The Student Room Group

PBL learning.

How do I know if PBL learning is for me, I know all medical schools are good so I'm basing one of my criteria on the type of teaching. Could anybody give me pros and cons of each and if anybody is currently being taught by lectures and PBL your opinions would be really helpful. I'm tempted to tilt more towards the PBL type but I'm worried it may leave out large gaps in the scientific theory compared to if a lecturer teaches it.
Reply 1
PBL is how you learn almost everything in medicine over the 40-or-so years you would be practising. You can choose to delay that for two or you can embrace it and crack on.
Reply 2
Original post by Renal
PBL is how you learn almost everything in medicine over the 40-or-so years you would be practising. You can choose to delay that for two or you can embrace it and crack on.

True. Did you do PBL?
Reply 3
The pros/cons list is pretty balanced insofar as one teaching method doesn't have a clear, objective advantage. I've seen people argue the toss on this forum for years and years about which is the superior way of learning, with journal articles flying around and whatnot but (the thing you're dreading hearing...) at the end of the day it's a very personal decision and you just need to decide based on how well you think you will learn. The only way to really compare them is for somebody to be taught a medical degree using PBL, examined, and then for them to be taught a medical degree using LBL, and then the examinations compared. This is obviously impossible, so the debate on which is a better way of learning will pretty much continue until the cows come home.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but subjectively, I had to decide between firming a LBL medical school (which in the end I did) or a PBL medical school. I can probably conclude my internal pros/cons list discussions as "it's better the devil you know" - sure, LBL and didactic teaching have their faults but I know I am able to succeed using them; whereas on the other hand for PBL I have no idea about what the learning method is like. For me, I thought it's best to stick to the method I am most familiar with and deal with the downsides.
Look at your qualifications and aptitude test results, and see if you have the best chance of getting into a school that uses PBL. Surprise! PBL is now your ideal learning style, and has been ever since you burnt your pajamas and figured out what to do about it by asking six other toddlers who'd read the pajama page on wikipedia.
I dont know all the pros and cons of the different styles of learning or what benefits other unis have but im on a PBL course ( which i was kinda worries about at first) and i now couldnt imagine being able to deal with a course where my teaching was done in lectures as i find that lectures is the one session in which i really take in nothing as its so hard to keep up with everything and get good notes ect.

for me what i find best about PBL is that i can go to my room and look at my questions and objectives and work through them at a depth which i understand and in an order that suits me,
it is all backed up by optional lectures which are online as well so you can get the notes
the other teaching session then also teach you all you need to know as well as guide you as to wether or not you have done enough work.

If your good at self directed learning and just getting on with it then PBL is great in my opinion as i get bored sat for hours listening to someone ramble on!
Reply 6
PBL, Traditional or Both? (Mainly from page 5 onwards)

PBL versus sytem based - pros and cons

^^^ You might find these useful
Reply 7
Original post by ryan118244
PBL, Traditional or Both? (Mainly from page 5 onwards)

PBL versus sytem based - pros and cons

^^^ You might find these useful

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending