondering what maths was like out there. I don't know if this is the right place where asking this, but can anyone tell me about the topics you deal with while studying FM? A list of all the topics would be really great, as I'm going to ask my teacher if the topics match pretty much with ours, so that I could .

Thank you in advance!! :smile:
Original post by FFC94
Hello everyone!
I'm an Italian 16 year-old student who is probably going to study maths in Britain for university, and so I was wondering what maths was like out there. I don't know if this is the right place where asking this, but can anyone tell me about the topics you deal with while studying FM? A list of all the topics would be really great, as I'm going to ask my teacher if the topics match pretty much with ours, so that I could .

Thank you in advance!! :smile:

In Britain, there are a large number of possible Further Maths combinations and from different Awarding Bodies and they do not all cover the same content. Topics might include matrices, complex numbers, series, proof by induction, conics, hyperbolic functions, groups, differential equations, numerical methods, mechanics, statistics and decision mathematics.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr M
In Britain, there are a large number of possible Further Maths combinations and from different Awarding Bodies and they do not all cover the same content. Topics might include matrices, complex numbers, series, proof by induction, conics, hyperbolic functions, groups, differential equations, numerical methods, mechanics, statistics and decision mathematics.

Uhm... I see... I think we'll never study some of those mentioned... amyway, I'll ask... but in case, is there any good book for self-studying? Or are they different according to the topics?
Again, thank you! :smile:
Original post by FFC94
Uhm... I see... I think we'll never study some of those mentioned... amyway, I'll ask... but in case, is there any good book for self-studying? Or are they different according to the topics?
Again, thank you! :smile:

They are all different. These are both quite good:

Reply 4
Original post by Mr M
They are all different. These are both quite good:

Do they cover most of the topics?
And would you suggest buying both or one is fairly enough? (of course, I must be sure to do everything as better as possible, as I'd like to enter a top uni)
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest